Main Menu

Prog 1611: something about talking. possibly

Started by Leigh S, 31 October, 2008, 02:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Cover - Oh wow, love that cover, nice spread of it! nice to see back of shhhh cones!

Droid Life - funny! welcome back!

Dredd - good plot, and does those judges looks like judges 30 years ago???

Future Shock - good art, and good twisting, it same as that film big BIG heavy spoiler [spoiler]Gary Sinse's Impostor. which was bloody good twisting ending![/spoiler]

Stalag 666- art was always not that good. but I DO love that last image! anyone scan it and put it on here???

ABC Warriors - nice triva to Banksy! Is that Dredd??

Ampney Crucis - very simple to Stone Island? nice flashback to The Great War

Roger Godpleton

Cover: TOO DARK. OK/Bad Stuff.

Dredd: Absolutely loved this, in both script and art. [spoiler]The hippy getting shot[/spoiler] was hilarious. Hope this keeps up the pace. Great Stuff/Really Great Stuff.

(F)FS: Wow, this is some deep shit. Creationism is like, really bad and stuff. Just imagine the outcry if Robbie Morrison had written this. More from Nick Dyer please. Bad Stuff.

Stalag: Continues to be the poster strip for "OK Stuff", as our intrepid guy in a vest has hallucinations that carry a hint of Eau de Filler. OK Stuff.

ABC: Bored of Mills' empty sloganeering and tedious zeitgeist bandwagon jumping. Bad Stuff.

Ampley Crusis: Kinda worried that this 'll be three months of Edginton anachro-dialogue like all his other historical or steampunky futuro-historical strips (OH WAIT THAT'S ALL OF THEM). Doesn't do much to dispel my theory that J. Smith and Si Spurrier could make him their bitch all day long if they could. That said, it looks like it will most likely be a lot of fun, and Simon Davis's art is as beautiful as ever. Very Good Stuff.

Droid Life: Is this some sort of post-modern riff on the nature of most DLs? Good Stuff (DL scale).
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Jack_Cade

Cover: I don't know about Langley. The focus is frequently off so that the writing doesn't really look like it's sprayed on the surfaces. Some very obvious Photoshop effects too. But I like seeing Zippo hanging on the chain there!

Dredd - only problem with it is what a silly character this Clavier is. I find it hard to swallow that someone so out of control, unpopular and outspoken (to his own detriment) could (a) keep a job, and (b) pull off this natty scheme. Most successful terrorists are the quietly plotting types, aren't they?

Future Shock - not bad, but didn't think it was a particularly original twist.

Stalag 666 - still enjoying this, and didn't think this issue was filler at all. The hallucinations gave us some closure on the dead characters and there's something very worrying about how well the plan has gone - makes me think there must be a grisly twist ahead. Holland's beard doesn't grow very fast, does it?

ABC Warriors  - Looks nice, but hard to follow the art. Also, isn't this more backflashing?

Ampney Crucis - good characters and top art, but doesn't go very far in its initial five pages.

Roger Godpleton

QuoteI find it hard to swallow that someone so out of control, unpopular and outspoken (to his own detriment) could (a) keep a job, and (b) pull off this natty scheme.

To be fair, Dredd was himself surprised at this turn of events, personally I think there could be a lot more to this plot.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kerrin

Cover - The fact that I'm trying to get my head around using Photoshop elements makes me realise that this is an example of technical wonderance, but that's it.

Droid Life - Ha Ha Haaaaaaa! Always a bonus.

Dredd - Nice. Fine script from Ewing, and Simon Fraser is an art droid I'm always happy to see more of. Gary Caldwell's colour skills are a noticable boon to the whole look of the strip as well I reckon. Not sure about Fraser's interpretation of the Judges uniform though, putting aside the swoopy shoulder eagle, the whole nose guard/visor area seems a bit odd and varies quite a lot from panel to panel, but that's just nitpickery. Looking forward to next weeks instalment.

Future Shocks - Storywise it's a bit of a sledgehammer but there you go. Artwise I like it, Nick Dyer is very much from the Cam Kennedy school of figurative drawing and that's no bad thing. For a sci-fi take on the creationist thing Ken Macleod's most recent "The Night Sessions" is an enjoyable read, another well realised Scotland of the future from one of it's national treasures.

Stalag 666 - Not my cup of tea.

ABC Warriors - Lost me. What ever happened to bloody great robots kicking the crap out of each other eh? Lets just get onto the rebooted Ro-Busters shall we. Thankyou. Oh and Mr.Kroll needs to lay off the wagawaga fronds, look at the state of his eyes, or maybe it's paint fumes.... Yeah paint fumes, thats it.

Ampney Crucis - Good start. A buxom wench in a nightie? Wielding a shotgun? Whats not to like. And as for the healthy eating Lovecraftian monstrosity who doesn't like skin on his human, very new wyrm. Can't quite understand what possessed Si Davis to use Trigger from "Only Fools and Horses" as a model for Ampney though.

Hoagy

COVER: Great. Nothing else like it on the shelf. I know its my 2000ad.

Dredd. Well this writer is proving a formidable performer, the madness is tightly wound here as an alternative threat comes into play. Because it is Davis on daubs, I nearly veered into the recent White Army storyline. Then the hippy got shot in the the shin.I agree, it was funny and the remark with it was well added. As it stews over for another week I am hoping to see a lot more of Gorilla Head.

Next up, the future Shock had great lines in and I feel that the entire shock is more controlled around the fact that us sweet dear Darwinists would never dream of going to such extremes.The creationism was but a mere extremism safely put in play for its examples of hard nosed force. The writer is obviously from a taut creationist background and the message was made a lot clearer thanks to him writing what he knows about rather than what he presumes to know. That said he could have whipped up any imaginary cultures. That could have taken a few more pages of explanation. Conscise and inscisive.

Stalag 666 is good old cheesy fuun, I have come to believe. It deserves a read through and I'm a sucker for any up to the neck burials since, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. It was potrayed well and the stark indifference to suffering is held firmly.

ABC has me at a moan, because the sign says strictly no talking yet there is an optional TALK in there. Shouldn't it say "In case of emergency TALK, SHOUT etc". And the way the other scrawler goes on, am I supposed to imagine the horror or is it in his head? To me it all looks like an oppresive regime where evryone goes down the pit un thart. It doesn't show much of the Pol Potian passion of Thatchers Britain much. Killings etc. Just oppression and the fun of being a scrawler. The art takes time for you to be on its side but when you start to consider the immensity of what is going on around the characters, you can feel the whispering of it thanks to the art.

Mr Amply Crutchis is a stonker of an opener. This is how 2000ad reminds us there was a war and Rememberence Day is just round the corner eh? I think the bee guy has been hunting where he shouldn't've been. Ah and the elementary butler. Gawd lavs ya. MORE!

OOh and check outr those T-SHIRTS! CHOPPER! CHOPPER! CHOPPER! I wish they'd take postal orders.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract