Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelAWilkinson

Wasn't he in the Hitler Youth?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

paulvonscott

"Wasn't he in Hitler youth?"

Well he wasn't in Musical Youth.

Quirkafleeg

Still nice to see a Pope that can actually walk and talk again...

(Or as someone I know commented... "All that poor bastard can look forward to is being shoved out on a balcany when he's on his death bed."

Leigh S

didnt they say he was 78 though - and doesnt that make him in his early 20s during the war? Bit old for the Hitler Youth...  

The Amstor Computer

IIRC, he was born in 1927. That would have made him just 12 at the outbreak of war, and certainly young enough to have been a member of the Hitler Youth. Also, as LMS' quote above says, it's something that has been confirmed by his official biographer.

Bico

Wasn't he in Electric Youth?

SamuelAWilkinson

Wasn't he in Sonic Youth?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Bico

So he ran away from the Nazis at home, hiding out elsewhere and didn't make a point of standing up for the jews (either at home or elsewhere)?

You could sort of tell he was going to be big in the catholic church, couldn't you?

Adrian Bamforth

Being a conservative pope must be a pretty stressful job.

"Holy Father, we were wondering, now it's your first day as Pope, what do you think we should tackle first?"

"Well, let's just...not get carried away shall we? I mean, no point in rocking to boat and all that. In fact, I thought perhaps it might be quite a good idea to...change nothing at all about the Catholic Church."

"Yes, thank you Father, can I just say we're really looking forward to working with you?"

ADE

Dudley

"Pass the salver on de left hand side"

GordonR

"When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he was required by law to join the Hitler Youth"

That's rubbish.  My dad's about the same age as Ratzinger, and no-one made him join the Hitler Youth.

Anyway...

Some German bloke in funny clothes up on the balcomny of a big fancy building and accepting ther cheers of a crowd of hundreds of thousands of people?

Seems strangely familiar...

(Oh dear, it'll be extra penance for that one at Holy Cross RC church this Saturday, when I attend my son's First Communion.)

GordonR

"So he ran away from the Nazis at home, hiding out elsewhere and didn't make a point of standing up for the jews (either at home or elsewhere)?"

Uh-huh.  And what would you have done as a terrified sixteen year-old boy?

Dudley

Shouldn't the head of the largest religious organisation in the world not be an ex-Nazi, no matter how reluctant, nor someone given to pronouncing that "homosexuality reveals inherent moral evil"?

Banners

And what would you have done as a terrified sixteen year-old boy?

At 16? I'd probably have had a wank.

M@

paulvonscott

He was never a member of the Nazi party, FQ.

He was a member of the Hitler Youth, as was everyone of that age in the area.

Membership of Nazi Party/Hitler Youth, are two very different things.

"Teenage Pope didn't assasinate Hitler - is he fit for the job?"