Main Menu

Best Dredd ever?

Started by Anemic_Newt, 08 December, 2001, 08:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anemic_Newt

Just wondering what people think. IMHO Necropolis has never been beaten and each "epic" since just fails to deliver. Will we ever have such a great story and all it's linked stories again now 2000AD seems to have a policy of some new special "Winter warmer" or Spring starter or Summer Stonker or Autumn attack every 10-12 episodes.

Come on 2000AD lets have a real epic that doesn't suddenly reach a "how can they possibly get out of this?" after 10 weeks to finally be wrapped up in less than 1/2 a page.

Fifty

You are right

Necropolis will never be beaten.

Wilderlands was shite, Helter Skelter had enormous potential, but totally failed to deliver. ( I made a huge post about that)
Judgement day was okay, but not even close to Necropolis.

esoteric ed

Much as I enjoyed Necropolis, it's the Cursed Earth for me in all it's innocence.

I agree the "epics" since Necropolis havent come close, Helter Skelter seemed to be over in a flash. I did enjoy Judgement Day and Inferno to a certain extent, buts difficult to see what other threats Joe and his city can face now...

Personal Faves in no order "Better the Devil You Know", "Jonni Kiss" and the build up to Necropolis with Kraken as his rookie, and any of the mean and moody tales which have Dredd under threat from an assassin.

"So I'm expendable?"... "evidently"

Eddie

wrighty47

For me the best of the "epics" would have to be The Cursed earth. I guess it's an old school kind of thing, but it was the first of the real epics and will always be a favourite of mine.
The best story ever tho would have to be America. I find dredd stories to be at their best when told from the perspective of a supporting character and this one IMHO is the most superior of them all.

Alan!

Thread Zero

Scojo back from the Albert Einstein semi dead retirement home!

Their rates are cheap. Dead cheap you could say!

Man, you lot are silly or something?

You ain't never read The Apocalypse War?

Nothing BEATS that story.

Except the s and m woman I visit every weekend.

Now she really know how to BEAT you up.

But that's another story.

scojo

Leigh S

My personal favourite changes from day to day, but top tales are

The Hunters Club - I love these "real life" (as in could conceivably be the story for a modern day thriller), such as "It's happening Live on line 9" and "Diary of a Mad Citizen".

The Fink - my first ever Dredd!

Apocalypse War is the most consistent Epic, with some great set-pieces - a better action movie than the dredd film!

To Thing With Love - a modern day classic!

McNulty

For me the Apocalypse War was great because it had bags of action, ran and ran smoothly from Block Mania and had ramifications which lasted for years. However, Judgement Day was also good because of the supporting cast of international Judges and the return of Johnny Alpha. It does come a very close second to only Helter Skelter IMHO because of the inclusion of the Dredd villians from the golden Age of 2000ad and because it uses elements from the other 2000ad stories also.

O Lucky Stevie!

no matter what you think of ennis's plot or story telling with helter skelter, you have to admit that his characterisation of joe dredd is spot on (something missed by other latter-day dredd scibes on many an occasion).

the first episode alone encapsulated the essence of dredd so sincinctly.

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Fifty

Aye, I'll grant you that he gets Dredd right in the story.  Spot on now that you mention it.

Perhaps they could get other people to write the plot, and get Ennis to do Dredd's reactions for events for them.

Unlikely Unfortunately

Wood

But didn't John Wagner collaborate with Ennis on some of the plots?

Anyway, Ennis has written some corkers. What of the Muzak Killer? Or Babes in Arms? Or anything with Judge Joyce in it?