Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: CASE FILES 20

Started by radiator, 21 June, 2013, 05:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bissler

Quote from: radiator on 26 June, 2013, 07:12:56 PM
October I believe, then 22 is out in... March 2014 I think.

Great news!  Glad to hear the release schedule of Case Files graphic novels is getting back to something approaching normal!

As for CF20, I agree with Radiator's assesment of the book.  The first half of the book is pretty poor stuff, and I feel sorry for a lot of the artists on these scripts; the standard of their work is so much better than this wretched material deserves.

One of the most glaring problems with the first half of CF20 was that with The Book of the Dead, The Frankenstein Division and The Enemy Below, you have the same story played out three times over - Dredd meets a seemingly indestructible opponent, [spoiler]kills it[/spoiler], end of story.  On a sidenote, I was confused when I started reading The Enemy Below as it was dealing with the aftermath of the hateful Inferno tale from CF 19.  Why did this story suddenly appear so long after that one?  Surely, draining the Iso-Cubes would have been one of the Judges' first priorities after Inferno, rather than waiting until months after?  Anyway, that confused me.

Thank grud then for the 2nd half of the book when Mr Wagner largely takes over.  Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart was wonderful as was Giant, really strong stories that remind you how good Dredd strips can be!  The other stories, while not as strong, were solid stuff and a big step up in quality from the dross earlier on in the book.

Such a shame then that the book was wrapped up by the appropriately-titled "Howler", in which we get the 4th Dredd v unstoppable enemy story of the book.  It's simply appalling stuff, and when I finished reading it I was left wondering "why?".  Equally shocking is Mike McMahon's illustration on the story; I've never been a great fan of McMahon but I have always been impressed with the level of detail he usually puts into his art.  Not so here, it just looked like a ludicrous cartoon version of Dredd, horrible, horrible, horrible.

Overall then, a poor entry to the Case Files but from what I'd heard here I'd never expected a classic.  At least there were a few good stories, something I don't remember being the case when I read CF19.  Best of all though is that I've heard that the worst of Dredd now behind us.  Bring on CF21!

radiator

You're totally wrong about Howler. It makes me grind my teeth when someone wheels out the tired old "detail" = good "cartoon" = bad nonsense.

QuoteBest of all though is that I've heard that the worst of Dredd now behind us.

Hmmm. Not quite, we've still got some proper stinkers to go - chief among them Crusade, and there was that very dodgy mid-nineties era when seemingly anyone and their uncle were allowed a shot at writing Dredd. I think around CF23-25 we'll see a real upswing in quality, with stuff like The Pit, The Cal Files and Bad Frendz getting an airing.

IndigoPrime

I agree. Howler was irreverent and a very Wagner take on the indestructible enemy that worked really nicely in the Meg at the time. It's a pity it's in a book that has three fairly similar stories from a structural standpoint, although none come close. As for the art, McMahon can be challenging, but I love an artist that evolves, and he certainly did on that strip.

As for CF19/20, isn't the big glitch the one where McGruder's OK after being hurled off the West Wall, then up and about, and then almost dead again?

Frank

Quote from: The Bissler on 10 July, 2013, 02:45:10 PM
Such a shame then that the book was wrapped up by the appropriately-titled "Howler", in which we get the 4th Dredd v unstoppable enemy story of the book.  It's simply appalling stuff, and when I finished reading it I was left wondering "why?".  Equally shocking is Mike McMahon's illustration on the story; I've never been a great fan of McMahon but I have always been impressed with the level of detail he usually puts into his art.  Not so here, it just looked like a ludicrous cartoon version of Dredd, horrible, horrible, horrible.

Obviously your opinion can't be wrong, but I love McMahon's art on Howler, his designs for the character are astonishingly good, and Howler's my favourite kind of Dredd villain - a monomaniacal, driven and insular loudmouth in the mould of Call-Me-Kenneth, Mean Angel, Cookie from Oz, and the number 5 mechanismo unit.

Whatever faults the story had as a monthly strip were a result of Wagner experimenting with the same decompressed narrative style he'd employed with Colin MacNeil on the first part of Mechanismo (not an awful lot happens overall, and there are lots of one panel pages), so I suppose if the art isn't working for you then being asked to enjoy marvelling at its beauty instead of becoming engrossed in the story isn't going to go down well.

Greg M.

Quote from: radiator on 10 July, 2013, 02:55:43 PM
Hmmm. Not quite, we've still got some proper stinkers to go - chief among them Crusade, and there was that very dodgy mid-nineties era when seemingly anyone and their uncle were allowed a shot at writing Dredd.

I dunno - apart from 'Crusade' and maybe the odd one shot, the worst of it is now out of the way. What other stinkers are you anticipating that I'm forgetting? We'll be almost immediately straight into Wagner's proper return to 2000AD in CF21, and very swiftly into the 'Wilderlands' era. It's not the highpoint of Wagner's run, but it's solid stuff.

radiator

QuoteI dunno - apart from 'Crusade' and maybe the odd one shot, the worst of it is now out of the way.

Yeah, just had a quick look at the listings on Touch By the Hand of Tharg and you're probably right - by the looks of it the next few books are going to be largely great but flecked with nuggets of cack rather than the other way round as with the last few. There are still a lot of fairly bad Megazine stuff to power through though - but they're spaced further apart than I remembered, and there's a lot more Wagner material than I thought.

When we get to like CF24/25 it's plain sailing - there's a period of about three years in the late ninteties when Wagner was writing Dredd pretty much singlehanded in 2000ad and the Meg - and there's lots of really good stuff like 'Mad City', 'Fast Food', and luxurious 14-20pg Megazine strips that have never been reprinted anywhere. Those books are going to be solid slabs of gold.

The Bissler

Quote from: radiator on 10 July, 2013, 04:26:58 PM
QuoteI dunno - apart from 'Crusade' and maybe the odd one shot, the worst of it is now out of the way.

Yeah, just had a quick look at the listings on Touch By the Hand of Tharg and you're probably right - by the looks of it the next few books are going to be largely great but flecked with nuggets of cack rather than the other way round as with the last few. There are still a lot of fairly bad Megazine stuff to power through though - but they're spaced further apart than I remembered, and there's a lot more Wagner material than I thought.

When we get to like CF24/25 it's plain sailing - there's a period of about three years in the late ninteties when Wagner was writing Dredd pretty much singlehanded in 2000ad and the Meg - and there's lots of really good stuff like 'Mad City', 'Fast Food', and luxurious 14-20pg Megazine strips that have never been reprinted anywhere. Those books are going to be solid slabs of gold.

Delighted to hear that, it sounds like there is a lot to look forward to! 

As for being "totally wrong" about Howler, I'm glad to see I'm in the minority and that other people did enjoy the story.  I have been a big fan of Dredd for over 25 years and I do want to enjoy all of the stories, but it has been difficult with a lot of tales in the last few volumes.  Also, I don't read many reviews of comics so I wasn't aware of the "tired old "detail" = good "cartoon" = bad nonsense" argument, I just wrote down my opinions of the book as honestly as I could, wasn't seeking to antagonise anyone.  I'm not against cartoon art in general, I think some cartoonish art can look fantastic, but for me, I really disliked it compared to Mike McMahon's earlier, highly detailed work and didn't think it particularly suited his style.  As I said, I'm not the biggest fan of his art so perhaps I'm not best qualified to critique his work objectively, but equally, would someone who loves his style be any better qualified?  Because of the passion shown here, I read the story again to see if maybe I was in the wrong mood when I read it first time around.  Maybe I missed something, or maybe it just wasn't my thing, but sadly I genuinely didn't enjoy it on either reading. 

Sorry if people didn't appreciate my review, but please don't feel too annoyed about it, how we respond to art is a very personal matter and sometimes we respond very differently.   Like I said, I'm pleased that other people enjoyed it!

radiator

My 'wrong' statement was a deliberately OTT one and meant in a jovial way, so please don't take offence. However, I won't deny that its one of my pet peeves when people criticise an artist's style for being 'cartoony' and not 'realistic/detailed' enough, and its something I always feel compelled to challenge.

In all honesty, I DO get why some people don't like McMahon - especially that period of his work. I get why people don't like Ezquerra's stuff too. Their work is not conventionally 'pretty' or slick like most comic art.

The Bissler

Quote from: radiator on 10 July, 2013, 05:46:10 PM
My 'wrong' statement was a deliberately OTT one and meant in a jovial way, so please don't take offence. However, I won't deny that its one of my pet peeves when people criticise an artist's style for being 'cartoony' and not 'realistic/detailed' enough, and its something I always feel compelled to challenge.

In all honesty, I DO get why some people don't like McMahon - especially that period of his work. I get why people don't like Ezquerra's stuff too. Their work is not conventionally 'pretty' or slick like most comic art.

Absolutely no problem, I wasn't offended, just wanted to explain that I had just wrote it the way I saw it (and that I wasn't trolling).  And while I may not be a great McMahon fan, I absolutely love Ezquerra's art!  It may very well be the reason the Strontium Dog strips are among my favourite 2000AD stories of all time.

Spikes

Quote from: radiator on 10 July, 2013, 05:46:10 PM
Their work is not conventionally 'pretty' or slick like most comic art.

And that's precisely why i love their art so much. Thank Grud we have artist's like that.

IronGraham

I have to say this was a big improvement over 19 i just didn't get on with that one mainly for Inferno beautiful art story was uhh. this i had alot more fun with especially the Megazine section can't wait for 21 now. :)
We're werewolves not swearwolves

radiator

Really looking forward to the next few books - this is the period where I discovered Dredd and started buying 2000ad for the first time so i have a soft spot for stuff like The Pit, The Three Amigos, Mad City and even The Hunting Party.

The whole Edgar/Nero Narcos/Demarco story arc that runs from 'Statue of Judgement' and 'Bad Frendz' right up to 'Doomsday' - basically Volt's tenure as CJ, is probably my personal favourite era of Dredd for that reason.

James Stacey

Im really looking forward to it as it was the period directly after I'd given up on 2000ad due to the shitslide in quality. I've done a re-read of most of the Dredd material I missed but it'll be nice to revisit.

radiator

I think I'm right in saying that the mid to late nineties is the era with the richest amount of good quality Dredd that has never been reprinted in any form*, a lot of them by John Wagner.

Here's a rough list compiled from Touched By the Hand of Tharg:

QuoteAddiction, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #71 (1/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Tom Carney.

The Strange Case of Bill Clinton, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #72 (2/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Siku.

Skar, 4 episodes, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #73-76 (2/95 to 3/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Ashley Wood.

Poor Johnny, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #77 (4/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Steve Sampson.

The Secret Life of Judge Pal, 2 episodes, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #78-79 (4/95). Story by John Wagner, art by S.B. Davis.

Terror with Mrs Gunderson, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #80 (5/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Jason Brashill.

Whatever Happened to Bill Clinton?, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #81 (6/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Siku.

Repeat Offender, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #81 (6/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Tom Carney.

Bug Crazy, 2 episodes, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.2 #82-83 (6/95 to 7/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Charlie Gillespie.

Killing Time, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #9 (11/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Paul Marshall & Dondie Cox.

Judge Spotters, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #10 (11/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Tom Carney.

Blowout, 2000 AD prog 949 (7/21/95). Story by John Wagner, art by David Hine.

Language Barrier, 2000 AD prog 950 (7/28/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Jason Brashill.

The Neon Man, 2000 AD prog 951 (8/4/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Carlos Ezquerra.

Megalot, 2000 AD prog 952 (8/11/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Carlos Ezquerra.

Jigsaw!, 2000 AD prog 953 (8/18/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Chris Foss.

Caught Short, 2000 AD prog 953 (8/18/95). Story by John Wagner, art by "Turmoil."

Blaster Buddy, 2000 AD prog 954 (8/25/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Anthony Williams

My Son the Hero, 2000 AD prog 955 (9/1/95). Story by John Wagner, art by John Higgins

Bad Frendz, 5 episodes, 2000 AD progs 955-959 (9/1/95 to 9/29/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Carlos Ezquerra.

To Thing With Love, 2000 AD prog 956 (9/8/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Chris Weston & Mike Hadley.

The Decision, 2000 AD prog 957 (9/15/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Andrew Currie.

Awakening Angels, 2000 AD prog 958 (9/22/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Carlos Ezquerra.

Dead Simple, 2000 AD prog 964 (11/3/95). Story by John Wagner, art by Cliff Robinson & Gina Hart.

Weapon, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #17 (5/96). Story by John Wagner, art by Jason Brashill.

View from a Window, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #22 (9/96). Story by John Wagner, art by Eoin Covenay.

Return to the Hottie House, 2000 AD prog 1007 (9/3/96). Story by John Wagner, art by S.B. Davis.

Awayday, 2000 AD prog 1008 (9/10/96). Story by John Wagner, art by Greg Staples.

Death of a Legend, 2000 AD prog 1009 (9/17/96). Story by John Wagner, art by Peter Doherty.

My Brilliant Career, 2000 AD prog 1010 (9/24/96). Story by John Wagner, art by Alex Ronald & Alan Craddock.

Question of Sport, 2000 AD prog 1011 (10/1/96). Story by John Wagner, art by Tom Carney & Alan Craddock.

The Rise & Fall of Chair Man Dilbert, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1012-1013 (10/8 & 10/15/96). Story by John Wagner, art by Trevor Hairsine.

Simple Domestic, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #35 (11/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Steve Tappin.

He Came from Outer Space!, 2000 AD prog 1033 (3/11/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Jim Murray.

Mad City, 3 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1050-1052 (7/8/97 to 7/22/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Greg Staples.

Fast Food, 4 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1054-1057 (8/5/97 to 8/26/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Kevin Walker.

Spooks, 4 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1058-1061 (9/2/97 to 9/23/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Calum Alexander Watt.

A Walk on Gang Alley, double-length episode, 2000 AD prog 1062 (9/30/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Alex Ronald & Alan Craddock.

Mrs. Gunderson's Little Adventure, 3 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1063-1065 (10/7/97 to 10/21/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Henry Flint.

Attack of the Sex-Crazed Love Dolls!, 2000 AD prog 1066 (10/28/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Greg Staples.

Spawney, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1067-1068 (11/4/97 & 11/11/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Peter Doherty.

Bo Peeper, 2000 AD prog 1069 (11/18/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Cliff Robinson & Dondie Cox.

Bum Rap, 2000 AD prog 1070 (11/25/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Ian Gibson.

Escape from Old New York Street, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1071-1072 (12/2/97 & 12/9/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Paul Marshall & Alan Craddock.

The Story of Genes, 2000 AD prog 1073 (12/16/97). Story by John Wagner, art by Lee Sullivan & Alan Craddock.

To Die For, 3 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1074-1076 (12/23/97 to 1/6/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Paul Marshall & Alan Craddock.

No More Jimmy Deans, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #39 (3/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Trevor Hairsine.

The Bouncey Brats Heist, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #42 (6/98). Story by John Wagner, art by "Siku".

Stone Killer, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #43 (7/98). Story by John Wagner, art by John Burns.

Vidspex, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #44 (8/98). Story by John Wagner, art by "Siku."

A Death in the Family, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #45 (9/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Sean Phillips.

Worst of Frendz, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #46 (10/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Steve Tappin & Alan Craddock.

Who's Wally?, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #46 (10/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Cam Kennedy & Gary Caldwell.

Apetown, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #47 (11/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Jason Brashill.

In the Year 2120, 24 pages, 2000 AD prog 1077 (1/13/98). Story by Wagner & Alan Grant (uncredited), art Jason Brashill & Dondie Cox.

Missing, 6 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1078-1083 (1/20/98 to 2/24/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Lee Sullivan & Alan Craddock.

Headbangers, double-length episode, 2000 AD prog 1084 (3/3/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Alex Ronald & Gary Caldwell.

Pup Fiction, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1085-1086 (3/17/98 & 3/24/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Cliff Robinson & Alan Craddock.

Angel of Mercy, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1090-1091 (4/21/98 & 4/28/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Alex Ronald & Gary Caldwell.

Down on Sausage Tree Farm, 4 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1092-1095 (5/5/98 to 5/26/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Paul Marshall & Gary Caldwell.

You've Been Fingered, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1096-1097 (6/2/98 & 6/9/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Julian Gibson.

In the Ugly Hour, 2000 AD prog 1098 (6/16/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Killian Plunkett.

When the El Breaks, 2000 AD prog 1099 (6/23/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Siku.

The Mega-City Way of Death, double-length episode, 2000 AD prog 1111 (9/15/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Greg Staples & Alan Craddock.

Dreams of Glory, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1112-1113 (9/29/98 & 10/6/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Jim Murray.

Death Becomes Him, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1114-1115 (10/13/98 & 10/20/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Alex Ronald & Gary Caldwell.

There's Something About Four Marys, 2000 AD prog 1116 (10/27/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Steve Tappin.

Virtual Soldier, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1117-1118 (11/3/98 & 11/10/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Rafael Garres & Alan Craddock.

Simp City, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1119-1120 (11/17/98 & 11/24/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Peter Doherty.

Wounded Heart, 2000 AD prog 1121 (12/1/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Paul Marshall & Alan Craddock.

Gun Play, 2000 AD prog 1122 (12/8/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Paolo Parente.

Christmas Angel, 2 episodes (pt 2 double-length), 2000 AD progs 1123-1124 (12/21/98 & 12/28/98). Story by John Wagner, art by Jason Brashill.

The Contract, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #50 (2/99). Story by John Wagner, art by Cam Kennedy & D'Israeli.

There Be Dragons, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #51 (3/99). Story by John Wagner, art by Greg Staples.

I, Jovis, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #60 (12/99). Story by John Wagner, art by Steve Parkhouse.

Termination With Extreme Prejudice, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1139-1140 (4/13/99 & 4/20/99). Story by John Wagner, art by Alex Ronald & Gary Caldwell.

The Revenge of Trapper Hag, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1165-1166 (10/19/99 & 10/26/99). Story by John Wagner, art by "Siku" (Ajibayo Akinsiku) & Chris Blythe.

A Night With Judge Death, 2000 AD prog 1168 (11/9/99). Story by John Wagner, art by Andy Clarke, S. Baskerville & Chris Blythe.

Incident at Rowdy Yates, 2000 AD prog 1169 (11/16/99). Story by John Wagner, art by Paul Marshall & Chris Blythe.

Future Crimes, 2000 AD "Prog 2000" (12/21/99). Story by John Wagner, art by Mike McMahon & Trevor Hairsine.

Lobsang Rampage, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #61 (1/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Andy Clarke.

Short Circuit, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #61 (1/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Colin Wilson.

Dead Ringer, 7 episodes, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #64-69 (4/00 to 9/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Duncan Fegredo, Jock, Wayne Reynolds, Simon Coleby, Anthony Williams, Ben Oliver & Richard Elson (1 episode each) and Chris Blythe (color throughout). (Episodes 6 & 7 in #69.)

Ten Years, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #70 (10/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Jock.

Jimping, 2 episodes, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #71-72 (11/00 to 12/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Dylan Teague.

The Cal Legacy, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1178-1179 (2/8/00 & 2/15/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Colin Wilson & Janet Gale.

Pyrokinetics, 2000 AD prog 1189 (4/25/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Arthur Ranson.

Slow Crime Day, 2000 AD prog 1191 (5/9/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Peter Doherty & Chris Blythe

The Des Lynham Story, 2000 AD prog 1192 (5/16/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Laurence Campbell & Chris Blythe.

Judge Dredd and the Shirley Temple of Doom, 2000 AD 4 episodes, progs 1193-1196 (5/23/00 to 6/13/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Jock & Gary Caldwell.

Cube Life, 2000 AD prog 1203 (8/1/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Siku & Chris Blythe.

Someone in the House, 2000 AD prog 1205 (8/15/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Siku & Chris Blythe.

The Island, 2000 AD prog 1206 (8/22/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Frazer Irving & Len O'Grady.

Turned Out Quite Nice Again, 2 episodes, 2000 AD progs 1207-1208 (8/29/00 & 9/5/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Henry Flint & Len O'Grady.

Dinner at Shapiro's, 2000 AD prog 1209 (9/12/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Steve Parkhouse.

Generation Killer, 2000 AD prog 1212 (10/3/00). Story by John Wagner, art by John Higgins.

Blow Out!, 2000 AD prog 1213 (10/10/00). Story by John Wagner, art by Peter Doherty.

Crossing Ken Dodd, 2000 AD prog 1214 (10/17/00). Story by Wagner, art by Jock & Chris Blythe.

Ghost in the Machine, Judge Dredd Megazine vol.3 #73 (1/01). Story by John Wagner, art by Patrick Goddard, Dylan Teague & Chris Blythe.

That's a hell of a lot of material including some really good forgotten/underrated one-offs (Slow Crime Day, Simple Domestic) and even the odd little mini-epic (Dead Ringer).

*except for one or two that may have popped up in the Megazine reprints or Mega City Masters collections.

Theblazeuk

As noted elsewhere, I found #20 the very worst of them all - mainly as all of the ongoings left me cold or actively offended me. Even Book of the Dead became a shining light next to the Sugar Trade (or do I meen next to ze steenkin shuugerr trade ey gringo, **** off). Howler I liked the idea more than the execution. I like McMahon but not this particular blocky style which really worked much better in Sonic The Comic's 'Decap Attack' strip.