Main Menu

Good Drinkin'

Started by Link Prime, 10 October, 2013, 05:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 February, 2014, 03:39:42 PM
I've found myself simultaneously reading Pete Brown's Three Sheets to the Wind (a non-fiction book about a beer enthusiast's trips round the world to sample top beers) and Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Drinking. 

This task should be a requirement of Irish citizenship.  We'll see who's a plastic Paddy then, so we will.

Albion

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 February, 2014, 03:39:42 PM
I've found myself simultaneously reading Pete Brown's Three Sheets to the Wind (a non-fiction book about a beer enthusiast's trips round the world to sample top beers)

I've read all but the latest of Pete Browns books. They are excellent. Informative and very funny.

My homebrewed Cyser is good drinkin'. That's a Mead made with apple juice instead of water. It's drokkin' lovely.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

JayzusB.Christ

Think I might ditch the Carr book for the time being and enjoy Three Sheets to the Wind[/].  And my beer.  In perhaps lesser quantities as I have been lately though.
Think I fell at the last hurdle, there Tordels.  Er, so I did, so I did, to be sure, to be sure.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

Just been drinking the afore mentioned John Smiths tonight. (Still on my second pint.)
Thinking maybe I should try other stuff.  (Not tonight.) I tend to be a bit fussy with beer so stick to what I know.

ZenArcade

My dad who's 81 told me the story about attending a mission when he was a kid. A mission is a Roman Catholic celebration of faith where you basically spend the better part of a week going to mass and generally becoming immersed in the faith in a big way (believe me I've been there and it's hard going).
So anyway the apogee of the mission is a final mass held by the priests from the missionary order. These guys are normally fairly robust, formidable types and ardently believe in the wholehearted participation of the congregation.
So dad my grandmother and grandfather and pretty much every one else in the parish were crammed into the chapel and this man mountain of a priest with a beard and belief in bucketfuls is getting them to recite their baptismal vows. He roars out: 'do you reject Satan and all of his works and deeds'; the congregation reply: 'we do'. The priest isn't happy with the fervour being shown so he repeats the question and the reply is louder this time around.
My dad at this stage noticed the local drunk sideling in at the back of the chapel, well oiled on poteen (a homemade distilled spirit). At this juncture the priest sensing the crowd and wishing for an exhultation worthy of waking the dead repeats for a third time in a bull roar of a voice: 'do you reject Satan and all of his nefarious works and deeds'?
From the back of the chapel the old drunk who had just reached a rare moment of lucidity shouts back: 'aye, f**k him, f**k him'! ;) Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Link Prime

Like the rest of youse booze hounds, I like discovering a new drop, and despite since being informed of its wide availability in Ireland from 2012, I tried my hand at a few Blue Moon for the first time last weekend.

A 'craft beer' from Coors / Molson, you'd be forgiven a twitchy sneer, but trust me- it's actually pretty darn good.
Served with a preposterous slice of orange (quickly discarded) on the side of the pint glass, I was quite sure I'd only have the one.
But I stuck it out for four, and what I got was the following;
4 surprisingly refreshing pints of flat-ish wheat beer.
A bit tipsy (it's bloody rocket fuel!).

One to watch for the summer I think.

ZenArcade

Hmmmm,4 pints of Blue Moon....it'll leave you standing alone; without a dream in your heart; with a love of your own...probably. Z

Frank

PURPLE DRANK OR SIZZURP

Ingredients

Promethazine w/Codeine cough syrup

Any fruit flavored soda

Jolly Ranchers or Skittles

Directions

Grind sweets into granules and mix with syrup and soda in foam cup

The most popular type of codeine syrup is promethazine-codeine, a prescription cough syrup. The active ingredients are codeine, a narcotic, and promethazine, an antihistamine. When taken in large quantities, both medications can lead to sedation and altered levels of consciousness. The inclusion of the antihistamine is intended to deter abuse, as doses higher-than-recommended can produce extreme somnolence, clinical weakness, and ultimately, fatal hypoventilation (inadequate breathing to sustain life). In lower doses, the antihistamine targets cold symptoms through reducing both swelling and vasodilation; it also acts to potentiate the opiate codeine.

ZenArcade

I take it Sauchie, Glen Farby's just pm'd you over that 'critique' of his prog 1881 cover, and you're resorting to this to kill the pain/shame??? Z :o