Main Menu

Promethiarse - Piss take by 2000AD's Mark Harrison

Started by Pete Wells, 26 March, 2013, 12:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgefloyd

lovely Mad-Magazineish stuff!  Good one.
  I haven't seen Prometheus myself, but my son canned it, so I will be waiting until it comes out on tv.  I will always regret paying to see Avatar

I, Cosh

It certainly is a good facsimile of the Mad style. Older readers may recall their first exposure to Mark Harrison's art being in the Travellers strip he did for White Dwarf (alongside Carl Critchlow's Thrud the Barbarian) in the mid 80s. That featured more than a few nods to Aliens.
We never really die.

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: nicklambo on 03 April, 2013, 10:40:33 PM
Most disappointing film I've ever watched :(

If that's the most disappointing film you've ever watched....You really need to go out more.. :lol:
Christ there are loads of Really S**t movies out there.....One that immediately springs to mind for instance....Green Lantern......

I'm not trying to say it was great...BUT....on a scale from 1 - 10 it's about a 5 ( maybe 4.5 )......But most disappointing now....I'm afraid that ( for me ) still is, and will remain Dredd with the excretable Sly Stallone......and the horrendous Rob Schneider...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

JOE SOAP

I enjoyed Green Lantern far more than Prometheus. At least it had the classic 60's comic iconography of a giant screaming face flying through space.

Sideshow Bob

I enjoyed Prometheous a fair bit...It wasn't great,  but as a 'fan' of the series ( apart from Alien 3 ), I thought it wasn't too bad a 'slant' on a prequel....But definitely could ( and should ) have been loads better than it was....hence the 4.5 out of 10....

I think my main problem with Green Lantern is, and always has been the idea behind it.......Which apart from the Supercops / Guardians of the Universe scenario ...I could live with that.....It's the whole " He's got a Magic Ring ?!! " ...Somehow that just doesn't really 'fit in' with my idea of Superheroes.....

And I do know in the original Thor, the Doctor ( can't remember his name, Don Blake ?? )had a walking stick that transformed him into Thor......but the 'Magic Ring'....nope,  sorry !!
Technically, Special effects and all that were really good but in the end ( for me anyway ) a poor original premise and some absolutely atrocious acting, kinda 'killed it' for me...
And seriously,  it probably has more chance of getting a sequel than Dredd is likely to......Hoping against hope that that is not true though....
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

JOE SOAP

I think Prometheus more than GL had no idea of the type of film it was supposed to be. Thor still has a magic hammer; Loki has a magic staff- no one seems to mind.

Mardroid

And strictly speaking the Green Lantern rings aren't magical. They're advanced technology created by an ancient alien civilisation; essentially advanced holographic hard-light* projectors if I understand correctly.

I suspect I might be splitting hairs here, but I think the premise works within that universe. I'm speaking of the GL story in general here, I haven't actually seen the film. I know it got bad reviews by many on the net, and but that's not stopped me liking other films including Promethius.

*I haven't actually seen the technology described in detail in the (granted few) GL comics I've read. I do remember the term 'hard light' being used to describe the technology in an old Superman annual. (Mind you I seem to remember Wolverine appearing in that story too and since he is a Marvel character I think my memory might be playing tricks. It was a long time ago. He and a bunch of other characters used special 'flight rings' to zoom about of all things although that techs been corroborated.) But I've seen the phrase used in conjunction with GL since then. It's a term I've come across even more in Red Dwarf to describe Rimmer's Series 6 upgrade. :-)

Davek

Watched it for the first time last night and enjoyed it. It doesn't fare well when compared to first two Alien films but if it was the first film made in the franchise people would be raving about it IMO. That said, I can recognise its faults so will enjoy this pisstake.

Interesting comics related take on the film here too:
https://jlloydillustration.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/notes-on-prometheus/

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Davek on 25 May, 2013, 08:36:02 PM
Watched it for the first time last night and enjoyed it. It doesn't fare well when compared to first two Alien films but if it was the first film made in the franchise people would be raving about it IMO. That said, I can recognise its faults so will enjoy this pisstake.

Interesting comics related take on the film here too:
https://jlloydillustration.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/notes-on-prometheus/

Davek,
Thanks very much for that 'link' ...Really enjoyed that, with several very good points being made.....
Especially agreed with the scenario of little boys reading 'prohibited' comics,  and the effect it has on their future selves......That little guy was me when I was about 10.....Some other great comments about how great ideas are 'distilled' due to various mediums....Really good stuff !!
Cheers