S P O I L E R S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

But why did they have to kill Wash?  *sniff*  Did you notice how his dinosaurs were still on the dashboard afterwards?

Mind you, that really upped the tension - I had no idea who was going to live or die after that.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Rex Banner

After that I thought they were going for the big Blake's 7 finish.

Bad Andy

Floyd Kermode made it film of the week incidentally

S P O I L E R S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

I'm glad they killed off wash and Book. They were crap anyway.

Funt Solo

What I'd love is if the movie sparked a new tv series.  

---------------------

Did the movie break the "no sound in space" rule from the series?

(I wouldn't blame it:  swords being drawn out of leather scabbards are silent, but in all movies they go "swiiiish", like metal on metal.)
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Rex Banner

As far as I remember, yes there was no sound in space.

Used especially well when Serenity took off from planetside & was very noisy in the atmosphere until you hit the silence.

Here's hoping for a new series too.

Although currently enjoying Lost. Series two.

Max Kon

but to make that sound they record a sword being pulled out of a scabard

Funt Solo

I'd happily admit that I'm wrong, Max, as my only source of info. for that psuedo-factoid was some SFX bloke on a DVD extras thing going on about it.

Max Kon

i watched something on the guys who record the sounds for film, called duffers i think, and they do all the actions to make the sound. So maybe it's the metal at the opening of the scabard that causes it to make that noise?

Max

IndigoPrime

:: And it's a three picture deal providing Serenity does well.

Yeah, but it really, really isn't at the moment. US box office takings have been fairly dismal, and it looks set to only scrap back into the top 10 in its second week.

:: Did the movie break the "no sound in space" rule?

Yup, unfortunately. There's lots of fssshWWWWW noises in space, apparently. Luckily, a lot of this wasn't too noticeable, due to the VERY NOISY SOUNDTRACK that accompanied half the space scenes.

Carlsborg Expert

Who is this Mr Dobson?

Link: file://c:[backslash]Documents and Settings[backslash]Ant[backslash]My Documents[backslash]My Pictures[backslash]serenity.jpg" target="_blank">Is he the bad guy?

Rex Banner

Can't get link to work.

This is the bad guy.

Link: http://serenitymovie.com/nonflash_site/bio_ca_11.html" target="_blank">Bad guy

Thursday

"Did the movie break the "no sound in space" rule from the series?"

Well...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

I read an interview with the man Whedon a few weeks back mentioning this specific point (probably linked from somewhere on this board, if anyone can be botherd digging around).

The big battle bit actually happens inside an ion cloudy thing, so it's not really space.    Claiming it as atmosphere is probably pushing it and I'm not sure it'd be dense enough to transmit much sound, but technically it doesn't break the 'no sound in space' guideline.

As for the film in general, I was surprised at how grim the general tone was, even without the deaths of main characters.  Gotta say, I was pretty convinced the whole thing was going to be one of River's hallucinations.

IndigoPrime

I have to say, Whedon is clearly clutching at straws, because there were clearly audible space sounds throughout the _entire_ film, not just in the ion cloud. I'm guessing he had no choice and that the studio demanded these sections to have sound, because that's what people expect.

Art

Well, theres the hull-vibrations get out as well.

Also it's not like real space because nobody smokes.http://www.warrenellis.com/pfile/spacemansmoke.jpg">