Main Menu

RESULTS -The Galaxy’s Greatest Top 20 Series - Tournament

Started by broodblik, 03 August, 2020, 03:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 05 August, 2020, 08:58:52 AM
I'm willing to accept that post-Secret Commonwealth, the series gets back on its feet, but I couldn't get on with Langley's art.

Yeah I think I found that my biggest barrier. As I've said elsewhere I love Langley (with Mills funnily enough) on ABC Warriors but on Slaine not so much.

I think its more than that though until the Brutania Chronicles recently I don't think it had anything new to say (say the chap who loves Sinister Dexter so ya know...) it was just there and sometimes I felt badly scripted. But rather than focus on that I should just be happy that clearly for so many folks its still a great thing and as ever with 2000ad viva la difference

Magnetica

Before the start I also expected Strontium Dog to be the landslide winner.

As for Slaine, I voted for it based on its highs and ignored the lows. As I did for other series. It remains, alongside Nemesis, Dredd, Stront and ABC Warriors, the series that made the biggest impact on me.

Personally I prefer the Glenn Fabry black and white era to the Horned God.

For me Nemesis also has tremendous high points, perhaps the highest ever in the Prog. But for me the later series weren't as good. (But as I say I'm ignoring that).

For overall sustained quality I can't see beyond Stront and its by what I am assuming are the two most beloved creators. Given that, it's a surprise it's not top. (I guess a different points system could also have resulted in that i.e. giving even more weight to first places).

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 August, 2020, 12:31:03 PM
For overall sustained quality I can't see beyond Stront and its by what I am assuming are the two most beloved creators. Given that, it's a surprise it's not top. (I guess a different points system could also have resulted in that i.e. giving even more weight to first places).

Yes, it is quite difficult to find a balanced point system where higher ranking numbers get a bigger potion of the points.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

Looking back at the points for each first and second place vote, there's not a massive difference, so I'm guessing that Nemesis picked up a lot of 4-10th place rankings compared to Alpha and that carried the day.

I also voted focussing on the high points for various series. The good parts were usually very good indeed!

Thanks for running this. Fascinating stuff!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

broodblik

What counted in Nemesis favor was the total number two votes it received.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Yeah stirling job as ever Broodblik. BIG thanks for all the effort that's gone into this and the other tournaments you've run.

In contrast with others I tended to balance the rough with the smooth. So Strontium Dog is a great example. There are times when its been as good as anything that's ever been in the Prog - Rage and Portrait of... amongst others. There are also times when it just doesn't hit those highs, never bad by any stretch I should note, but I marked it considerably down on that basis though.

Similarly I think Nemesis, even at its lowest was pretty amazing and at its highest up with Rage, Incident Mayjer Minor etc. Maybe...maaayyybbeee a little ahead. Simiarly Dante - which got my top spot, has highs as high as any other thrill ever has and its lows are pretty damned high as well and of the three, for me, is by far the most consistently mindblowingly good. It also has the advantage of just getting better and better as it went on.

Magnetica

Just out of interest Colin, which Strontium Dog stories do you put in the "less good" category?

Colin YNWA

Oh gosh not wishing to attach slings and arrows I'm not big fan* of The Bitch, Max Bubba (which I always want to call Ragnarok) nor Outlaw. Just to select a few of the longer more 'obvious' choices.

*Again these things are relative they are all decent, just I think Strontium Dog can have a tendancy to over run an idea.

broodblik

I share your sentiment around Nikolai Dante, for me personally this is the greatest series ever to grace the pages of the prog. What makes this such a great series is that we have a lovable self-centered character that grows into something much bigger than himself. Great supporting cast. A love story. A story of war and remembrance. Lastly is that we have two great villains in the story.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 05 August, 2020, 03:22:57 PM
What counted in Nemesis favor was the total number two votes it received.

If you want number two's picking up then Ro-Jaws is your droid!

DrJomster

Ba dum TISH!

Fascinating results indeed. Nemesis is certainly iconic and did well to beat a tough crowd!

I was a bit surprised at Robohunter (Sam) being a bit lower than I expected though. Yup.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Colin YNWA

I'm just re-reading Low Life ' Creation' why is this thrill at 68? ...maybe cos idiots like me couldn't find it a slot!

maryanddavid

Wow, missed voting (I think!). Nemesis is great, but top, what do I know!

Stront way out on front for me.

These comps are great guys, thanks for organising!