Main Menu

Hivemind query: Name that story

Started by Dash Decent, 11 August, 2023, 03:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Posted on Reddit:

Years ago I read this story online that featured a game show where the winner is whoever is more polite. The two contestants go back and forth, insisting that the other eat the last crumpet. An audience member can't take it anymore and starts attacking people at the show.The art is all in color so it is not a very old story.

I have been looking for what issue this story was published in for years. It could be 2000 AD, Judge Dredd Megazine. or maybe an annual or special or even a different publisher. Google gives me nothing. ChatGPT told me the story was called "The Last Word" but the issue(s) it told me it was in were wrong and as far I can tell, a story with that title doesn't even exist.

Please, if anyone knows where I can find this, I would appreciate it so much. That story is what eventually led me to becoming a Dredd fan and 2000 AD subscriber, and I don't even know how else to move forward with trying to find it. I just want to find wherever this is in so I can read it again and have it in my collection.

Any ideas?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

O Lucky Stevie!

That would be Rehab by Al Ewing with art by Karl Richardson (progs 1644 - 1648).
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

A.Cow

Quote from: Dash Decent on 11 August, 2023, 03:40:18 PMThe two contestants go back and forth, insisting that the other eat the last crumpet.

It wasn't a crumpet they were talking about; it was a scone.  And I nearly wet myself when the aggrieved audience member then shouted, "I can't take any more! It's pronounced 'scone', dammit!"  Great stuff.

Dash Decent

Brilliant, thanks gents. I shall pass it on.

How about this one?

"I'm hoping someone with a collection can help me out! A friend of mine vividly remembers reading a judge dredd comic as a child and specifically saw a two spread image of (his words) "a man on a train exploding into disks and slicing everyone up" If someone is able to help me find the image or let me know what specific comic it was in I'd be super grateful"
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

O Lucky Stevie!

That was a definitely a Shimura story drawn by Andy Clarke.

Which would make it either Executioner (Meg 224 - 226) or Deus X (Meg 228 - 230).

If anyone is near their Megs could they confirm which one it is please? Ta.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Richard

Deus X, first episode, Megazine 228. And very impressive it looks too!

Richard

O Lucky Stevie!

Thanks Richard. That opening scene really lingers in the mind, doesn't it?