Main Menu

Batman Begins

Started by LARF, 30 July, 2004, 06:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr D

I think it all looks really good!!

Nolan is a fantastic filmmaker, and looks to be making this Batman genuinely gritty instead of faux gritty. Even if a lot of time is spent on the pre-bat years (whch I doubt considering the noises being made from the production team) I'd still be happy with it from the looks of that brief snippit.

Incidentally, did the idea of Batman driving round a modified sports car ever strike anyone else a every so slightly stupid? At least the new one is a sensible choice of vehicle!!

Goyer has slightly dodgy roots, but looks like he's finally become a decent screenwriter.

Tingling in anticipation now.

Misanthrope

Looks even worse in action.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Bart Oliver

++ I think it all looks really good!! ++

Sure, in all fairness the crack about all snow and no action was a little flippant.

I can appreciate the advanced trailer is there to set the general mood of the project without giving up too much of the good stuff; The sauce and I think it does that just fine.

(Pauses and remembers how good the Phantom Menace advanced trailer was 8[ )

Nolan just has to make good on this which I'm confident he will.

As for the Batmobile although I like the squat, low-to-the-road, kit car meets Hum Vee aesthetic perhaps the designers should have pushed the military surplus feel further and thrown in some half-tracks..

I've always rated Batman Year One over Return Of The Dark Knight in terms of concrete noir so if the screenplay is anywhere close to Miller's strip we're in for a cracker- digits crossed.

B.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

Generally Contrary

Slight tangent - so Batman: Year One is a worthy buy, yes?

Bolt-01

AJ: Oh yes. Year one is an absolute classic story, and the art is sublime.

If you've never read it, you should.

http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=davide> Bolt-01

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Bolt-01/Whistler_sig_pic.jpg">

Mr D

GC - Yes. I just got it the other week (with Year Two and Dark Knight Returns)

I liked Dark Knight Returns a lot, but Year One slightly pipped it for me.

Don't get me started on Year Two.

Year one though, definitely worth a read, and a decent buy.

Mr C

Get the Long Halloween and Dark Victory whilst you're at it.

VampiraJen

this whole dodgy batmobile thing - could it be a journey from what he is to what he will be.  it strikes me that this film will be about his journey to becoming the batman.  and also gaining the technologies to get a cool batmobile, giant computer, batbelt, shark-repelant, etc.

Mr D

I've been told about them, but not picked them up because of the bad taste Year Two left.

Mr C

Trust me Dribs, they're nothing like Y2!

Mr D

Thank gawd!! I'll give them a look then.

Bart Oliver

Re: this whole dodgy batmobile thing.. Well I'd be inclined to say that, yeah, if we assume that Wayne Industries 'secret development wing' is in it's infancy that is why the Batmobile has an unpolished, work-in-progess look about it.

As for Batman Year One it's a must read for anyone who has even the slightest interest in all things Gotham.

The fact that you can still find it on the shelves of most stores that cater for the graphic novel reading public is a testament to it's quality.

B.

Obviously you're not a golfer.