Main Menu

"Chiarascuro" & the book "Flicker"

Started by JOE SOAP, 05 October, 2006, 12:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

"The Count of Eleven"

That's a fantastic novel ... I loved the main character's transformation from likeable everyman into ... well, you'll need to read the book.

Funny, nicely written, well worth a read. I rather enjoyed 'Midnight Sun', too. I'm not a horror fan, but I've thoroughly enjoyed everything of his I've read.

I keep meaning to track down more of his stuff, but somehow never quite get round to it.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

longmanshort

Ramsey is alive and well and still publishing his books. In the UK they are pretty much all published by PS publishing and in the US he is still with Tor.

After interviewing the guy from PS, he gave me a brand new copy of Told By The Dead. It was one of a limited run of 500, all signed by Campbell, but this one hasn't been 'numbered' yet, so it's actually unique. I'm not a big fan, so if someone wants to make me an offer before I stick it on eBay (when the bloody home net access starts working!!!) ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Jonathan O

Is it the slipcased edition or the regular hardback?

longmanshort

AFAIK it's the hardback, but it's in pristine condition (last time I checked) I've also got a soft backed edition of another of his books, same sort of deal. Sendmail me and I'll have a look tonight/do some scans for you.

longmanshort

Ah, I do believe the other book is called RAMSEY CAMPBELL, PROBABLY and is some sort of collection of columns he's written?

Jonathan O

I have both of those.
I do recommend you try Told By The Dead before getting rid of it. 'Tis very good.

Jim_Campbell

"Go seek them out."

Oh ... Hon Mensh also to 'Cold Print' ... a collection of (no relation) Campbell's early stuff using the Cthulhu mythos. A lot of it is really rather good, capturing everything I like about the CORE CONCEPT of HPL's work, but liberating it from Lovecraft's excruciating prose style [1].

Cheers!

Jim

[1] IMHO. YMMV. And so on ... not actually looking to start a fight on this subject!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Art

-shrugs-

I'd actually agree with you there.

AlexF

There's a Jonathan Coe novel called 'The House of Sleep' that has a subplot about a film reviewer desperately trying to find a copy of the final film by Pasolini that is even more unnerving and depressing than Salo. He finds it and soon loses the ability to sleep.

Not to mention Cronenberg's (not quite as good as everyone says it is) masterpiece Videodrome, again about mondo snuff/torture films.

Personally I'm enjoying Spurrier's original take on what seems to be a genre all of its own - the man sent mad by watching unsuitable films. Thank goodness for the BBFC...

Quirkafleeg

I see no ones mentioned 8MM yet... probably because it's a right load of old toss.