Main Menu

US Political News - "Scooter" Libby indicted; Rove to follow?

Started by The Amstor Computer, 29 October, 2005, 04:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

For anyone who's been watching this over the past couple of years, you might be interested to know that the Lewis "Scooter" Libby, senior assistant to the Vice President of the United States, has just been indicted on five charges (two counts of perjury, two of giving a false statement and one of obstructing justice, IIRC) in the investigation into the leaking of the identity of a CIA agent, apparently by way of revenge against her husband - former Ambassador Joe Wilson - for his public debunking of the administration's claims that Iraq was purchasing uranium from Niger.

While this leaves other key figures - like Karl Rove, for example - temporarily in the clear, the investigation continues & indictments for them have not been ruled out.

This is - despite the spin from the flunkies being rolled out on TV - a very serious matter, and it appears to lead directly to the Vice President and his aides, and possibly to the President.

While some people have been keen to spin the outing of Valerie Plame/Wilson as "politics as usual", and of little consequence, there have long been whispers that her exposure - in addition to compromising the front company she ostensibly worked for - led to the execution of at least one agent, and the deaths of 60-odd sources. It's also worth pointing out that Plame/Wilson's role was supposedly in preventing the proliferation of WMD. Ahem.

This is, potentially, the most damaging political scandal to hit the US government since Watergate, and it seems that the gentleman pursuing the investigation - Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald - is taking it very seriously, and is prepared to go as far as the evidence will take him, even if that does mean straight to the men at the very top.

Anyone else been following this?

Art

Hands up who's actually heard of this "Scooter" Libby guy before last week?

House of Usher

Thanks for that, Amstor. I'm glad you've been paying attention to the news, because I haven't. Glad there are people out there who are prepared to hold these bastards to account, and also people like yourself to notice that it's going on for the benefit of those of us who go around with our heads up our arses most of the time.
STRIKE !!!

Quirkafleeg

Isnt he that girls boyfriend in Corrie... the one who rents skips?

The Amstor Computer

Hands up who's actually heard of this "Scooter" Libby guy before last week?

/me raises hand sheepishly...

Floyd-the-k

I'd heard of 'scooter' libby, although I wouldn't remember him if he didn't have such a silly nickname.
  As for Plame being responsible for non-proliferation of WMD's, shouldn't he be given a medal or something, since WMD's have non-proliferated in Iraq to the point of not being there at all?