Main Menu

Ask Professor X about the future (and win a comic!)

Started by paulvonscott, 11 December, 2004, 11:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tordelbach

Oi! I was asking the Professor, not taking a poll!  You two sniffers keep out of this, it's a personal matter...

Byron Virgo

"Why do flammable and inflammable mean the same thing? (Side question to Bou)."

Simple answer is that they don't.

Flammable means it is highly combustable, inflammable means it's fire retardent.

Richmond Clements

I think you're wrong Byron, they do mean the same thing.

Byron Virgo

Richmond Clements

From dictionary.com

flamma?ble n.
Usage Note: Historically, flammable and inflammable mean the same thing. However, the presence of the prefix in- has misled many people into assuming that inflammable means ?not flammable? or ?noncombustible.? The prefix -in in inflammable is not, however, the Latin negative prefix -in, which is related to the English -un and appears in such words as indecent and inglorious. Rather, this -in is an intensive prefix derived from the Latin preposition in. This prefix also appears in the word enflame. But many people are not aware of this derivation, and for clarity's sake it is advisable to use only flammable to give warnings.

Tordelbach

"Rather, this -in is an intensive prefix derived from the Latin preposition in. This prefix also appears in the word enflame."

Well I never: a sensible answer, on this message board.  As David Brent might say, all pigs fully fueled and ready for take off.

Conexus

Well I never: a sensible answer

Pah! Sensible answers? Where's the fun in that?

Krustabi

crazy comic guy

Are u the bestest X ever? And if so who would be runners up?

Dudley

Will this column ever gets its answers from Professor XXX?  

She's hot!