Main Menu

Do you read small press comics? If not, why not?

Started by Daveycandlish, 21 February, 2012, 07:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

...and we've got a professional doing the cover and some professionals doing strips (ooer) in this year's Dr WTF ;)

Because as it turns out that the small press is amazingly fun - unrestricted by mainstream marketing bulls[spoiler]ho[/spoiler]t there's sometimes more imagination in one panel of some small press issues than there are in the entire runs of some comics. So it's no wonder professionals still dip their toes and faces in.

In fact, beyond the prog I actually rarely buy big comics at all -

I read 'em, I make 'em, I love 'em to pieces and I always will.

TordelBack

Bolt-01

Professor Bear

Why must you take my only joy in life from me, Dave?

Thought I'd post it here because of the digital comics angle, but Mark Waid is busy reinventing digital comics: http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/2012/02/21/truly-digital-comics with techniques that look a wee bit like what PJ was doing on the iPhone years ago.

For me, I don't mind gambling on small press comics, but the only real barrier is distribution, as if I can't find them obviously I can't buy them.  Fancy covers don't entice me as much, as otherwise I'd never have read any Al Ewing minicomics, and everyone should read League of Ultra Cats, which is unquestionably how the Justice League reboot should have happened.

Daveycandlish

Some interesting (and very honest!) replies here - thanks for all of them! It would seem that the answers are; those who read small press want to be (or actually are) involved in it, the Zarjaz gang have the biggest readership (not really surprising considering where we are posting!) around here, and the main problem is getting the comic seen for it to be bought; which means the expense of attending the con circuit.
But where does that leave the digital aspect? Should they only be free? Would you buy an online or downloadable comic? How much of a browse/free sample would you expect to have before committing to buy? Personally I prefer paper copies, but this is an aspect of small press that I'd like to know more about
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Emperor

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 23 February, 2012, 09:04:34 PM
But where does that leave the digital aspect? Should they only be free? Would you buy an online or downloadable comic? How much of a browse/free sample would you expect to have before committing to buy?

I don't think they need be just given away, merely that the bulk of the cover cost is covering printing (but possibly not con attendances), so the price can be made cheaper. That said, you don't want to undermine your print sales or you could be left with boxes of unsold comics.

So it might make sense to price the comics that haven't sold out at a reasonable percentage of the cover price and then offer a lower price for sold out editions, so interested readers who buy a more recent issue can catch up digitally pretty easily. Unless a story really takes off no one is going to be making serious money but adding in digital might get some more readers in and help cover other costs.

Price is always a tricky aspect - the sweet point for a lot of digital sales in 99 cents but that seems like a price for out-of-print, archived comics, you'd want to aim a higher for more recent issues.

Free samples is always tricky with anthology comics, as you quickly end up giving away one free instalment and you might as well give the whole comic away.

And yes I'd sample a lot more small press comics if they were cheap and digital, but I'd also get the ones that really interest me in paper form - I'm a dead wood junkie, but I also have a Kindle ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Ancient Otter

I have some stuff by Benjamin Mara, Becky Cloonan's self published books - do these count as small press, if they are created by relatively well known names?