Main Menu

Prog 1751: the Exterminating Angel

Started by Trout, 10 September, 2011, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactus

Quote from: Pete Wells on 14 September, 2011, 07:07:04 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 September, 2011, 08:16:18 PM
As an aside: who did the cover? It looks like Burns but the prog says Davis? Either way, wowzas. Is it on canvas or is that an effect?

Oh, if only there was a wonderful weekly 2000AD covers blog called 2000adcovers.blogspot.com that detailed Simon Parr's struggle with the canvas that Simon Davis had painted the cover and his resulting solution...

Link: http://2000adcovers.blogspot.com/

I was going to comment on your blog but apparently I need an account with one of a bunch of sites I don't have accounts with so...

I really liked the white speckly bits and was disappointed to not have the canvas effect on my prog.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

I, Cosh

Quote from: MikeONeill on 14 September, 2011, 07:14:07 PM
I'm beginning to grasp what's happening with this story and hopefully things will get even clearer in subsequent progs.
Ha. This is highly unlikely.

Hadn't noticed the ratio of colour to mono in the art but it's only a couple of months since we had three black and white strips running together. And wasn't Angelo originally meant to run earlier in the year? So this just brings balance to the force.
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing

Loved the cover, always up for a flash of boobie. Dredd was okay, like everyone else im confused as to why dan francisco suddenly smeared on the lippy. Hopefully this isnt just flint being mad, and there's a reason for it. Unlike everyone else im happy to see the sovs back- the apoc.war is decades ago and it's about time we saw a proper follow-up, not just assassins trying to get their revenge.

As i thought, im already skipping ampney crucis- boring, with art that's barly even there. Swirly colours, floating heads and matchstick men do not a comic page make.

Low Life is just glorious, beautiful art and a genuinely fascinating lead in frank. I could read this endlessly. Not keen on Indigo Prime, spectacular drawings but im not pulled in to the story at all. And Angel Zero benefits from being only four pages- a good, old fashioned opener that promises much. I know one of the things about the prog is that it gave strips five or six pages to breathe while other uk weeklies rattled them out in three- but at times the condensed format really works. I hope A0 continues at four pages, and other strips experiment with the format too.

So, one great strip, one good, one promising, one that's tottering on the edge, and one skipped. Put like that, it doesnt look so hot, but i enjoyed it. A middling prog.

SBT

Satanist

Man that's one good looking prog, so good looking that if it was a woman she'd be well out my league, unless I paid for her like I did my prog, but then I'd have to kill and dispose of her like all the rest, unlike my progs which I store safely in the loft, erm why am I here again?

Oh aye that's one good looking prog and the writings no bad either.

IP
Dredd
Low Life
Ampney
Angel

In that order.

Top stuff!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Zarjazzer

Good Prog Low Life being  my favourite in this one. Indigo Primes double page made my head spin or maybe it's my hangover.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Van Dom

Loved the start of Angel Zero. Great art and although it looks like its set in some ordinary desert town, the various references (organice car parts, sky sharks) hint at a lot of coolness coming our way. Art is fantastic as well, especially on page 2. Think I'm going to like this.

Also enjoying Indigo Prime, it seems like this story has been waiting to be told for about 20 years, at last a proper story about the organisation itself and not just spot agents. Like the last page of this one and am suitably intrigued.

Everything else was great too but these two were my standouts.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Hawkmumbler

Finaly got my copy today.
No time to review but, my god, did I have a good laugh at Low Life. :lol:

Grant Goggans

Honestly, I feel that I've waited for so long for Indigo Prime that Smith and Bagwell could just give us six pages a week of Arcana grumbling with subordinates in corridors for the next four months about his agents and I'd be pleased.  Getting crazy-mad double-page splashes and fungus spore attacks on humanity and all the, you know, plot as well is just icing on the cake.  This is amazing stuff.

The whole comic's on fire.  The only disappointment I have is that I really wanted Ampney Crucis and Cromwell to have a few more basic adventures together and save 1930s England from a few more in-universe threats before everything started going all wonky-dimensional and crossing over into Stone Island or Sin Dex or Ant Wars or what the hell ever.