Main Menu

Zombo makes Time Magazine's Top 10 Comics of 2014

Started by Ancient Otter, 04 December, 2013, 08:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Well hats off to all concerned. That's a great feather in the cap. Interesting list... well except for continuing the illusion that Saga is any more than just a good comic. IT'S NOT VONNEGUT. Not. In. A. Million. Years.

...and relax Taylor this is meant to be all about well done Al and Henry.

Steve Green

DrJomster

Great news!

Glad to see The Phoenix do well too. Proper comics for kids! Not that stuff with a toy on the front, where they only want it for the toy, barely read the comic then get bored with the toy... Or is that just me?
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

SuperSurfer

And to think I call myself a comic fan. Other than Zombo I've only heard of Pheonix in that list.

Then again in the last years I think I've been slowly coming to the realisation that I am actually a 2000AD fan rather than a comic fan. Nothing else seems to interest me much these days.

JOE SOAP

The Adventurer

Wow that's great news!

I really gotta get my hands on Bad Houses. Clara Speed McNeil! Albeit only in an artist capacity here, her Finder series is PHENOMENAL.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

QuoteAnd to think I call myself a comic fan. Other than Zombo I've only heard of Pheonix in that list.

Then again in the last years I think I've been slowly coming to the realisation that I am actually a 2000AD fan rather than a comic fan. Nothing else seems to interest me much these days.

Man, as a 2000AD fan you really owe it to yourself to give SAGA a try. Sci-fi weirdness to the extreme!

PsychoGoatee

Very cool to see Zombo on there. In general I think it's a poor list though, I dig Saga but for a "comics and GNs" list it feels very heavy on GNs and not big on lengthy ongoing runs.

It also has a certain vibe where great stuff like say Savage Dragon wouldn't be on there just because of the genre or perceived credibility, where they feel like they have to pick "arty-ish" seeming stuff to some degree. Also Sex Criminals is an odd choice for #1, especially so early in it's run.

All personal taste naturally, ha but hey these lists do come across often a bit pretentiously, for lack of a better word. Which is why it is refreshing to see Zombo on there.

The Adventurer

I don't think this list seems pretentious at all. In fact as I read down it I was quite surprised with how balanced it came across. For a magazine website rattling off a list of funny books it's one of the better ones I've seen.

PsychoGoatee

Fair enough, it is tough to explain some of these ineffable things, bit pretentious just one way to try describing it. Kind of like the Oscars, a get a vibe of this list that it's only really considering a fairly narrow scope of what's out there.

But then again, I'm probably putting too much analysis into this. Just personal taste, and I don't really dig the taste of this Wolk guy I guess.

CrazyFoxMachine

I LOVE that the Phoenix is in there :D