Main Menu

Strongly considering getting Case Files...

Started by revis84, 13 September, 2012, 03:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revis84

Having ordered the new style GNs of The Cursed Earth Saga, The Day The Law Died and The Dark Judges I am now contemplating returning them in favour of purchasing some Case Files.

Thoughts?

PS-are the CFs essentially a years worth of Progs in chronological order?

The Adventurer

Quote from: revis84 on 13 September, 2012, 03:29:47 PM
Having ordered the new style GNs of The Cursed Earth Saga, The Day The Law Died and The Dark Judges I am now contemplating returning them in favour of purchasing some Case Files.

Thoughts?

Probably a good plan. Cursed Earth and Day the Law Died are reprinted in Case Files 2. Judge Death is reprinted in Case Files 3. Judge Death Lives in Case Files 5 (+ Apocalypse War)

Plus the art is presented much larger to the original source, and you get all the OTHER Judge Dredd strips from the era.

EDIT: Also, yes to Chronological Order, and yes to a Year's Worth (often times MORE then a years worth actually. At least with the earlier volumes)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

revis84

The fact that TCES and TDTLD are in CF2 is what made me think of doing it (around the same cost!)

So after much deliberation I am doing it...Case Files here I come-funded by a nicely timed Xbox game clearout!

Exciting times!

PsychoGoatee

Excellent choice! Case Files 2 (with Cursed Earth and Day The Law Died) is a beaut. Also, if you skip around at all, I majorly recommend Case Files 14, the one with the Necropolis mega epic.

HdE

Yeah! Necropolis is BRILLIANT!

It's actually the sort of stroy that I generally wouldn't enjoy, made genuinely entertaining for being set in Dredd's world. I'd recommend you snag a copy of 'The Dead Man' prior to reading, though - you'll see why!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Steve Green

Quote from: revis84 on 13 September, 2012, 03:29:47 PM

Thoughts?

The CFs are great value - CF1 is prog 02 - 60 so it's about a year, but some are thicker so they don't split the epics.

They slim down once they hit colour, they're all great up to 14/15, but after that you hit the time when Ennis/Millar were writing Dredd and it's not quite as good. There are still some good Wagner Dredds from the megazine though.

Buttonman

If I was in the indoctoronation business I'd give some one Case Files 5 and stand back as they go broke.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 September, 2012, 05:37:03 PMThey slim down once they hit colour
Although not by much. The black-and-white volumes averaged about 350 pages. The colour ones tend to be 320. Also, once we hold our noses for a bit, we've got Wagner's 2000 AD return to look forward to. Did anyone work out when that would arrive?

grthink

Quote from: Buttonman on 14 September, 2012, 07:08:31 PM
If I was in the indoctoronation business I'd give some one Case Files 5 and stand back as they go broke.

I read 1,2 and 4 and loved them, but CF5 was INCREDIBLE. And I know everyone raves about Apocalypse War, but it really is superb. Was genuinely shocked by some of the brutality meted out in that story.

Dandontdare

I've often touted 5 as the best one to start with for a newcomer - so many great stories, avoids the sometimes dated earlier stuff, but establishes the character with some of the greatest ever stories.

Cursed Earth Dweller

I myself am a newcomer to Dredd and the case files books and I just started with volume one in earnest and worked my way from there, up to book 6 now. Being new to Dredd at the time I found there was enough material in volumes 1 & 2 to enjoy them but after havng read books 3, 4 & 5 a second time I doubt I'll be paging through them again.

Also, DO NOT skip Strontium Dog Agency files volume one as that is even better then Case files one & two IMO.

Mardroid

I'm actually reading Case Files 2 at the moment, and although Dredd seems to be somewhat a different character, I'm enjoying it a lot.