Main Menu

Billoy the Cat

Started by starscape, 10 October, 2003, 01:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

CraveNoir

I'm pretty sure Black Bob was in the Dandy.

I picked up a copy of the Beano this morning, and
I only vaguely recalled Billy the Cat from 1970s annuals as the strip is before my time, but the new strip seems much more simplistic in its storytelling than the serials that were around when I were a lad.

Other than reprints, artists in annuals are often different from the comic regulars. I don't know why that should be.

While we're all down memory lane, can anyone tell me the names of the two alien twins who appeared in the Topper during the 60s and 70s? They had a hover car, red jump-suits, and black and blonde bowl haircuts.

Trout

No, but they sound great!

- Trout

paulvonscott

No Dave I thought you put it pretty well.  

I had a look at it this afternoon (after handing in Solar Wind to print!), and okay, it's a very basic story that isn't particularly original (but considering the target audiece, I doubt they'll be as critical as I am) and the art's nice though, thankfully modern.  As you said it is a very interesting move, having an adventure comic appear in the Beano.

My first impression was, as Chris says, a testing of the waters to see if adventure comics could sell.  I mean, the Beano is fine, it sells anyway, but if this works, then maybe we will have the Wizard or whatever comic.

Anyway, I think we have the potential for something intersting on a lot of fronts with comics in the UK, whether that potential will be capitalised on or not, well, time will tell.

Oh and the Leopard of Lime Street would make mince meat out of Billy the Cat!

petemaskreplica

"two alien twins"

Was that Bleep and Booster?

CraveNoir

I googled http://www.toonhound.com/bleepboost.htm"> Bleep and Booster and it seems it was an animated series that turned up on Blue Peter.

Here's the only picture I've been able to find of the ones I'm talking about.http://www.pote.claranet.co.uk/2k/TOPPER_1979.jpg">

starscape

That's the Wizzers From Oz.  I think I might actually have that Annual for sale, nevertheless, they also feature in some Classics From The Comics that I have at the Superhero Store (hope you don't mind the plug just trying to be helpful).

Chris
www.superherostore.co.uk

Link: Superherostore & Starscape

CraveNoir

That sounds more like it.

A few months ago I caught an episode of Futurama featuring 'Brain Balls'.

"They?ve got a lot of brains, and they've got a lot of chutzpah."

An almost identical alien menace appeared in the Wizzers from Oz strip causing them to reappear in my consciousness.

Thanks for the help.

Trout

Hey, I remember them!

I think I even had that book.

- Trout

Mudcrab

I see the future, I see masses of Beano/Dandy/Whizzer n Chips threads culminating in a probing series of articles in the Megazine abuot the rise and fall of funny comics in the 70's and 80's.

How 'bout an Extreme Edition of Oor Wullie!!

LOL!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Oddboy

Yesterday I did the proper & scabby thing of reading Billy the Cat in the shop.

It was alright, but still very 'Beano' - something I grew to dispise by the time I stopped reading it - and I'm not going to take up the Beano again.  Maybe when I've got kids I'll get it for them (& read it).
Better set your phaser to stun.

damnandblast

"How 'bout an Extreme Edition of Oor Wullie!!"

'Cos soft Southern b*st*rds like me can't understand a word he's saying!   :)

Nigel

The Monarch

oor willy ah what memories and the broons too