Main Menu

Dredd vs Spidey

Started by mogzilla, 20 February, 2013, 08:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mididoctors

I can't get past fairly hyperman when it comes to capes and crossovers...they seem popular enough but just detract for me.. I struggle with Johnny alpha meets Dredd

STEVONATRON

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 21 February, 2013, 01:53:11 PM
I thought he was a great Spidey. He was a heartfelt Peter and a (rightly) irritating Spider-man.
But hey! Horses for courses!

I just felt he was too emo - it reminded me of the Twilight series. I got the impression they were really trying hard to please that same audience and pulling in more female viewers (which isn't a bad thing per se). I've only watched it once, so maybe on the second viewing I might have a different opinion.

Silent_Bomber

I had a slight problem with the Bieber-esque, pretty boy look of the character, and the fact that he had a skateboard ::) (I don't remember Peter Parker being a Hipster/Indie Kid, and those elements kinda'  felt like they were forced in by fat middle-aged executives), but overall they did a lot more right than wrong in my opinion, and it was leagues better than the creepy stepform wives Peter Parker from the Raimi movies.

Spikes

Quote from: JamesC on 20 February, 2013, 10:49:20 PM
I could see a Dredd / Captain America crossover working - especially since Cap has been going more Sci Fi lately.
It seems like an obvious contrast to show Cap as the representation of the American Dream and Dredd as the antithesis of that.

Good call. Summat like this would deffo have potential of being a damn good read.

Frank

Quote from: mididoctors on 21 February, 2013, 03:04:43 PM
I struggle with Johnny alpha meets Dredd

Yep. I'd have no problem condemning that as an awful idea ... except Top Dogs was a fantastic one-off. If these things are left as standalone curios there's no harm in them, but one leads to another and the strength and originality of each strip's premise is diluted by the weird conceptual gymnastics necessary to accommodate the narrative dynamics of the other, and the need to showcase the individual fortes of each character.

darnmarr

mididoctors

Quote from: sauchie on 21 February, 2013, 08:32:16 PM
Quote from: mididoctors on 21 February, 2013, 03:04:43 PM
I struggle with Johnny alpha meets Dredd

Yep. I'd have no problem condemning that as an awful idea ... except Top Dogs was a fantastic one-off. If these things are left as standalone curios there's no harm in them, but one leads to another and the strength and originality of each strip's premise is diluted by the weird conceptual gymnastics necessary to accommodate the narrative dynamics of the other, and the need to showcase the individual fortes of each character.

Yeah... It all smacks of "who would win Superman or the Hulk?"... I suppose I [we?] am being a bit snobbish and shouldn't denigrate these crossovers since they are heavily in demand. who am I to condemn these stories. But like you I wish they were left in some standalone alternative universe one could choose to ignore.

where as more intricate crossovers in the 2000ad verse did work such as ABC warriors and Nemesis and of course old one eye who crops up like some long standing running joke. Harlem heros and Dredd. You can combine strips into a coherent vision that suspends disbelief but there is a line you must not cross.

Besides Alpha should have stayed dead...

Marvel sort of loses me to be honest.. I just don't get it. Though the windsor smith Conan story Red nails was good.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Link Prime on 21 February, 2013, 12:44:34 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 21 February, 2013, 12:36:13 PM
Quote from: STEVONATRON on 21 February, 2013, 12:34:47 PM
If Dredd gets to pummel Andrew Garfield's face in, I'm all up for this.

Why? What has Andrew Garfield done to you?

Enviable hair.

Yeah, and his terrible treatment of Odie and Jon.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dash Decent on 22 February, 2013, 10:51:03 AM

Enviable hair.

ZING

TordelBack

Quote from: Dash Decent on 22 February, 2013, 10:51:03 AM

Enviable hair.

Wasn't being shot in the back punishment enough?

darnmarr

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 February, 2013, 11:19:22 AM

Everyone knows getting shot in the back is a doddle; it's that tricky exit wound out the front that requires the immediate spray-cheese and staples. :D

Richmond Clements

Quote from: darnmarr on 22 February, 2013, 06:19:06 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 22 February, 2013, 11:19:22 AM

Everyone knows getting shot in the back is a doddle; it's that tricky exit wound out the front that requires the immediate spray-cheese and staples. :D

Well played, sir, well played.

O Lucky Stevie!

What Tordelback & Sauchie said.

Although, truth be told, if after a sufficiently respectful amount of time Tharg & Harry Harrison's estate came to agreement on a Dredd / Slippery Jim di Griz crossover in tribute to the great man then there would be no arguments from Stevie.

That profondo bass rumble that is swaying the light fixtures is Mike Carroll quaking at the very prospect. But, hand on heart, he'd be the man for the job.

& need you ask as to the artist? It could only be Carlos.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"