Main Menu

Extreme 9: MACH 1 (You only die once)

Started by Bolt-01, 18 April, 2005, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Only a most cursory glance so far, the cover is Aces though!

Glad to see a second EE for this character, as the first one was gret old-school fun.

Bolt-01

Cover will pop up when it gets uploaded!http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/reprints/mediumres/extreme9.jpg">

The Amstor Computer

The cover is indeed aces, and courtesy of my creaking, old scanner:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/extreme9.jpg">

Byron Virgo

Carlsborg Expert

come on "DC"

come up with a better *recent* cover than that.

BOFF!

Lord Running Clam

Whens this out?And is this the rest of the story?

Funt Solo

I just got it in the post today (subscriber), so I guess it'll be in the shops this week.

According to the contents blurb - these are the "definitively final" episodes of MACH1.

S
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

I've only read the opening story - it's really good (much to my surprise) and deals with a wide range of themes:  backwater brutality, parental brutality & aggressive xenophobia amongst them.

It's hyper-real (like ER) but it's a good read so far.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

The Amstor Computer

"Jim Murray?"

Yup. Luvverly-jubberly, innit?

Byron Virgo

Steamboy

mmmnnn, nice cover. Didn't like the First MACH1 E.E. too much though...It made me "angry in my head".  Just seemed very clunky and old, particularly the way he described everything he was doing as he was doing it, didn't they think the story was going to have any art or something? or is this how alot of older comics told their stories?

CU krestel

Funt Solo

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

Aha - MACH ZERO...another Millsian beast-deserving-of-sympathy.  "Zero's brain on fire!"

MACH ZERO, just about every dinosaur star from Flesh (well, Old-One-Eye and that swimmy one from book 2), Big George from Mars, Charlie from the Terra-Meks story.  They're all big and clumsy and get poked, prodded and bullied until eventually they say "enough's enough" and have a go.

I'm not slagging Mills off:  they're some of my favourite characters.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

therev

Ooooh I wondered when the next one was out.
Mine hasn't turned up yet thou.

Byron Virgo

Mills didn't write M.A.C.H Zero or Flesh book 2: they were written by Steve MacManus and Geoffrey Miller respectively.

Funt Solo

Aha.  So the "caged beast" is just a mainstay of early 2000AD then.

Cheers for the knowledge, Byron.

Artificial Idiot

The thing that struck me about this collection, was how well it stuck togeather. Which is impressive, considering a different writer picked up the character with every story.

Maybe I'm just easily awed... But it flowed like one person was writing the whole thing.

Tweak72

ah M. A. C. H. 1 one of the the old "fillers" for the 2000ad annuals sorry but it was boring afer several years of finding it in ever one
but better then that bloody polar bear but not as good as "Old one eye"
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++