Main Menu

Captain Britain & Cal-Hab

Started by Marbles, 09 April, 2004, 04:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Floyd-the-k

interesting Marbles.
  I never read Capt Britain. Was he any good?  I remember Capt America meeting an aging character called Union Jack ( a retired WW1 superhero).
  Are 2000 AD fans really such big fans of the Brit Cit Judges?  

stront692

captain britain was cool
the moore stuff is best but his own 14 issue series was really good as well bcos it attempted to feature a whole universe of characters with a similar theme

(a fore runner to the dredd megazine maybe, admittedly some were only loosely related and a lot were rejects from dr who weekly but i liked teh monthly more)

i think the reason why marvel uk cancelled was bcos the creators wanted more money and marvel usa could see teh money to be made (excalibur was pitched u see, with captain britain used to sell it)

not certain on the inner politics of marvel uk though??

McNulty

I was drawn to this thread...

I can't speak for the rest of my countrypeople, but speaking as someone who is actively engaged in writing a story featuring Cal-Hab Judges, I have to say that I loved the idea of Scottish Judges. The lion on the shoulder of a Cal-Hab Judge means something quite different than the one on his/her Brit-Cit counterpart. I think that it is fair comment to say that people like stories that are centred on their own lands, if they are done well and do not become overly stereotypical, which is something that might happen in 2000AD from time to time.

Link: http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~rjamieson/Cal-Hab/index.html" target="_blank">The A-Z of Cal-Hab

Trout

On the difference between Brit Cit and Cal Hab judges, I was always - as an insular Scot :-) -glad a distinction was drawn.

I don't suppose it's very surprising, given the heavy McInfluence on 2000AD.

Sadly, I felt Cal Hab Justice didn't really come up to scratch, especially set against the barrage of other types of judge that appeared in the Meg.
The ending, in particular, was poor, but I understand it was an editorial decision to end the strip suddenly.

However, I always liked the design of the Scots judges, and felt there was more potential in stories about the area - preferably without telekenetic genetically modified judges as plot devices. Blech.

My highlights of Scottishness in Dredd's world include Kenny Who?, and Mean's butting competition with the heidbangers.

Oh, and I agree. Moore's Captain Britain is amazing stuff.

I strongly recommend the GN to anyone shopping for comics over the Easter weekend.

- Trout

Mikey

At least there has been a serious attempt to flesh out Cal Hab.
Emerald Isle?Stereotype?Bah!

Where's the Cymric Judges?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JimBob

No more international judges please. Why would the whole world have this system,why do we have to put up with Scottish/english/Irish/Japanese (actually I liked Shimura)/African/Antartican Dredd? I'ld be much more interested seeing the Judges interacting with a Democrocy, a dictatorship or a feudal monarchy than yet another photocopy of themselves.

Oh and Captain Britain rocks. And I enjoyed most of the Art on Cal-hab, so it's not a cross the board "these are crap" thing (although Brit CIt brute and the -shudder-Egyptian judges were a steaming pile)

Quirkafleeg

I want to see Migard Judges. With wings on their helmets.

philb

Captain Britain is set to return by Chris Claremont and Alan Davis in Uncanny X-Men...
And a certain villian from the Caps past....

Bolt-01

Alan Davis on Captain Britain again.... might have to get that.

Bolt-01

John Caliber

I'm writing an unofficial Norse Judge guidebook next year, set in and around Megaheim [their capital city]. It's going to be cooler than der cucumber! I'm also interested in exploring the other Euro-states in guidebook form.

I'm uploading Mex-Cit and a Texas City PDF citybooks later this year.

- John

Link: http://www.btinternet.com/~john.caliber" target="_blank">DROKK CITY

http://www.btinternet.com/~john.caliber/dclogo2000ad.gif">
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

JimBob

Megheim!? Sweet baby Jesus where will this madness stop? Megizhtan, Megran and Megraq? Megton Kenes?
 To misquote Zammo, Intrenational Judges? Just say no!