Main Menu

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Started by wrly_bird, 13 January, 2010, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

Hi guys,
   I'm looking for some info on an old Tornado/2000AD story called THE MIND OF WOLFIE SMITH. Can anyone point me in the direction of some detailed info, or maybe tell me what it was about...?
   Also can anyone tell me about a 2000AD story called "13" (not "Vector 13"), I can't recall this one at all.
Cheers in advance  :D
Alec

starscape

Wolfie Smith was a decent enough traditional boys adventure story about an outcast kid with psychic powers.  Tornado though had some much better stories in The Angry Planet, Blackhawk (NOT the sci-fi version), Victor Drago (who was really Sexton Blake - amazing art) and Wagner's Walk (who was really Hellman of Hammer Force).

13, as opposed to Vector 13 is here:
http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&choice=13

Dandontdare

The Barney page doesn't have much info on 13 as I checked last time it was mentioned, I had no recollection of it even though I'd read it. I think "Finn-meets-The-Matrix" seemed to be the consensus, but I can't find the thread I was thinking of.

I loved Wolfie Smith - I so desperately wanted to have psychic powers as a kid. I think it was a Tomorrow People thing. Memories of it's quality may be coloured by the nostalgia of those short-lived Tornado days - the excitement of TWO thrill-powered comics available!

that internationalhero.co.uk link will fill you in - it really is a great resource, I check it often to look up obscure comic characters from the past.

wrly_bird

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 January, 2010, 09:18:33 PM
I loved Wolfie Smith - I so desperately wanted to have psychic powers as a kid.

And freedom for Tooting, presumably?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Garageman on 13 January, 2010, 10:04:29 PM
Yes, I see it now...

C'mon ... how good would Citizen Smith have been if Wolfie Smith had actually had the Mind of Wolfie Smith ...?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 January, 2010, 09:18:33 PM
The Barney page doesn't have much info on 13 as I checked last time it was mentioned, I had no recollection of it even though I'd read it. I think "Finn-meets-The-Matrix" seemed to be the consensus, but I can't find the thread I was thinking of.

It wasn't really that Matrixy though. ;) A punk starts to develop latent powers and all sorts of unpleasant characters try to kill him, with only some insubstantial space totty on his side (wearing and outfit that would require a lot of plucking and toupee tape to pull off). It keeps peeling back the layers as they descend into the Earth (inside the Adelphi?) and throws in a few twists and turns along the way. I think Mike Carey does what he set out to do with it and the art by Andy Clarke works well as the story expands in its scope. A bit more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen_(comics)

A bit more here from when the trade came out:
http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,13672.0.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

wrly_bird

Thanks again, and oddly enough, I happen to be from Tooting!  :D