Main Menu

The Complete Accident Man - Pat Mills

Started by robert_ellis, 23 February, 2014, 08:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

Just finished reading "The Complete Accident Man" Hardcover from Titan. It reprints all the adventures from Toxic weekly and the b&w Dark Horse mini-series. There's a lovely intro from Mills and sketches from Duke Mighten. It's bloody brilliant black comedy about an assassin who makes all his hits look like accidents. It's probably closest in tone to Marshal Law. Some may find the change of artists jarring but each does a great job. Howard Chaykin only provides 3 covers despite having top artist billing on the cover.

Leigh S

Is this out - cool.  Was there only the one accident Man series outside of Toxic?  Been a long time since I read them

robert_ellis

I bought the one copy in GOSH in Soho... Liked I say lovely Howard Chaykin cover and end papers. I'm pretty sure there was only ever a 3 issue Dark Horse mini- series outside of the 31 issues of Toxic although Toxic reprinted some of its run as specials. Wonder if there is any love for any of the other Toxic stories?

Frank

Quote from: robert_ellis on 23 February, 2014, 09:43:03 PM
Wonder if there is any love for any of the other Toxic stories?

If Colin MacNeil ever fancies finishing The Road To Hell and finally making some of the money he, McDuffie and Wayne (and everyone else who worked on Toxic) were never paid, it would be a perfect fit for the Megazine's creator owned slot. Now the Marshal Law and Accident Man stories are back in print, Toxic's strongest material is probably already available, though. Maybe a compendium of the scraps of stuff like Sex Warrior and Mutomaniac which actually saw print would be the best way to make it available for anyone who's interested.

Sounds like a case for Maryanddavid.

robert_ellis

Anyone remember "The Driver"? It was unlike anything else. I can't really recommend it but it really stood out from anything I'd ever seen before or since.

Frank

ECBT2000ad's latest Mills-fest features the information that he, Skinner and Duke Mighten produced a new Accident Man strip which didn't make this printing of the collection. Mills says he and Skinner own the copyright to the character and seem keen to write more, but whether they do will depend on how well this volume sells. Mills and O'Neill have total ownership of Marshal Law too, which I didn't think was the case. No reason we couldn't see it in the creator slot of the Megazine someday (that's my speculation):

http://ecbt2000ad.libsyn.com/ecbt2000ad-ep155-pat-mills-part-1

robert_ellis

This is great news! How many copies do I have to buy?

jackstarr

QuoteIf Colin MacNeil ever fancies finishing The Road To Hell and finally making some of the money he, McDuffie and Wayne (and everyone else who worked on Toxic) were never paid, it would be a perfect fit for the Megazine's creator owned slot.
While this would be great to see, I wonder if Colin's style has changed too much since then for a seamless continuation - and of course Dwayne McDuffie is no longer around to get his opinion on finishing the piece.  Perhaps the series is too much of it's time to work now in the same way as originally intended?
I would however like to see more McNeil in the Meg, and any creator-owned work could go part-way to making up for the losses incurred over Toxic, even if it isn't the original.  Unless of course Colin has an artistic itch to scratch in finishing it off!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sauchie on 11 March, 2014, 07:19:51 AMMills and O'Neill have total ownership of Marshal Law too, which I didn't think was the case.
Huh. Interesting. I guess that explains why it's bounced around publishers. I wish they had the same rights for Metalzoic—that's a strip that desperately needs a new collection.

BPP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 March, 2014, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: sauchie on 11 March, 2014, 07:19:51 AMMills and O'Neill have total ownership of Marshal Law too, which I didn't think was the case.
Huh. Interesting. I guess that explains why it's bounced around publishers. I wish they had the same rights for Metalzoic—that's a strip that desperately needs a new collection.

Did he not say they owned it and had other ancillary rights (merchandising) but that DC had publishing rights and first refusal on any new works?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

vark

Quote from: BPP on 11 March, 2014, 01:13:56 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 March, 2014, 11:09:36 AM

Did he not say they owned it and had other ancillary rights (merchandising) but that DC had publishing rights and first refusal on any new works?
Yes, DC has the © for Metalzoic https://www.facebook.com/PatMillsLostStories

vark

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: robert_ellis on 24 February, 2014, 10:53:26 PM
Anyone remember "The Driver"? It was unlike anything else. I can't really recommend it but it really stood out from anything I'd ever seen before or since.

Oh yes we do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-PjNLRUdw8
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

robert_ellis

wow! The Driver always had a lo-fi animated feel to it!