Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Purgatory vs. Mind of Wolfie Smith Round 2 Heat 65

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 March, 2022, 06:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southstreeter

I vaguely recall liking Wolfie Smith, but that was 40 years ago and I haven't come across it since. Any reprints ever? Purgatory had great art and was quite enjoyable nonsense.
So based on what I can actually remember it's Purgatory.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Rogue Judge

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 14 March, 2022, 08:00:22 AM
Purgatory - it was way over the top but it was Carlos and does have a sort of manic glee to it.

For the same reasons, Purgatory.

sheridan

Despite using the same cliffhanger for three progs running, The Mind of Wolfie Smith - if we were going to abstain from voting against anything from King Carlos then Rick Random would be getting in there at some point...

JayzusB.Christ

I don't remember Wolfie Smith, but I just can't vote for Purgatory.  I didn't mind it at the time but it was just too clichéd and silly. 

As for the hand in the molten slag scene, well, just no.  I worked in a foundry, and I can confirm that Grice wouldn't have a trace of hand left after it, and most of his arm would most likely be literally vapourised too.  I won't even start on the scene where Khurtz falls in and climbs out again.

I'll abstain.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

It's as if Mark Millar didn't do any research before banging out his script. (Well, except for maybe watching most of Stallone's 'Lock Up')

Magnetica

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 March, 2022, 03:06:17 PM
I don't remember Wolfie Smith, but I just can't vote for Purgatory.  I didn't mind it at the time but it was just too clichéd and silly. 

As for the hand in the molten slag scene, well, just no.  I worked in a foundry, and I can confirm that Grice wouldn't have a trace of hand left after it, and most of his arm would most likely be literally vapourised too.  I won't even start on the scene where Khurtz falls in and climbs out again.

I'll abstain.

Well you have remembered far more details about Purgatory than I do. Mainly what I remember about it is how it made me feel.

Colin YNWA

Now don't make Mind of Wolfie Smith angry here, I think its going the way of his name sake, but scanning through its not a done deal and final day vote might swing this. We'll find out together tomorrow.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well if was a done deal. I'm not sure what it is about doing a quick scan of these things that make them seem closer than they are but this one wasn't. Phew. The one thing you can say about the story Purgatory (aside from lush Carlos art) is that its not as bad as Inferno which follows. Wolfie Smith is old school comics fun. A link to the past and well worth its votes. So

Mind of Wolfie Smith

Will be used to steel you votes as well as your chips in Round 3.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 14 March, 2022, 12:17:43 PM
my powers have waned

Nevertheless, your wish was granted once more!

For what it's worth, I would have voted for Purgatory - as a connoisseur of mean-spirited Millar and classic era Ezquerra.