Main Menu

Good things to do.

Started by Valhalla, 28 January, 2005, 08:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valhalla

G'day,

In October my partner and I will be travelling overseas. We're doing 2 night in Singapore, 2 weeks in Egypt and 2 weeks in England.
The main reason for going to the UK is to see my family (I haven't been there since 97 and it's the first time I've travelled there without my parents.) However we want to do and see a few things while there.....not really sure what though!

We'll probably see a few historical attractions but we're interested in doing a few cultural things.

We're both into films, music and comics (well ok she isn't but I think I could convince her to go to something comic related)

I'm keen to know if you guys have been to any galleries, museums, exhibitions etc that are music film , comic or pop culture related and if it was any good.

I'm wondering is dredd con usually in october?

Oh and Devon's Daddy adn TankGirl what would you recommend to do and see in Singapore. We've only got 2 days there so I want to plan ahead so not to waste time.

Thanks Guys.

Valhalla

Dan Kelly

My recommendation for Singapore would be to do the Night Safari at the Zoo.  And if you are feeling really touristy go to Sentosa.

And eat lots of different, cheap, delicious, food in a hawker market.  Oh and Sugar Cane juice.

Dan.

WoD

When in the UK come to Wales...it's a beautiful place and we're all short so you'll look impressive stood next to us which has to be a good thing when you're with your girlfriend.

Richmond Clements

October... there's always Dreddcon!

Max Kon

Bolt-01

I'm sure DD will be along soon to offer to buy you a drink. As for the UK. You might have timed it just nice for Dreddcon.

Fingers crossed.

Bolt-01

Devons Daddy

your in singapore?

My recommendation for Singapore would be to do the Night Safari at the Zoo. And if you are feeling really touristy go to Sentosa
And eat lots of different, cheap, delicious, food in a hawker market. Oh and Sugar Cane juice.

all of that i would second.i took tank grrl to the night safari.

if you want a giude im serious on the offer of being one for you.i do it now and then for the not so rich and famous who know my parents.

it is always my pleasure to show around a fellow squaxx :~)
the cost, a tiger beer or 1 stubbie of VB.

though honestly i offer my services if am able to be off on your dates. ,but will be more then happy to send you a list of suggestions for your stay.

it would be my pleasure.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

BTW
done egypt as well, bloody hell thats a mind boggling experience,get up early watch the sun rise over the pyramids.

then hire a camel. you know it makes sense.be a tourist. worth every single minute of it.

that is going to be one superb holiday going by your destinations.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Dan Kelly

>your in singapore?

DD, I think that was aimed at me...

Nah not in Singapore, but my Cousin lives out there, so have been over a couple of times, the last time about a year ago.  Had a great time there and those are the things I really enjoyed.

Dan

Bad Andy

I managed to watch the sun set over the Pyramids which was very good. The only downside is that it was from the pizza hut that practically looks over the Sphinx (which is in itself quite disappointing).

You can actually climb in the pyramids and if it is just you and the guide, slip him a few Egyptian Pounds and they let you lie in the actual tomb.

Try and make sure you go to Luxor and visit the Valley of the Kings too, you can actually see the development of hieroglyphs from the earliest tombs to the later ones.

Hire a felucca out for the evening and be floated down the nile during sunset (I'm not really a sunrise person).

being an out and out tourist is the best way to enjoy Egypt, but be careful not to get ripped off. The amount of people wanting something from you can get a bit wearing.

Dudley

Where in England?  Cos if it's Coventry you're up skev creek without a paddle.

Trout

Bah to England. Come to Scotland!

Wils

Cos if it's Coventry you're up skev creek without a paddle.

Living only 12 miles away and having gone to Uni there, I can confirm that Cov is indeed a stinking rectal pube.

Valhalla

hi guys,

Thanks for your advice.

DD thanks so much for the offer. I may well take you up on that if Mel is comfortable with it.

We were already considering the Singapore Zoo. We're both big fans of good zoo's and taronga has been partially closed for the past year for refurbishment. So the night zoo would certainly give us our fix.

We're hoping to try everything unusal and different that we can so we're both really looking forward to Singapore.

I actually stopped over for a week when my family emigrated to Oz. I was a 7 yr old english boy and it was crazy!! I'd never seeen an asian person (except for the family who ran the chinese down the rd), bugs the size of my head or croc farms.

Can't wait for another culture shock!!

In Egypt we're doing a kumuka tour. Decided to do a tour rather than fly solo due to the culture/language barrier. We'll get to do all the things you guys have suggested including 2 night on a felucca.

In England we'll be spending most of our time in London (where our kiwi friends living) and the mersey area (where my family lives). Funnily enough I also have family in .......Coventry. So we'll be in the "stinking rectal pube " for a few days.

What sights would you guys suggest? I'm interested in hearing about the non traditional tourist sights, pop culture sights etc?

valhalla

Link: http://kumuka.com.au/MEasttour.asp?t=ME1&d=ME1.pdf" target="_blank">kumuka tour