Main Menu

Prog 1901 - Trigger Warning

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 27 September, 2014, 11:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

The number of City Blocks to citizens ratio is a thorny one even before Apocalyspe War and Chaos Day... when you had 800,000,000 - even assuming an average of 40,000 per block, you only have 20,000 blocks spread out over all that space - After the apocalypse war you have 300 sectors 10,000 blocks worth of citizens... so 30 odd blocks per sector... You have to assume the 65,000 blocks are the largest types and the average block is much smaller - say 20,000? A good number may only house a fraction of even that.  That thread will probably appear again you know....

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Leigh S on 03 October, 2014, 10:13:06 PMAfter the apocalypse war you have 300 sectors 10,000 blocks worth of citizens... so 30 odd blocks per sector...

Ah, but you're assuming an even spread of blocks to sectors. As Zenarcade worked out, it's far more likely that many sectors are almost entirely industrial - water treatment plants, factory complexes, power stations, munce farms and the like - with the residential zones concentrated in the centre, down the coast and along river courses.
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

True, but even if you assume half the City is industrial Zone, that only doubles it up to 60ish - and the idea of vast areas that are just industrial has never been much hinted at in the strip itself (though would be cool if it was)

Dark Jimbo

Yeah, this is admittedly all fanwank, but it does help the city make a bit more sense!
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Quote from: Leigh S on 03 October, 2014, 10:13:06 PM
The number of City Blocks to citizens ratio is a thorny one even before Apocalyspe War and Chaos Day...  That thread will probably appear again you know....

As I am relatively new to the Forum I have n't seen a previous thread on this subject. Any chance of a link to it? I would be interested to read it.

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 October, 2014, 09:51:58 AM
Quote from: Leigh S on 03 October, 2014, 10:13:06 PM
The number of City Blocks to citizens ratio is a thorny one even before Apocalyspe War and Chaos Day...  That thread will probably appear again you know....

As I am relatively new to the Forum I have n't seen a previous thread on this subject. Any chance of a link to it? I would be interested to read it.

You all saw him - he asked for it. Enjoy your reading, and get back to us sometime after dinner:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,21095.msg359811.html#msg359811

Magnetica

Thanks sauchie, knew I could rely on you.

It's 17 pages - I may be a while!

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 October, 2014, 10:08:31 AM
It's 17 pages - I may be a while!

And that's just one iteration of a hardy perennial.

While our furious fananism is truly great fun and gives all manner of pudgy follicularly-challenged types an intellectual workout and a purpose in life, albeit briefly (and, joking aside, ZA and Mimi's mapping project is astonishing), the long and the short of it is: the numbers for MC-1 have never made any sense in real-world terms, ever.  But then nor does almost any other element of the strip.  As shorthand for 'rilly, rilly big future city', it worked fine, and we're still working on what the new 'quite big city in the middle of a graveyard' means.

Fungus

Nice bunch of strips since the much-needed prog 1900.

Dredd  Looking forward to the unravelling of Gramercy Heights, could well be next episode :)  Carlos makes things nice and clear when it could easily get confusing. And the colouring is exceptional, don't think any other style has worked as well as this for Carlos.

Stickleback  Star of the prog, right down to the colloquialisms throughout. Perfect.

Greysuit  New to me, liked it. Great to see Higgins again, and very reminiscent of Buttonman in story and feel. Lots of photoshopped background, felt quite experimental. Undecided on that aspect, will see if it continues throughout...

Ichabod Azrael Another new one, a close second to Stickleback for me. Lovely atmospheric art, but most of all a stunning script. It's rare a strip's prose goes to these lengths (Rennie recently and Stickleback are other fine examples), it's taking longer than usual to read the prog and for all the right reasons. Page 1 was something special: "Zoe returned to the nothing that precedes invention...". Were the previous series of Ichabod as good as this?

Kingdom  ... and because nothing is perfect, I can't get along with this. First page felt like a Marvel crossover splash page, hm. They're battling giant insects, with a Hulk'ing great lead character. Well drawn, mind.

Pop Culture Bandit

Here's our review of Prog 1901 - a great successor to last week's "jumping on" point.

http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2014/10/2000ad-prog-1901.html