Main Menu

...but I just don't GET it...

Started by Bico, 20 August, 2004, 01:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Kon

i lead an isolated existace and this is my main contact to the outside world (scary isn't it) so i don't get most 'popular' things.

i also don't get cabs. sorry i don't. i'm young and dr who naive so don't see'get most of the references.

Slippery PD

I can relate to anyone disliking GOLF, its a definite waste of a good walk.  

Coming from a family of golfers (my father, Brother in law, Uncle and Cousin were/are club champs), my total hatred of the sport is looked at in some amusement...

Slips

Tweak72

on the golf front hey im with the "i dont get it" posse BUT i also cant get why there are at least 2 films about golf that are VERY GOOD (happy gilmore and cadishak spring to mind) how? i mean how?
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Oddboy

I don't get cabs either. But there's a good night bus service in London, cabs are just a waste of money.
Better set your phaser to stun.

rebelwivoutaclue

Formula 1.

Wots all that about? Every two weeks these overpaid johnny foreigners turn up on my tv and race round and round and round.

And the german wins........wots the point.

JayzusB.Christ

I don't get Coldplay and Travis (both turgid, lumpen, dreary shite), the Matrix (I know I'm on my own here, but I thought it was an unoriginal and uninteresting plot wrapped up in flashy effects), the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the Doors (except for that song off Apocalypse Now, a film that I get). And the Shawshank Redemption - It wasn't THAT good. And that very recent thing in 2000ad with the Ebola virus on earth and the psycho captain in space. Well, that's my rant done, thanks
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Endjinn

The end of Apocalypse Now. Marlon Brando, you have entered your own rectum.

So Solid Crew.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - it has girls, kung fu and the undead - three things I love. Therefore it should be awesome....but it's just shite!

Conexus

Fawlty Towers. What's funny about it ?, no really. People shouting, hitting each other and running aroung. How is that funny ? I just don't get it at all.

Conexus

In a reversal to the thread, sortta, I don't get why Futurama wasn't more popular, while the Simpsons which is just getting drossier still pulls in all the punters.

Endjinn

>"In a reversal to the thread, sortta, I don't get why Futurama wasn't more popular, while the Simpsons which is just getting drossier still pulls in all the punters."

Because many people are scared to spend less time on the old, slightly worn-out sofa than sit on the new, shiny, spankly sofa. It's a crime, I tells ye, a crime!

wrighty47

Bo Selecta
It just iasn't funny. Just some bloke in a daft prop swearing a lot

Big Brother
I just don't care about these nobodies

I'm A Celeb
Has been just stooping to the lowest level possible to rivive their careers

Star Wars
I mean the first is an okay family adventure film but to claim it the best film ever made is laughable. The sequels are all awful, and getting worse with each release

Alan!

Conexus

Bo Selecta
It just iasn't funny. Just some bloke in a daft prop swearing a lot

couldn't agree more. Impressions are funny if the characature the victim well, sounding and or looking like victim helps as well. c.f Alistar(sp) McGowan, Dead Ringers, Bremner sometimes.
If however (as Bo Shitecta, the impressionist looks,and sounds nothing like the victim, and doesn't act even vaguely like a characture of them , it ain't funny)

The only one that comes close from what little I've seen is the ozzy impression, but then anybody can do an Ozzy impression - he's the modern Michael Crawford- and he is done far better in Dead Ringers anyway.    

The Amstor Computer

This amused me:

"Impressions are funny if the characature the victim well, sounding and or looking like victim helps as well. c.f Alistar(sp) McGowan, Dead Ringers"

Have you ever actually watched McGowan or Dead Ringers? Some of the impressions are fairly good, but most are average & several are appallingly bad - and Culshaw is horribly over-rated.

Where these shows differ from Bo' Selecta is that they set out to do relatively accurate impersonations of popular figures, and the humour is supposed to come from the quality of the impression. The laughs in BS come from the distance between the real person & the impersonation - the Michael Jackson routine is funny *because* it's nothing like him.

I'm not trying to make a case for Bo' Selecta being great comedy, just trying to show that there's no point in judging it in the same way you'd judge Bremner or McGowan.

Bico

And McGowan is about as funny as third-world poverty.  His Ozzy impression is absolutely spot-on, but if it was in any way whatsoever actually FUNNY, McGowan would be minted.

Bico

Charmed.

Jeeeeeesus tapdancing CHRIST!
How any grown adult can sit and watch this charmless, inane, badly-written, stinking pile of shite is beyond my comprehension.  I watched about five minutes of it tonight through no fault of my own, and if those five minutes had happened in an episode of Power Rangers, I'd have cringed.  That they were in a show written, performed and aimed at adults is a damning indictment to humanity as a whole, and possibly gives creedence to the fundamentalist Islamic aim of the destruction of western civilisation, except even a dirty nuke would fail to wipe out the writers and producers of this show - they'd live on, feasting on the carcasses of the dead like all the other cockroaches.