Main Menu

the complete collection.

Started by Valhalla, 20 November, 2004, 02:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valhalla

G'day,

Back when I first started reading 2000ad I had this Grande idea of "a complete collection" comprising all things 2000ad (2000ad, the meg, all the uk and u.s reprints, graphic novels etc)

A while back I abandoned this idea and decided that a complete collection is every story printed.

Coupla questons:-

What does everyone else regard as complete collection?

Was there anything original in the reprints?

If you where looking at a collection with all the stories printed what would it contain?

Cheers

Matthew.

Revelation 6:8

>What does everyone else regard as complete collection?

All Progs, Megs, Specials & Annuals.
Dont but Graphic Novels, books or audio plays, just couldnt afford it and as long as I've got the original issues and stories I'm happy.

Max Kon

I'd say all progs & spinoffs apart from the GNs and EEs

Smiley

Was there anything original in the reprints?

AFAICR there were the first two A.B.C. Warriors Titan books which had an original Ro-Buster's strip to book-end the story. Art-wise, Titan's Cursed Earth Part 1 book had some original Bolland pics as bridging material (that's aside from the usual covers and frontispieces.)

decided that a complete collection is every story printed

Yeah, I'd swing with that. If you've got all the stories from a particular prog scattered about in various reprints then fair enough. So long as you've got the stories to read and enjoy then it doesn't matter. I mean, who wants two of everything?*

(*Insert punchline here)

Wake

My view of a complete collection:

Original stories
2000AD Progs, Specials and Annuals
Megazines, Judge Dredd Specials and Annuals
Starlord comics, specials and annuals
Tornado comics, specials and annuals
Dan Dare annuals 1978-79
Diceman
Poster Progs
Audio Dramas
Novels and non-fiction books
Lawman of the Future (and special)
DC Judge Dredd and Legends of the Law
Crossovers

Reprints
Best of 2000AD (and special editions) and 2000AD Classic
Judge Dredd Law in Order, Classic Judge Dredd (and special editions)
Extreme Editions

There are too many graphic novels and US Reprints to collect them all, but I have managed to collect all the Titan and Hamlyn/Mandarin graphic novels published before 2000 I think. The Titan ABC Warriors books 1 & 2 (reprinted as the Meknificent Seven) have some original strip material in them.

Merchandise
Matchbox K2001 Raider Command
Board games (Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Block Mania, Mega Mania)
RPGs (I don't yet have all the D20 stuff)
Mega Heroes figures
Reaction figures (including variants)
Harrop statuettes
Loads more stuff.

I'm less interested in merchandise that is just a piece of art reprinted onto a mug, poster, key-ring, etc. Merchandise with original work involved is more worthy of collecting in my opinion

Wake

Link: Collector's Checklist

Leigh S

I'd also add Crisis to the list, not only because it was a 2000AD presents thingie, but also Finn crossed over

topshed

Were there ever any Crisis collections? I missed a few issues and would have liked to have got the complete New Statesmen story...

Guess you'd also want to have the Daily Star/Metro strips for completeness.

Byron Virgo

They collected The Complete New Statesmen, including the non-Jim Baikie issues, the text pieces, and the eiplogue (originally a taster for the never-produced second series) has been switched to a prologue (which actually works better).

The also collected the Garth Ennis stories Troubled Souls and For A Few Troubles More (with John McCrea) and True Faith (with Warren Pleece), later republished by Vertigo (as was Revolver's Rogan Gosh).

Grant Goggans

Most of Titan's collections had original art on the covers and occasionally the frontispieces.  I'd argue the four Robo-Hunter volumes are essential for that reason - Gibson's cover to book 3 in particular is magical!

Gibson also contributed new covers to Eagle Comics' 5-part Robo-Hunter miniseries.  And you've got all those beautiful Bolland covers for the first 34 issues of their Dredd series, along with a couple of McMahon pieces and a nice Dave Gibbons for the end of the Apocalypse War.

--Grant

Byron Virgo

The Gibson frontispieces for Robo-Hunter book 2 is excellent as well, and they are useful in general for giving some of the interior artists a chance to expand on some of the images presented in the strips contained in the books. There were memorable contributions from Mike McMahon (Chronicles of Judge Dredd 3), Carlos Ezquerra (Apocalypse War), Ron Smith (City of the Damned and Dave the Orangutan), and Joe Colqhoun (Charlie's War books 1+2), before Titan curtailed the practice and took to simply enlarging images from the strips themselves as frontispieces.

Max Kon

wasn't the New Statesmen a tv serial?

ARRISARRIS

...nobodies mentioned the series of phone card stories (2 series featuring Judge Death and Mean Machine ) or the 'Sleep of the Just' collectors card series (uncompleted) which i both concider as part of a full story collection...

Oddboy

Max - it was a *different* New Statesman.http://www.orangeneko.com/rik/pages/nsbook.jpg">
Better set your phaser to stun.