Main Menu

Who is "Slaine"? And why does he look like a brickie?

Started by brendan1, 24 April, 2009, 10:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Its not so much the point that some of his work is photoshopped but more like how the hell does he create it with Photoshop ?

Quote from: "SpookyTheCat"Re Clint Langley and his appearance.

Remember, I'm talking about the late eighties- back then Clint was taller than me, had long Bon Jovi style hair and wore back-painted leather jackets. As did I, actually! Can't remember what was on Clint's (or on his mate's- they both had the same style), but mine was a portrait of Leatherface.

Grud knows what he looks like now, as I say, it's been twenty years!

Steev

Momentarily back in the Pig, in 1988, drinking Newkie Brown and lusting over unobtainable women.

Nostalgia corner :

We must have been in the same room as each other if you mean the Pig in Paradise in Hastings as i used to go there at the same time and had been since 1984.It used to be a fantastic pub but i havent been in there for years.

I was probably drinking fizzy orange Woodpecker Cider.

Lots of happy memories. :D  

Hastings was very good for its girls in those days.Unobtainable or not.

[Do you remember all or any of the old enamel advertising signs that had cigarette packets on them and things that were hung up on the walls around the pub ? because they were all mine before i sold them all to the landlord of the pig in 1985]
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

Quote...and lusting over unobtainable women.

Hey Pete, did you happen to have long lustrous hair and girlish hips in the late '80s?  Just askin', like.  Those were confusing times.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "peterwolf"Nostalgia corner :

We must have been in the same room as each other if you mean the Pig in Paradise in Hastings as i used to go there at the same time and had been since 1984.It used to be a fantastic pub but i havent been in there for years.

I was probably drinking fizzy orange Woodpecker Cider.

Lots of happy memories. :D  

Hastings was very good for its girls in those days.Unobtainable or not.

[Do you remember all or any of the old enamel advertising signs that had cigarette packets on them and things that were hung up on the walls around the pub ? because they were all mine before i sold them all to the landlord of the pig in 1985]

I do. I drank in there, at least twice a week, from 87 to 92, when I went away to uni. After many years away, I went back in to the Pig for the first time in 2001 and almost cried. It's changed beyond all recognition- the bar has been moved to the left hand side, the atmosphere is "light" and "airy", you no longer stick to the carpet, the decor has changed... it's not what it was.

These days I go in there a lot with service-users during the day, because the staff are good with people like my guys and I very occasionally take my wife in there of an evening (they cut the lights at 9pm) and can sometimes gather an approximaion of how it used to be.

The back bar and side pool room are much the same though.

To Thryllseekr: I don't "know" Clint at all. I was mates with his mates, but was only on nodding terms with him. He was known, at the time, as the "star" of the art department at college and big things were predicted. I'm just really glad he worked at it and made it to where he is today. Absolutely love his work- it really does make The Horned God seem, well, dated. Not my favourite Slaine artist- that'll always be McMahon, but he's definately just behind.

Steev

Dandontdare

Quote from: "SpookyTheCat"I very occasionally take my wife in there of an evening (they cut the lights at 9pm)
:lol:  you may want to rephrase that if Mrs Spooky ever reads this!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "dandontdare"
Quote from: "SpookyTheCat"I very occasionally take my wife in there of an evening (they cut the lights at 9pm)
:)
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing

Haha! Yes, perhaps I will. As the mood improves at 9, when they lower the lights, I sometimes take my wife in there for an evening.

Ahem!

Steev

ThryllSeekyr

I didn't realise that nearl evry body and myself included neglected to answer Brendan One's question properly unitl now.

QuoteRegards,

Patrick.

Not the Patrick Mills, I wonder. Though doubt it from login name. If 1976 is supposed to be Date of Birth.

QuoteI drank in there, at least twice a week, from 87 to 92,

I was still in late high school on 87 and 88 as a senior, though. My only chances for alchol was a sneaky burbon --Jim beam or Jack Daniels or six pack of Karona or Four-Ex --on friday nights at a friends house or celebrating somebodies elses birthday during the holidays. I had my first and last indulgence with small bottle of Bundieberg Rum onnon school camping trip. Looking back on this now, I think this might have been what has caused the damage.  In the following years since I left school and started work, it was beer burbon and pizza nearly every weekend.

Many of the loca pubs I frequented are still there. Excpet for one Night Club that has since been converted into Public Gymnasium.

QuoteAbsolutely love his work- it really does make The Horned God seem, well, dated.

His work, while it certainly did lure me back to the magazine and forced me join this board, search and ask in most of local bookstores in my locality if they would get anything 2000AD related for me. I still like the owrk of the earlier Slaine artists in their own right. Perhaps even more.