Main Menu

What's your Megazine?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 August, 2007, 03:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

I liked the big thick square bound Megs the most when it was running TPO and had Scarlet Tracers or Hellboy reprints in it, i wouildn't be averse to going back to paying A$15+ per issue iof it was back like that.  I certainly think each story need more pgs per issue to help pacing and a recap page if its a returning strip(such as Devlin, Simping detective.  just like a Last time on Battlestar Gallactica in the new series showing bits from prev episodes that relate to the current one).  Dont mind the Dredd world stuff as long as it tell something different and not just Foreign Dredd.
Jim, I really liked The Inspector for exactly that reason, it was Dredd world, delt with past cannon(nuking of East Meg 1) and had a diferent feel to other DRedd world strips(supernatural thriller) its just a shame it was done as the Meg was changing and suffered in the cull.

CU Radbacker

johnnystress

One of my favourite stories to appear in any incarnation of the Megazine was Al's Baby. It was set in Dredds world, kind of, so it ticked that box. And it was a damn fine story too. Come to think of it it's a pity he wasnt brought back to cash in on Sopranos mania.

With a tenuous link like this to the Dredd universe, there is a vast scope of potential new stories that could appear in the Megazine.
There is also a whole lot of European stuff, such as Dylan Dog, that could be translated and stuck in there (as cosmopolitan ballast).

I don't think the Meg is particulary bad right now, I'd just prefer if the stories were longer, because at my age my memory isn't what it used to be and I find it hard to keep track of what's going on from one month to the next ..

So to reitterate

one pint of milk, two loaves of bread and the Daily Mirror

thanks

paulvonscott

"There is also a whole lot of European stuff, such as Dylan Dog, that could be translated and stuck in there (as cosmopolitan ballast)."

I love Dylan Dog, looks great, fun and weird.  A trippy Italian version of London complete with hetero Rupert Everett lookalike investigating the paranormal.  You'd get my vote.  I've read the 7 translated into English, there must be hundreds more.

johnnystress

I have a few of them, only one in English, they're great!

Noisybast

I've always seen the Meg as being a more mature counterpart to the prog. The extra page count allows for longer, more meaty stories to get your teeth into. Whether it's ever actually been that is up for debate.

Most of the Dreddworld stuff has been much better in theory than in practice. It could be made to work - just not by apeing the Dredd formula and giving Joe a french accent. I'd like to see more slow-burning stories - Justice Dept procedural stuff and detective work would be good. Oh, and bring back Lenny Zero. That was a Dreddworld story that worked. Keep running Simping Detective, too.

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

johnnystress

I've got it!

We need another free supplement showing the female judges in their underwear!

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Richmond Clements

As long as it's foxy female Judges- I don't want to see Edgar's wrinkled arse or McGruder's unsightly extra body hair.

Funt Solo

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Banners

:: We need another free supplement showing the female judges in their underwear!

Another?!? Did I miss something? Dammit!

M@

Floyd-the-k

I'm with Art on this: a nice big fat Meg with:
- reasonable Dredd story
- something unrelated but brilliant (like Scarlet Traces)
- other stuff....I liked most of the 'British Icons', and some of the reviews, like the Small Press section.  I couldn't stand TPO, but that kind of thing is okay.

Oh and I'd like to put in a word for text stories. Most were a chore, but the one Spurrier did showed that they don't have to be painful

Dudley

My Meg is the early run of Volume 2, with the high point beiong somewhere around 2.23.  Anderson drawn by Ranson in a meaningful story, Dredd:Mechanismo, Al's Baby, Heavy Metal Dredd, and, erm, Sleaze n Ryder (if you don't try new things...).  Plus Mega-City Times, a good debate on the letters page, and a fucking astonishing cover.

Far better than all the directionless stuff that's featured since.

Bring back David Bishop!