Main Menu

Feature idea - Creators forum

Started by Kev Levell, 25 July, 2009, 08:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev Levell

I've been thinking for a long while about requesting a section in the forum for all would-be creators.
There is such a wealth of talent here, all with great insight into the minutiae of comic work. I regularly see postings asking for help, like the recent speech balloons one, and think it would be nice to have a reference point for all the pearls of wisdom that get lost in a sea of unrelated topics.
In a few mails with Emperor, who has been posting links to top tips far and wide I suggested the concept of a one-stop shop for sample scripts, tips and tricks, links to online advice and small press publishers - basically all the things that everyone from prototype script droids to lettering bots need to know as they develop their skills.
I know that Jim and Bolt can give great advice on the lettering front, and I know that some droids that post here are only too happy to offer advice to aspiring creators.
Does anyone else think that this would be a positive addition to the resources on the net?

Emperor

As I've said to Kev already, this sounds like a great idea - perhaps call it "Droid training" or some such.

It might also be a great venue for people asking for constructive criticism on their work - especially if they are working on the sample scripts, but on just about everything if people want it.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

Peter Wolf

Quote from: KevLev on 25 July, 2009, 08:49:47 AM
I've been thinking for a long while about requesting a section in the forum for all would-be creators.
There is such a wealth of talent here, all with great insight into the minutiae of comic work. I regularly see postings asking for help, like the recent speech balloons one, and think it would be nice to have a reference point for all the pearls of wisdom that get lost in a sea of unrelated topics.
In a few mails with Emperor, who has been posting links to top tips far and wide I suggested the concept of a one-stop shop for sample scripts, tips and tricks, links to online advice and small press publishers - basically all the things that everyone from prototype script droids to lettering bots need to know as they develop their skills.
I know that Jim and Bolt can give great advice on the lettering front, and I know that some droids that post here are only too happy to offer advice to aspiring creators.
Does anyone else think that this would be a positive addition to the resources on the net?

Yes please.

Very good idea.

Have 4 different subsections:

Art

Scripts

Lettering

And another that is dedicated to all the software applications like photoshop that everyone [except myself] uses these days.

This would involve a little work and time on Rebellions part but it would reflect on them very well to provide a place that will help nurture future talent which they might well end up benefitting from in the future.

Oh and last of all a Gallery for everyone to show off their work be it fan art or professional.Keep it strictly 2000ad related though.

Sketches and finished work.

Plus links to all of the 2000ad creators blogs etc.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Emperor

Thanks for the quick splitting of this into its new thread.

Any other ideas?

Thumbs up/thumbds down?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

VinceBot

Ok guys, I've added a "Creative Common" forum to the "General Chat" area.
I'm only adding the one forum for now and we'll see how it goes. If it gets really popular and the content becomes varied enough, I'll add some subforums to that one.

Also, please feel free to post links in this thread, to any threads which deserve to be relocated.