Main Menu

Dredd-ful?

Started by DrQ, 17 March, 2013, 07:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheechFU

Quote from: DrQ on 17 March, 2013, 07:07:46 AM
Firstly... I wanted to post this in the 'Film Discussion' section, but don't seem to be able to post a new topic or reply to any... is this coz I'm a newbie?

So that's my explanation for talking about the new film here.

Secondly... I did most of my reading of 2000AD + related comics in the 1980s, and a little bit in the 1990s, but haven't touched it since. My anticipation and viewing of 'Dredd,' however, has re-ignited my interest - I'm going to sound like a right old bugger when I say, however, that 2000AD is a lot pricier than it was! Of course it is, inflation and all that - but I put it to fans of 2000AD in the 21st century to convince me I should resume weekly injections of thrill power!

Onto the film...

It wasn't awful. There are parts of it that were right on the mark (Karl Urban; the uniform, Lawmaster, Lawgiver, Hall of Justice & general Judgey stuff) - but while the 1995 film failed to get serious enough... 'Dredd' was too serious! I have posted a review (of sorts) here...

http://pepsoid.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/a-feeling-of-dredd/

... but wanted to add that the new film completely lost the satire of the comic. Yes, I did only watch half the film, and I haven't read Judge Dredd in recent years, but may I direct you to a review by someone who presumably did watch all of the film and perhaps has more familiarity with 21st century Dredd? Here...

http://events.austin360.com/reviews/show/14280505-review-dredd-3d

- a review which I pretty much entirely agree with!

I repeat the word "satire" - which I think both films pretty much completely bypassed. Are we JD fans perceived as not intelligent enough to "get it"? Or something?

DrQ
I only read half of your post and none of this thread.
Am I late to the game?

sheldipez

Quote from: CheechFU on 12 May, 2013, 09:04:15 PM
Quote from: DrQ on 17 March, 2013, 07:07:46 AM
Firstly... I wanted to post this in the 'Film Discussion' section, but don't seem to be able to post a new topic or reply to any... is this coz I'm a newbie?

So that's my explanation for talking about the new film here.

Secondly... I did most of my reading of 2000AD + related comics in the 1980s, and a little bit in the 1990s, but haven't touched it since. My anticipation and viewing of 'Dredd,' however, has re-ignited my interest - I'm going to sound like a right old bugger when I say, however, that 2000AD is a lot pricier than it was! Of course it is, inflation and all that - but I put it to fans of 2000AD in the 21st century to convince me I should resume weekly injections of thrill power!

Onto the film...

It wasn't awful. There are parts of it that were right on the mark (Karl Urban; the uniform, Lawmaster, Lawgiver, Hall of Justice & general Judgey stuff) - but while the 1995 film failed to get serious enough... 'Dredd' was too serious! I have posted a review (of sorts) here...

http://pepsoid.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/a-feeling-of-dredd/

... but wanted to add that the new film completely lost the satire of the comic. Yes, I did only watch half the film, and I haven't read Judge Dredd in recent years, but may I direct you to a review by someone who presumably did watch all of the film and perhaps has more familiarity with 21st century Dredd? Here...

http://events.austin360.com/reviews/show/14280505-review-dredd-3d

- a review which I pretty much entirely agree with!

I repeat the word "satire" - which I think both films pretty much completely bypassed. Are we JD fans perceived as not intelligent enough to "get it"? Or something?

DrQ
I only read half of your post and none of this thread.
Am I late to the game?

It's never too late to bang your head against a wall.

johnnystress

I recently watched Batman:The Dark Knight rises

Having grown up watching the Adam West TV show I was disappointed that no giant recipe books or telephones appeared on the streets of Gotham , no dance numbers, no 'POW' sound effect graphics, no .... etc

Richmond Clements

Have you seen how young the policemen are nowadays?

Frank

Quote from: johnnystress on 13 May, 2013, 01:30:52 PM
I recently watched Batman:The Dark Knight rises ...

I think you mean you only watched half of The Dark Knight Rises.

Satanist

Pfft, watching half a films nothing. The new Star Wars films havent even been made yet and I already know they're shit.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sauchie on 13 May, 2013, 01:37:16 PM
I think you mean you only watched half of The Dark Knight Rises.

No, he watched the whole thing, but he had one eye closed all the way through.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.