Main Menu

So now we know..

Started by Thread Zero, 07 February, 2002, 05:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

New series I commissioned included
A Love Like Blood, Carver Hale, Storming Heaven, Banzai Battalion,
Shakara, 13, Atavar, and Asylum.

That was Andy Diggle, former editor of 2k, exact words I pasted from the alt.comics.2000Ad newsgroup.

I don't want to comment further on Andy's tenure as editor as I made my views perfectly clear at the time on that board! I still have the scars! But it's interesting to know the facts. So at the moment we are still in the Diggle phase of 2k.

scojo

paulvonscott

Ah Scojo, Satans sump stirrer...  

I was just trying to work out when this phase going to end too.  It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Well, out of those I've read sections from the following:
A Love Like Blood, Carver Hale, Storming Heaven, Banzai Battalion, Shakara

Well out of them there's nothing that set me on fire (was Banzai Batallion the little robots? I liked them) but they did to me seem to have set a standard higher than 2000AD had seen for while and all of them were an attempt to do something different with 2000AD.  I imagine commissioning a series is like making a film, you aren't entirely sure what it's going to be like till it's done.  Then it's too late.

He's gone, isn't that enough for you Scojo!  Oh well, I hope the current editors paying attention, in another few weeks it'll be your turn to face the wrath of Scojolicus!

Thread Zero

I sent Andy one of my scripts you know.
He tells me he now has a lifetime of toilet paper...

I have mixed feelings about Andy as editor. I think I preferred Dave Bishop. Kiwi lamb is so much better than are mad cow variety.

But seriously, I loathed Carver Hale with an irrational passion. One of my top five worst 2k stories ever was that. Nice art though. Bleedin nice art eh guv!

Love Like Blood seemed too rushed for my liking. Too little build up then over too quick. Like two virgins on their wedding night. Had potential for a multi book saga.

What else?
Shakara. Seems completely devoid of characterization. Makes the man with no name (from Sergei Leone western films) seem complex!

Storming Heaven I rather like. But it does seem to have little characterization or plot build up like Love Like Blood.

Banzai Batallion. Sorry I didn't like this. Too childish even for me. I think my script that I posted here, which had Dredd coming to the rescue and driving over them on his lawmaster bike, would have been much funnier.
Oh well.

As for the new stories, who knows?

Having said all that, I still enjoyed the comic while Andy was editor! Cos I love 2k!

Hey I'm a hypocrite and proud of it!

scojo the hippo now on tour at London zoo

Anemic_Newt

few thoughts - didn't like any of those stories. Not as bad as some of the older rubbish like new Sam Slade or Big Dave, but still didn't like them.

I could see potential in some of the strips but most seemed rushed and finished before any characterisation took place - unlike Shakara where I am now doubting whether there is any story at all.

Storming Heaven - again the jury is still out and I don't want to repeat what others have said but I just don't care who any of the characters in this story are or what happens to them. As a teacher - when teaching kids how to write fictional stories one of the key things they are taught is to develop characterisation!
[Flame shield on] I teach 11-16 yr old kids who can create better characterisation in their short stories than many current 2k efforts
[flame shield off]
After the latest issue I found it even worse as a story than the dire Bad Company ending. The art is nice but its not enough to deliver the story.

Love Like Blood - rushed - also lost impact with so many vampire stories appearing in 2k at the time - Carver Hale, Durham Red.

Banzai Battalion - ok. A bit childish and if its aim was to try to pick up younger readers perhaps its first issue could have been chosen for a special launch issue with lots of publicity?

The ones that havn't started yet - well We were promised great things with Shakara, and Storming Heaven and the delivery has been about as good as the post office (Watchdog anyone?)That is good in part but otherwise not.

I'm still a fan - I still enjoy reading some of the stories but how long I can go on with high expectations only to discover its like fools gold - all shiny but no quality - I'm not sure.

I will stand up and say I LIKED HELTER-SKELTER, a lot!
However I was disappointed it was over so quick.

Howver at the end of a long post - I don't really care who commissioned these stories, or who is currently sitting in the top offices. What I want is good quality characters...
Any news on whether Scojo's "Sperman", PVS's classic 2k character have been adopted yet. Apparently " " has been rejected because the story went on too long!

Anemic_Newt - going to rest my fingers

Anemic_Newt

[Flame shield On]
[spiky thorns aura activated]
well maybe not "many recent 2k efforts" but certainly better than some.
This from a school where 70% of the intake have reading scores well below national average - 11yr olds with reading ages of 6 yr olds if that, and the school went in to special measures before I arrived there because of poor results especially poor literacy!
[spiky thorns aura off]
[Flame shield off]

Thread Zero

Well the only thing is we can sometimes be too critical here. It's kind of fun to be horrible!:O)

Oopps I didn't say that.

scojo

Anemic_Newt

Me be horrible....

I'm a teacher, it's my job!

Jim_Campbell

> Shakara. Seems completely devoid of
> characterization. Makes the man with no
> name (from Sergei Leone western films)
> seem complex!

Disrespect the Man With No Name trilogy at your peril. Kurosawa swipes notwithstanding, they are fine, fine pieces of film making and I'll fight any man (woman or mutant) that says different.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.