Main Menu

Best One Off Series

Started by Alski, 19 August, 2010, 11:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Corinthian on 27 August, 2010, 05:30:53 PM
...the dreadful prospect of 'Junker: The Michael Fleisher Collection' at some point.

Not that I want to be seen to be encouraging such a thing in any shape or form, but maybe one with all the captions and bubbles taken off?  The art is rather fine.

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 August, 2010, 05:36:27 PM
Quote from: The Corinthian on 27 August, 2010, 05:30:53 PM
...the dreadful prospect of 'Junker: The Michael Fleisher Collection' at some point.

Not that I want to be seen to be encouraging such a thing in any shape or form, but maybe one with all the captions and bubbles taken off?  The art is rather fine.

Agreed, it says something that even John Ridgway's prodigious talents weren't enough to save it.

The Corinthian

I don't know. I like Ridgway but in 'Junker' he draws the least sexy Sexy Alien Babe in the history of art.

radiator

Leviathan, Xtnct, Necronauts and From Grace stand out for me.

2000ad has been very good over the last few years, but if I have one complaint it's that there are so many long-running multi-book sagas and (Future Shocks aside) more one-off series are needed to keep things fresh.

It must be very difficult for a newcomer to get up to speed - there are a few ongoing series that I don't read at all simply because there is so much back-story that isn't available in collected form (The Red Seas, Sinister Dexter etc...).

Peter Wolf

Quote from: radiator on 27 August, 2010, 08:45:24 PM
Leviathan, Xtnct, Necronauts and From Grace stand out for me.

2000ad has been very good over the last few years, but if I have one complaint it's that there are so many long-running multi-book sagas and (Future Shocks aside) more one-off series are needed to keep things fresh

Much the same really as i dislike some of the regular strips but i wont say what they are so no one needs to get in a tizz about it but it would be good if 2000ad was 10 pages thicker so that there would be space for one off and new stips as well as long running strips.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Greg M.

Quote from: The Corinthian on 27 August, 2010, 08:31:46 PM
I don't know. I like Ridgway but in 'Junker' he draws the least sexy Sexy Alien Babe in the history of art.

So are you saying you'd kick her out of bed? C'mon, if you squinted you could pretend it was Venus Bluegenes...  ;)

I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me...

The Corinthian

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 August, 2010, 09:13:29 PM
So are you saying you'd kick her out of bed? C'mon, if you squinted you could pretend it was Venus Bluegenes...  ;)
Oooh no, this gets worse...!

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 August, 2010, 09:13:29 PM

Now would that be Will Simpson or early, larval stage Simon Coleby?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Greg M.

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 30 August, 2010, 04:58:45 AM

Brett Ewins, man. Always Brett Ewins.  :)

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 August, 2010, 04:54:17 PM
Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 30 August, 2010, 04:58:45 AM

Brett Ewins, man. Always Brett Ewins.  :)

"No man is an island.... suddenly this GI is".  Yum.

Judge Olde

Hewligans Haircut FFS & Ol'Harry 20 & I liked my GI's Simpson... Coleby  :lol:  ::)

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 August, 2010, 06:34:09 PM
Agreed, it says something that even John Ridgway's prodigious talents weren't enough to save it.

Ah, that's just Fleisher's ability to suck the life out of artists. As he's Burton's 'star prize' of an American writer that's gone from writing at DC rather than vice versa, when he first appears he always gets the best artist possible for his scripts. They, in turn, last about six episodes of doing good-to-great work before realising just how awful the script is, that no one is going to be reading it anyway and the story will never end.

Ridgway's good stuff lasts longer than poor Steve Dillon on Harlem Heroes, who only lasts as long as the prison break before starting to apply the Power Girl tactic (of making the female character's boobs slightly bigger in every panel until someone tells him to stop) to the generic stroppy blonde woman in order to keep himself amused. Ron Smith, whose art always varies depending on how good he thinks the script is, gives up on Rogue Trooper after one panel.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.