Main Menu

Prog 1919 - How the Mighty Has Risen...

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 21 February, 2015, 11:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I've enjoyed Dark Justice so far.  It's not up there with Death's first solo outing but I think the Outer Space thing stops it from being a rerun of that particular story.  Couple of shaky bits, for sure - Dredd's 'corn mash' comment being one of them - but all in all it's been a pretty fresh take on the DJs. 
So yeah, not an all-time classic but an enjoyable horror yarn nevertheless.

I'm always waiting for Mortis, though, to come to the forefront again. His pursuit of the cadets in Necropolis was terrifying, and I find him a far more scary character than any of the other Dark Judges, including Death. (Apart from Judges Sleep and Burroughs of course. )
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 February, 2015, 11:17:16 AM
I'm always waiting for Mortis, though, to come to the forefront again.

I sort-of hoped that was going to happen during Day of Chaos - in the absence of Death, I started to think Mortis might take charge - but it was not to be.

TordelBack

I doubt there's room for it now, but Death congratulating Dredd on bringing so many citizens to jusssticcce due to his inciting of, and failure to avert, Chaos Day would be nice. Something about continuing the good work stated in Necropolis, and maybe there's a place for Dredd in their ranks if he fancies a change... That's bound to sting.

Bad City Blue

Dark Justice is fun, made more so by the stunning artwork.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Survival Geeks this time round, it's fun and funny.

the 3riller is okay, but not the best nor the worst.

Savage is pretty good this run.

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Frank

Reader Stephen Reid of Arizona USA points out that Darren Douglas's incredible artwork for Eddie Robson's Tharg's 3riller (Station To Station) has no black-ruled panel borders. NO BORDERS, get it, YEAH? My name's Russell Brand and this is The Trews, subscribe here (points to bottom of screen)

TordelBack

Arf!  Very impressed with Douglas' art on the Threeler - not easy for everything to be so clear with a painterly style like that. Felt there was a bit too much chat this week for such a short tale, including the same piece of info about the trains not running being delivered twice, but I like its Dr Whovish plot and the art definitely lifts the whole thing.

Savage has become a really fun romp, and this toying with our expectations of Quartz's imminent smushing is great, and Survival Geeks is similarly entertaining - even if it needs to work a wee bit harder to not be Bec and Kawl.  Both have predictably terrific art.  I sometimes feel Goddard doesn't get the praise he deserves for his wonderfully consistent characters and convincingly-drawn large-scale scenes of contemporary London.

The Order continues to steal the show for me, even while going up the main attraction of Dark Justice - I've taken to keeping it until last so that I can revel in it at my leisure.  Okay, so maybe we've been in the same underground setting for a bit too long now, but other than that it's flawlessly done, continually throwing out world-building developments large and small and steadily creating memorable characters.  Enormously confident work from Kek-W, and something Burns is clearly enjoying drawing: I fervently hope this energy can be sustained and continued into subsequent outings.  Doubly amusing to see a regular flood of guns and tech introduced into this medieval milieu, even as Wagner works tirelessly to siphon off the very same things from his 22nd Century...

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 February, 2015, 08:50:41 PM
I feel that this week that Dark Justice continues its upward trajectory now that all the mechanical assembling of the ring firmly over...  Sometimes a painfully contrived setup can be justified by a great payoff, and this beautifully rendered wholly uninterrupted rumble is that time.

Yes - there's a lot of cheese and groaning at the start of this tale but I am really enjoying this unashamed physical throwdown.   (THough even Dredd looks completely naff in that little buggy)

The rest of the prog is working very much for me.   

Thank you Tharg and all your droids for 38 years of thrill power.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fungus

A really nice cover, Tharg posturing daftly on an anniversary cover is just the thing.

Prog however, did nothing for me, even The usually enjoyable Order. Dredd is certainly pretty, but it's straying into Bond punning. Which is what this DJ tale was supposed to dispense with? Preferred the earlier masterful preamble, focussing on the Mayflower in fact.

Could be damaged thrill-circuits on my part. Just read the first Stickleback trade and it's damn near perfect. I may be ruined for other thrills for a bit  :o

A.Cow

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 February, 2015, 12:43:34 PM
(Though even Dredd looks completely naff in that little buggy)

Yup -- taking the Silent Running homage a little too far.

Spikes

Quote from: A.Cow on 02 March, 2015, 12:46:25 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 February, 2015, 12:43:34 PM
(Though even Dredd looks completely naff in that little buggy)

Yup -- taking the Silent Running homage a little too far.

Or given the comedy widescreen, the Banana Splits maybe? ;)

Anyways a belated Happy 38th anniversary Tharg!

Dredd, and Dark Justice - Not a bad episode, if you discount the 'corn mash!' pages. But still, not working for me overall.
The rest are fine and good solid reads.
Survival geeks is a good romp. Station to Station part 2 is again aces.
And once again, Savage and The Order are fantastic. Great, great art on both. Though the art elsewhere isn't exactly poor. Far from it.

A good 'n' solid prog. Weakened only by Dark Justice, im afraid.