Main Menu

Red Seas, an apology

Started by ukdane, 11 December, 2002, 09:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

>>It's a weekly anthology comic, surely it's one of the writers basic tasks to make sure it does work from week to week.

"We park our cars in the same garage, my friend."

Trout

"a bloody good romping swash-buckling yarn."

Well said, sir.

- Trout

2000AD Online

i liked it i thought it was a highlight of the autumn especially as i didn't like asylum and i despised sin/dex

ukdane

Oh yeah, WTF happened to that shark anyway???
Did it just swim off?

PVS: One thing that recent stories have been lacking IMO is the old recap text in the first panel. Try rereading an old thrill everyweek as you would now adays, without the recap box, you'll see what I mean. It was there for a reason, it ain't there now, and we've can tell!
Cheers

-Daney

GordonR

>>Oh yeah, WTF happened to that shark anyway???
Did it just swim off?

They only had it out on hire from the Handy Plot Device Store, and it had to be returned as soon as its part was over.  :)

It's great, that place, and they do 24-hour home deliveries too.

"Hi, I need to inject some action into this  final episode,  kill off most of the non-essential cast list and tie up all the plot strands in one easy swoop, and I've only got five pages to do it all in.  What have you got that could help me?"

"Ah, you're in luck today, sir.  We're doing special deals on our Deus Ex Machina range..."

Quirkafleeg

Smiley

whereas old progs used to utilise shadows & shading (I believe the technique is something like 'Linograph' but that's not a word so someone help me out please!)

Were you thinking of 'Letratone', Odders?

Red Seas - still think John Ridgeway shoulda done it. (mutter grumble) He's yer man for zombies and pirates (whine gripe).

ukdane

John Ridgeway- good call. Now if ever there was an artist who's work looks great in b/w. but piss poor in colour, here's your man!
Crouching/Hidden due in 2003 (shame it's in colour!)
Cheers

-Daney

Oddboy

Were you thinking of 'Letratone', Odders?

Abso-blummin'-lutely.

Ta.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Tu-plang

"Crouching/Hidden due in 2003 (shame it's in colour!)"

Is this a new Ridgeway thing?  you don't mean Tiger Sun, Dragon Moon do you, as that's got a similar title but I think it's all by Steve Parkhouse.

As for Red Seas, Yeowell's art always throws me off something as it's so lacking.  His Zenith work was a real example of a new wave of art that was sweeping the prog at the time like the new Nemesis style and Simon Bisley stuff, but nowadays his work seems to have gone backwards to being the odd one out in a maturing comic.  Even when he came back to Zenith in Prog 2001 he proved that it is possible to regress in talent rather than evolve to further greatness.

mongor2003

I loved red seas until the last episode which I thought was utter shite, oh look hear comes satan - the ultimate evil, how shall I defeat him ? I know i'll throw a bloody book at him and he'll end up screaming "noooooooo - i will return" as he ends up being sucked down some poxy cliched vortex. Insipid, lazy and dull. I felt short changed from the writer who bought us Scarlet Traces - which incidently had a fantastic ending. however, i wouldnt mind seing red seas return - just don't end book2 on an anti-climax.