Main Menu

AL EWING ON STAGE INTERVIEWED MANCHESTER 22/7/2011

Started by redbaz, 21 July, 2011, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbaz

Hi all,

Wondered if any Squaxx in the Manchester area fancied coming along to this:

Time: 22 July · 18:30 - 19:30

Pub Fiction takes a jump back into the world of comics on Friday, 22nd July with an audience with Al Ewing – a veteran of 2000AD and one of the great prospects of British small-press comics.

Al Ewing began his career writing stories in the five-page Future Shocks format for 2000AD. Recent work includes Damnation Station and Zombo, illustrated by Henry Flint, which was collected in trade paperback in 2010.

He has also contributed to Solar Wind, FutureQuake, The End Is Nigh. Al is responsible for the diary of Ralph Dibny and the mobile comic Murderdrome with P. J. Holden.

Current comics projects include regular stints on Judge Dredd and an upcoming six-issue arc on Jennifer Blood, a comic published by Dynamite Entertainment.

Al's debut novel was published in 2007 by Abaddon Books. Pax Britannia: El Sombra features a mysterious Mexican hero fighting back against the menace of steam-powered Nazis. It is set in the same Steampunk alternate history as the other novels from the Pax Britannia series. Three other novels have been published since, with a fourth on the way.

Al Ewing has deejayed under the name DJ Christ.

PUB FICTION is a week-long series of events connecting authors with their audiences. These sessions are intended as intimate and relaxed opportunities for people to meet some of the North's best and brightest authors. You'll be treated to readings, multi-media presentations and Q&A's in one of Manchester's cosiest pubs!

Tickets cost £2.00 and are available on the door.

Dandontdare

Yeah, I read about this on the ECBT2000ad blog last night, and I've just swapped shifts with a work colleague so I can get there in time!

Now if I can only think of an interesting question to ask... If anyone has anything they'd particularly like me to put to to Big Al, let me know.

Emperor

Al is being interviewed my Mathew Badham:

http://matthewbadham.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/interview-with-al-ewing-in-manchester/

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 July, 2011, 12:29:24 PM
Yeah, I read about this on the ECBT2000ad blog last night, and I've just swapped shifts with a work colleague so I can get there in time!

Now if I can only think of an interesting question to ask... If anyone has anything they'd particularly like me to put to to Big Al, let me know.

The pub has a series of comics events (starting with WarriorCon), I think there is a list in the other thread.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 July, 2011, 12:29:24 PM

DO YOU LIKE EGGS?
We never really die.

Hoagy

Is he deepening the recent storyline from the MEG? Is he going to do his own epic? Should writers other than Wagner take on the Dredd epic? Who does he think should have a crack at it? Spurrier? Rennie? Morrison?

Oh has his [spoiler]black ops div[/spoiler] got anything to do with Spurrier's [spoiler]Domino[/spoiler]? Are there chances of links?

Is he deepening the recent storyline from the MEG? Is he going to do his own epic? Should writers other than Wagner take on the Dredd epic? Who does he think should have a crack at it? Spurrier? Rennie? Morrison?

Oh has his[spoiler] black ops div[/spoiler] got anything to do with Spurrier's [spoiler]Domino[/spoiler]? Are there chances of links?

And repeat :)
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Dandontdare

Well that was a fun evening. An intimate (ie 5) crowd at a pub that was always nice but has apparently become very geek-friendly in recent years. Afterwards we were discussing the idea of an occasional or monthly 2000ad-related evening, and if there's local interest they'd be happy to host it. After we ran out of time in the upstairs room ('cos they were due to show a horror short that attracted a decent crowd) we just adjourned downstairs and carried on chatting. Sadly I had to leave before Al and a few of the others  went in search of Sushi.

Quote from: Krombasher on 21 July, 2011, 06:07:19 PM

Oh has his [spoiler]black ops div[/spoiler] got anything to do with Spurrier's [spoiler]Domino[/spoiler]? Are there chances of links?

Yes, he did have Si Spurrier's black ops stories in mind when writing Family Man, and yes this is going to have a sequel. We didn't really get into the generalities of who should write mega-epics.

Quote from: The Cosh on 21 July, 2011, 06:00:13 PM
DO YOU LIKE EGGS?

I asked this one too - apparently this all came about from when Al and a mate used to trash-talk each other when playing computer games (Goldeneye I think): "do you like eggs?.... do you like eggs? ... HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM EGGS?!!"

If any Northern squaxx fancy the idea of a semi-regular get together at the Lass O'Gowrie, Al said he'd be happy to pop over from York for it, and the landlord would be more than happy to accommodate us.

Oh and I claimed a pint from Matthew Badham with the secret codephrase - thanks to Emperor for linking that!

Hoagy

Awrh nice one Dan thanks for asking.

I'll be be over on occasions if concrete dates are sorted.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract