Main Menu

Scott Pilgrim trailer

Started by wrly_bird, 25 March, 2010, 05:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

radiator

Hmmm - looks ok.

I love everything Wright has done, but I found the SP comics really annoying and gave up halfway through volume 2 - wonder if the movie will convert me.

the shutdown man

...starring Michael Cera as Michael Cera.

Seriously, I would like to like this, with it being an Edgar Wright film and all, but I think I've reached my tolerance for watching Cera doing exactly the same thing over and over again (I call it the Will Ferrell Wall, most comedy actors in the current generation hit it sooner or later).
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Colin YNWA

Have to say I know nowt about Scott Pilgrim but I enjoyed that trailer it looked great fun and that last line is delivered perfectly.

radiator

It's similar subject matter to Spaced, really, though the source material is far more juvenile and less sophisticated.

While the pop-culture stuff in Spaced works really well, and is cleverly integrated, I found the sudden changes in style and tone in SP to be really jarring - it'll be interesting to see if the movie script is an improvement on the comic, which I thought was quite amateurishly written.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 March, 2010, 06:47:43 PM
Have to say I know nowt about Scott Pilgrim but I enjoyed that trailer it looked great fun and that last line is delivered perfectly.

Yup- Me too. And having only seen him in Superbad, I'm not over-Ceraed.

Grant Goggans

Quote from: radiator on 25 March, 2010, 06:54:39 PM
It's similar subject matter to Spaced, really, though the source material is far more juvenile and less sophisticated.

That's the first time I've ever seen an implication that Spaced is sophisticated.

Professor Bear

I have seen one Cera film - Juno (which he wasn't in much) and that trailer is still too much of his delivery, which is far too whiny, reactive and self-pitying even though up until Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together that's the character's entire deal.

The trailer puts me off for other reasons, though - there's a specificity to the pop-cultural nostalgia of the graphic novels that's been replaced with broad generalisation in the trailer.  It looks like it's going for generic whacky, and I do find that more often than not, stuff like that comes across as self-indulgent rather than charming.

Goaty

I like this moment in the trailer!

wrly_bird

CrazyFoxMachine

Colin YNWA

It looks great fun and while I still have no desire to read the comic I defo think the film looks interesting.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 June, 2010, 06:24:56 PM
It looks great fun and while I still have no desire to read the comic I defo think the film looks interesting.

You are missing out Colin. Some of the best dialogue and character interactions in comics. I'm pretty psyched for the movie, but not as much as volume 6.