Main Menu

Alan Moore's Dodgem Logic

Started by Emperor, 21 October, 2009, 02:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 November, 2009, 07:16:11 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 November, 2009, 01:51:35 AMWell, to be fair, he didn't really do it on purpose.

Yeah and he's said he really regrets that he (arh Alan its not always all about you) inspired a much darker Superhero world.

Which as I've said before (and Dennis O#Neil seems to agree with me*) the Dark Age of Comics stems from a very shallow reading of Watchmen and DKR where some people seem to have equated the success of the titles to their... "realistic" grittiness, leading to a decade+ of grittiness for the sake of it, not because it serves the particular story. The fact that this is often all they brought to the table meant it also led to quite a few shitty comics into the bargain)

*If he doesn't I can always make him, with the Power of My Mind and some Imperial Brand Cough Linctus (of my own design)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Emperor on 28 November, 2009, 06:39:59 PM
the Dark Age of Comics stems from a very shallow reading of Watchmen and DKR where some people seem to have equated the success of the titles to their... "realistic" grittiness, leading to a decade+ of grittiness for the sake of it, not because it serves the particular story.

I've always been of the mind that while Watchmen and DKR are very much the poster boys of this movement they in fact were merely tapping into the zeitguiste of the time. A lot of the insubstance rubbish that you mention was coming regardless. Its just the quality of books like Watchmen and to a lesser extent Dark Knight gave the 'movement' a sheen of legitimacy to hide behind.

One its fair to say I bought into at the time but looking back meant I read a lot of crap!

Peter Wolf

I bought this today with the intention of reading it in bed later.

I will submit a review later.....
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

starscape

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 November, 2009, 09:51:21 PM
I've always been of the mind that while Watchmen and DKR are very much the poster boys of this movement they in fact were merely tapping into the zeitguiste of the time.
Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme was basically Watchmen meets Infinite Crisis but a lot earlier.  Doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Marvelman I think was more influential than Watchmen.  Stan Lee had brought the 'what if superheroes were real' in the 60s (well, you could argue about The Spirit before that).  I think it was Marvelman that took it to the next step (which was probably a lot to do with reading Valiant comic IMHO).  Not to say I didn't love the Bronze Age but that was more about developing universes in the superhero world.

Christov

Got my issues (yes, plural, for myself and a friend) today. It's very... very... um... well; it's beyond description at the moment. It's something that needs time to sink in a little, but I have enjoyed what I've read so far. Best of all, there is an opportunity to sink my tentacles into this mag and attempt at getting something published within it. Ace!

Peter Wolf

I was disappointed in the whole thing.

I dont find 3 page articles about the music scene and venues in Northampton to be that interesting and neither were the counter culture articles about guerilla gardening etc etc plus various other articles about trite subject matter.

boring

It was like being back in the early 90s all over again and i cant stand all that counter culture/hippy shit nonsense.

Apart from the Kevin O Neill artwork that took up one whole page the rest of it is in my opinion a complete waste of paper.

starscape

You are of course aware that it's written for Northampton.  It just happens to be sold elsewhere too.  The plan is to have a general mag with add-ons for every city/town it's sold in.

I might get it now you've mentioned Northampton music scene, as I lived there for a good few years, played a bit of music and am still in touch with a good few (musical) people.

I take it the Racehorse is one of the venues (ah, what memories!) but is Just Fontaine mentioned?

Peter Wolf

Quote from: starscape on 10 December, 2009, 09:07:16 PM
You are of course aware that it's written for Northampton.  It just happens to be sold elsewhere too.  The plan is to have a general mag with add-ons for every city/town it's sold in.

I might get it now you've mentioned Northampton music scene, as I lived there for a good few years, played a bit of music and am still in touch with a good few (musical) people.

I take it the Racehorse is one of the venues (ah, what memories!) but is Just Fontaine mentioned?

No i wasnt aware that it was written specifically for Northampton partly because like you rightly point it out its sold everywhere.Anyway even if it was written specifically for Northampton which i know nothing about and have nothing against it would have been fine if the standard of the written articles was a little bit or a lot better.

Perhaps its early days and its just finding its feet.I also think the principle or idea of this magazine is a good one but despite the fact that its focused on Northampton it needs a higher standard of contributors with more talent to make it an interesting or entertaining read and i hate to say it but i could write more interesting and entertaining articles myself.

Perhaps it will broaden its horizons and invite contibutions from outside Northampton and cover subjects that are a bit more relevant to everyone.

I regret having to be overly negative about this magazine as well and it actually pains me a bit to do so but in the end i have to be honest and speak my mind.

Hoagy

Okay, I bought it in lew, misguided. I soon worked out it was a local rag ideology for Northhamton. Alan Moore's influence on it is obviously carrying it far beyond its boundaries. It is through all of this an interesting comic marketing curio. Something one picks up for its outrospection. And has an extra coffee at home instead of on the town. Not got into the cd yet. First song is typical of what Alan Moore finds cool and edgy. I agree that its trite but there's a stack of local music I've endured in obligation to a mate. And Moore's writing have a certain companionship for me. So on a different level, i'll give this a listen. May take a few beers to be less critical of it but part and parcel eh? Alan, mate? Eh? Mate? Pal? You know I've got a roge version of you tattooed on my left buttock! Please. Return my calls.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Hoagy

That's droid version, Alan, not a roge version.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Emperor

I've been catching up with this and have to say it keeps getting better - most of the regional gubbins is now in the supplement and they have a fine group of contributors. However, I can see that people's mileage might differ dramatically - the content is all right up my alley and there is little I haven't enjoyed (although the big article from Moore tends to be the highlight of the issue) but I could imagine it'd put quite a few folks right off.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

Xmas annual with a lovely cover by Kevin O'Neill:

www.bleedingcool.com/2010/12/08/kevin-oneills-christmas-cover-to-alan-moores-dodgem-logic-7/

Colin YNWA

As ever beat me too it Emperor.

Man that cover is just lovely.

das

Mr moore is up to some real sUBversion with dodgem logic.
it has become required reading along with adbusters !
Confusion is Better Than Sex