Main Menu

Prog 1705 - Gun Crazy!

Started by Trout, 02 October, 2010, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Proudhuff on 07 October, 2010, 07:28:52 PM
Hmmmm, there was also Fishpaste graf, does it mean it could be the return of Judge Fish?  ;)

Well it would certainly be an interesting plot twist.  :lol:

Banners

Was interested to see the "Engineman" ad on the back cover, as Engine Man was one of my characters from when I used to write for a couple of fanzines. He was a chap with huge exhausts coming out of his back(!) As you can imagine, the story was awful, but here's a rather splendid pic by the wonderful Adrian Hughes (who we all thought would make it big) from 1993...

M@

Roger Godpleton

Cover: Bit too lurid for my liking. OK Stuff.

Dredd: I'm not a fan of ginormous articles, so that aspect didn't fully click with me. Interesting premise but didn't quite seem as good as it could have been. Seemed a but too procedurally. Good Stuff.

Defoe: Still the best thing in the prog. Great Stuff.

AotW: WHAT SHE NEEDS IS A HUSBAND TO GIVE A GOOD SHAGGING, THE SILLY LADY. Misandryist Propaganda aside, this seems to lose a bit of steam when it focuses on the mystic side, although it's still effective as a chase story. OK Stuff.

Low Life: Plot moved forward with showing not telling. Very Good Stuff.

Dante: Big important stuff happens but it still feels like it's treading water. It always feels like we've "lost" Simon Fraser when he ain't on it. OK Stuff.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Zarjazzer

A really enjoyable prog with Low Life as the highlight.

Lovely cover there Banners by Adrian Hughes.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JayzusB.Christ

Great prog, yep. Al Ewing delivers again - Grud forbid anything happens to the Wagmonster, but Dredd seems to be in safe hands. And they got the right man for the job, tit-art-wise.

Great to see John Burns back on Dante, although the resurrections are getting a bit much. Also, where is Arkady? It says he was sacrificed for Dmitri,but my understanding was that he was alive and well and coexisting within his body with his miserable old fuck of a dad.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

Cover: Interesting mucky Dirty Frank! You can almost feel the dandruff. Nice leathery textures.

Judge Dredd: A saucy one this week! Ewing's Dredd seems a bit more chatty than Wagner's (to me anyway). S'good though.

Defoe: More madness. Was that reptile thing at the end an angel/demon? Interesting take.  I'm curious of the druid's prophesy "He is evil, he is good."

I kind of feel sorry for the chap who is aimed for a beheading though. He doesn't seem a bad bloke, despite his weird deformity. Wrong place wrong time kind of a deal. It's weird but I'm enjoying it. (Not that 'weird' needs a 'but'.)

Age Of the Wolf:  I'm really enjoying this! Rune fire powers! Cool. I was a bit puzzled with the bitten hand though. If you look at the panel before she jumps it is her  left hand she is holding back. At the end it's her right hand which.. has been bitten off. Not really a contradiction though, she could have swapped hands between panels. We don't actually see her jump after all. This is a great new thrill though. She's really taking charge now isn't she?  Does that mean she will change then, or do her powers protect her? Actually it seems people can turn without being bitten in this strip (judging by her friend earlier) but I'm not 100% on that.

Oh and I love that slightly lazy eye expression in the bottom panel of the first page.

Low Life: Good.  Nice to see Frank taking action rather than the usual bumbling self he seems to be. My prediction in how it will end:[spoiler]Considering the last page of story one, and the last panel of this, I'm wondering if 'The Big Man' is actually a little old lady. Considering the foreshadowing at the start I wonder if there will be an extra twist though.[/spoiler]

Dante- I didn't even realise last week's was the last of that particular chapter. John Burns back on art. I think he suits the strip well. Arkady and Konstantin (if I've got the names right) look a little too alike to me, but ... well they're brothers aren't they. Surely it won't be that easy though, will it? Seems the plan to go about things now Dante has been neutered. (Figuratively speaking.)

Nice ships design in the ad on the back.

Emperor

Quote from: Mardroid on 12 October, 2010, 09:19:29 PMDefoe: More madness. Was that reptile thing at the end an angel/demon?

Or [spoiler]Fomorian[/spoiler]?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Mardroid

Quote from: Emperor on 13 October, 2010, 09:22:42 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 12 October, 2010, 09:19:29 PMDefoe: More madness. Was that reptile thing at the end an angel/demon?

That'd work with the druid certainly. [spoiler]I do know from a post some while back that an angel will turn up in the story though, and the suggestion was it would look unusual. On the other hand they might have been referring to the guy with his head in his stomach.[/spoiler]

Emperor

Quote from: Mardroid on 13 October, 2010, 10:39:58 PM

That'd work with the druid certainly. [spoiler]I do know from a post some while back that an angel will turn up in the story though, and the suggestion was it would look unusual. On the other hand they might have been referring to the guy with his head in his stomach.[/spoiler]

This is actually refereed to in the next prog, I think the use of "angel" is not quite the same as the modern meaning.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Minkyboy

[spoiler]I do know from a post some while back that an angel will turn up in the story though, and the suggestion was it would look unusual. [/spoiler]

"Stinking reeks, I'm going up to 4 on ya!"

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

House of Usher

Quote from: Emperor on 13 October, 2010, 11:38:25 PM

That'd work with the druid certainly. [spoiler]I do know from a post some while back that an angel will turn up in the story though, and the suggestion was it would look unusual.[/spoiler]

This is actually refereed to in the next prog, I think the use of "angel" is not quite the same as the modern meaning.

Maybe it was one of the 'many angeled ones'?* - I'll get me coat.  :-\

*The above gag may not be dyslexia-friendly. Sorry.
STRIKE !!!