Main Menu

new music recommendations, please!

Started by Tu-plang, 16 October, 2004, 10:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Latest Kasabian album 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' is pretty good.

Some good tracks on 'The Wombats Proudly Present: A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation' which I got into thanks to The Inbetweeners.

SuperSurfer

While working really late last week was playing tons of Dead Kennedys:
'Plastic Surgery Disasters', 'In God We Trust, Inc' and 'Bedtime for Democracy'.

Haven't had much work on at all in last months, but you know how it is, feast or famine. After two weeks of late ones, last Wed I did 16 hours and 12 hours on Thurs. Once I finished I got ill with a kind of one day flu type thing. Was feverish all night with all those Dead Kennedys tracks playing in my mind. Not nice on top of a fever. Makes me think though, maybe I shouldn't have done a DKs and said 'Take This Job and Shove It' to my ex-boss last year (well, I was polite about it but same result).

LARF

Yeah agree with the new Kasabian Album, kicks arse!

Colin YNWA

Not a new band by any stretch of the imagine but untapped by many people EVERYONE should check out Deerhoof. The best live band around and they have some brilant albums out there. The lastest of which Offend Maggie is a fine effort, though Runners Four is probably their best?

Toni Scandella

I enjoy a bit of Rico, but he's not as good as Numan is these days - Jagged and Pure were great little albums and it's interesting to see him trying new sounds though it has to be said he doesn't always quite pull off the heavy industrial tinged sound but generally comes up with something that sounds unique - just don't expect him to sound anything like he used to, at all.  Maybe he should be old enough to know better, but, yeah.  Jagged was ace.

Tricky is god-like, but hasn't really followed up Blowback with anything quite as strong.  Rammstein are fun in a stompy germanic sort of a way, but i'd stick with the first couple of albums.  KMFDM are always good value... but none of these really qualify as new, do they?

New-ish, then - Kimya Dawson does lo-fi like you would not believe and her stuff is always sweet, off the wall, hippy/punk/folk with wobbly vocals and extremely low production values but there is just something about some of her songs that can hit an emotional nerve that's quite surprising.  very odd and not to most people's taste but worth trying.  Her band with Adam Green, (Moldy Peaches) did demented, poorly played, badly sung lo-fi genius, and their 2001 album is a great deal of fun. I'm addicted to most of it, but where it's unlistenable it's completely unlistenable.  I have very strange musical tastes.  In a similar genre, but actually able to play his guitar, is Jeffrey Lewis.  I only really like his album of folk-style covers of Crass songs, but then I like Crass as well - just strange to be able to actually hear the lyrics.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Toni Scandella"Rammstein are fun in a stompy germanic sort of a way, but i'd stick with the first couple of albums.

Nonsense. Reise Reise is a superb album. Wagnerian metal ... I'm amazed no-one thought of it before, to be honest. Plus, how many records are you going to buy that have an accordian solo?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: "Toni Scandella"New-ish, then - Kimya Dawson does lo-fi like you would not believe and her stuff is always sweet, off the wall, hippy/punk/folk with wobbly vocals and extremely low production values but there is just something about some of her songs that can hit an emotional nerve that's quite surprising.  very odd and not to most people's taste but worth trying.  Her band with Adam Green, (Moldy Peaches) did demented, poorly played, badly sung lo-fi genius, and their 2001 album is a great deal of fun. I'm addicted to most of it, but where it's unlistenable it's completely unlistenable.  I have very strange musical tastes.  In a similar genre, but actually able to play his guitar, is Jeffrey Lewis.  I only really like his album of folk-style covers of Crass songs, but then I like Crass as well - just strange to be able to actually hear the lyrics.

I second all of this. Jeffrey Lewis in particular is an absolute dude to see live - he tends to do amusing slide shows and musical films and stuff.

My big thing is, now and forever, Clem Snide and the solo albums by their frontman Eef Barzelay. Slowed-down alt-country goodness.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

House of Usher

Quote from: "House of Usher"'Parafin Nightmares' by Pendulum
Oh bum. Propane Nightmares, I mean. See? I do my own proofreading and corrections, me!
STRIKE !!!

Tanky

Quotehow many records are you going to buy that have an accordian solo?

I see your Rammstein sir, and raise you the mighty Alestorm, who i love dearly  :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw

Albion

Alestorm are fun.

I've recently been enjoying Crippled Black Pheonix (if you like Pink Flotd you'll love 'em) and Porcupine Tree's Fear of a blank planet.

The new albums from Clutch and Skyclad are great.

My most listened to album of the last couple of years has to be Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Butchers Ballroom. A great mix of metal, opera, folk, flamenco and more and it works!
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

House of Usher

Rammstein make fantastic pop music and are a real treat live. Reise, Reise is a great album: a 'listener' (i.e. worth playing all the way through without skipping tracks); but my favourite track is 'Morgenstern'.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Not new at all unless you dont know their music but i wish to unreservedly recommend *anything* by Steely Dan.

Steely Dan - FM :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecX371mE ... annel_page

I dont know about anything new because i have kind of lost interest in new music and havent bought or heard anything that i can recommend.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "SamuelAWilkinson"I second all of this. Jeffrey Lewis in particular is an absolute dude to see live - he tends to do amusing slide shows and musical films and stuff.

My big thing is, now and forever, Clem Snide and the solo albums by their frontman Eef Barzelay. Slowed-down alt-country goodness.

I'll third the Jeffrey Lewis recommendation the man's a genius and great live. Today I bought what I thought was his new album which it turns out was released in March. I'm so not with the kids anymore!

Was it Clem Snide who did Blue's for Jesus Blue's (or something like that) if so that's a GREAT song.

Toni Scandella

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"
Quote from: "Toni Scandella"Rammstein are fun in a stompy germanic sort of a way, but i'd stick with the first couple of albums.

Nonsense. Reise Reise is a superb album. Wagnerian metal ... I'm amazed no-one thought of it before, to be honest. Plus, how many records are you going to buy that have an accordian solo?

Cheers

Jim

Have not heard that one - kind of let them pass my by a bit though enjoy dancing to them... but I shall check out Reise Reise now.