Main Menu

Second City Blues?

Started by Dudley, 11 January, 2005, 03:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

"Well, the Birmingham portrayed in SCB bears only a tangental resemblance to the city I grew up in, but then again that's true of Birmingham in 2005"

Thats true enough, but then why bother to call something spaghetti junction and not either show it as it exists today, or show it as some huge extrapolated future version.  As it is, we get a version that look a bit like a modern day road, but not like THE modern day road.  Similarly, the Bullring is supposed to have suffered an Anthrax attack hundreds of years ago, so thats pretty much suggesting to me its referring to modern day problems...

And thats another thing about the strip - its set almost 300 years in the future, but it doesnt seem that far removed from today in attitudes and fashions - the gangster dad is amazed by the "digital babe".. something tells me that digital babes will be in history museums 300 years from now, not a wonder of modern science.  Yet you've also got loads of alien species living amongst the humans with no real change in society.  It just doesnt seem thought out, a rag tag of different ideas

Banners

It's probably a bit much to ask for accurate depictions of The Floozy in the Jacuzzi or Brindley Place, but it was very cool when Finn depicted very accurate renditions of Plymouth, where I was living at the time it appeared.

M@

Leigh S

And Skizz managed it brilliantly... if your not really going to try and capture the essence or exaggerate whats there, you may as well make up somewhere entirely fictitious