Main Menu

Matt Seneca barbecues and eats Grant Morrison

Started by Syne, 22 May, 2012, 03:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Quote from: Emperor on 23 May, 2012, 04:16:34 AM"if he is like that in real-life, does he get punched in the face a lot?"

Lets hope so. I've never heard of this guy but I have heard of and read a lot of Morrisons stuff. I suppose I should now be upset that he somehow tricked me into thinking I had been entertained by some of it. Perhaps by using wank magic?

And are Trident one of the big 2?

Bloke comes across as a petulant bellend, end result being I would now go out of my way to avoid his stuff but still wouldn't burn it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Trout

Quote from: Satanist on 23 May, 2012, 10:19:07 AM
And are Trident one of the big 2?

Good point. Also, don't forget Morrison's long years of rejection by Commando. He did get some stuff published in the end.

Dandontdare

can anyone link to the actual review? That original link is just photos of him barbecuing the book. I'd like to confirm that he's a big a dick as he appears.

JOE SOAP

You want to see the full cock?

The link is in the book burning article.

Frank

LINK TO MATT SENECA'S ORIGINAL DIATRIBE

I can save you the bother of reading the whole thing, though, with this concise summary: 'I'm mad at Morrison in the same way I was mad at my parents as a teenager (and for the same reasons)'. I'm not sure if Grant Morrison ever pretended to the specific ideals and values Seneca hates him for 'betraying'.

Seneca appears to be blaming Morrison for the fact that he (Seneca) spent a decade enjoying his (Morrison's) work while ignorant of work produced by small press publishers.

JOE SOAP

Dandontdare

having read that, I concur with m'learned friend. Bell-end.

gdwessel

Yeah, that's some bullshit. He's definitely Danny Dyering it. (Well, the Frankie Boyle definition of Danny Dyerig it, anyway)...

Trout

Based on past incidents on this board, this is the point where the person we're slagging off turns up here to tell us all off.  ;)

Professor Bear

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 24 May, 2012, 01:21:56 PM
Based on past incidents on this board, this is the point where the person we're slagging off turns up here to tell us all off.  ;)

Maybe if Seneca turns up he could explain why he characterises Grant Morrison's attitude to Superman creators Siegel and Shuster as callous and crass, when Morrison's demonstrated his attitude to work for hire contracts and creators rights to be something more nuanced, considered and pragmatic than Seneca's ideological fervour; both in interviews and in his own work (published by DC!).

TordelBack

Oh look, Colin Smith's also writing not-entirely-complimentary things about Morrison this week.  But compare and contrast the approach taken:

http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.com/2012/05/on-batman-incorporated-1-readers.html

Now that's thoughtful commentary.  I now really want to read that comic, BTW! 

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 May, 2012, 11:54:27 PM
Oh look, Colin Smith's also writing not-entirely-complimentary things about Morrison this week.  But compare and contrast the approach taken:

http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.com/2012/05/on-batman-incorporated-1-readers.html

Now that's thoughtful commentary.  I now really want to read that comic, BTW!

That's a very good summary of my own feelings concerning Morrison's licensed property work. Even stuff like JLA, which received universal acclaim, left me struggling to see quite what everyone else was excited about. Like Colin's bog says, however technically accomplished his work on other people's characters might be, it's missing something vital.

When Inferno proved to be little more than a burlesque of Wagner-epic tropes (city laid waste, madman decreeing insane laws, Dredd removed from city) I considered that to be evidence of Morrison's lack of respect for the character, the strip and its author. Seeing what Morrison's writing becomes when he's working on books for which he has such obvious affection and respect has made me revise my opinion.