Main Menu

Comrades!

Started by Floyd-the-k, 07 September, 2007, 03:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

This is completely off-topic help request, but....

The union rep at my work wants to make a little newspaper.  Does anyone know of any good templates he can find online which are easy to use?

Buddy

What software are you using??

Not sure about templates but if your rep just replicates (copies) the layout of another paper he'll soon get the hang of it.

Matt Timson

Floyde Kermode- too stupid to understand the word 'replicates'...

;)
Pffft...

Floyd-the-k

we just have Word as far as I know

Floyd 'good vocabulary' Kermode

paulvonscott

You really need Desk Top Publishing (DTP) software.  If it's just something you're knocking up yourselves and printing yourself, then Microsoft Publisher is perfectly adequate and pretty simple to use.  Especially if you've only ever used Word.

And yes, using something that already exists is the easiets way to go, and slowly let it evolve as you go.

Don't be conned into using a more complicated package or go for anything too fancy design wise until you have the basics and a good solid start.

Buddy

'replicates'

musing.....

Anyways, my poor typing aside if you're using word you're limited as to what you can do by ways of layout.

DTP software as PVS says will give you more scope for design.

I've never used Microsoft publisher but if PVS says it's the way to go that's good enough for me.

paulvonscott

Well, Microsoft Publisher is very simple to use and easily available, it might even be on machines at work.  

There are obviously many superior packages out there, but I doubt you'd need them.

And if you're just familiar with word, it's not such a big leap to publisher.  Word is simply the wrong tool for the job and you'd only be making life difficult for yourself.

Once you find yourself wanting to do more than publisher can, then it's time to move on.  But just use whatever you can get access to, to begin with.