Main Menu

I just saw The Day After Tomorrow

Started by Max Kon, 20 July, 2005, 07:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Kon

This thread is general as it was on a DVD Tharg gave me.

I'd like to thank you all for making it an enjoyable film. I came at it with such low expectations from reading all you'd said about it that i liked it, it was far better than i had expected, my dad didn't like it, but he came thinking it'd be quite good, and didn't like it.

I think it's message was good. Even if it wasn't technically accurate. Yes, the Mediterranean sea will still be there and Europe will look like a white version of now (nazis will be pleased).
Pity the Mediterranean ocean would disappear again, and the oceans would have begun to freeze over buy then, especially near the coast.

Max

paulvonscott

You just got around to watching that?

Dudley

Hey, so did I (last week)!

I can't agree with Max.  It was exactly as piss-poor as I expected.

Max Kon

your expectations weren't low enough then.

Yeah i only got round to it. Wasn't bothered, my dad wanted to see it, so i saw it too.

Quirkafleeg

There's 20 mins of fun (wave, tornados) in 2 hours of utter shite there... "They wolves have escaped!" Well I wonder if they will be turning up again...

Satanist

The most unbelievable part of that film is where the mighty Glasgow Celtic are getting beat at the start!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Lobo Baggins

Heh - I liked the scene where a collection of 'Young American Geniuses' (apparently, their main claim to genius is their ability to answer some Weakest Link-grade general knowledge questions in teams of three) decide that they have to burn all the books in a library in order to survive because there's 'nothing else to burn' - despire all the bopoks being on shelves, which are made of wood... which would not only burn, but would burn hotter and for much longer than paper...

They're later seen complaining that they've almost run out of books to burn, and they still haven't burned the shelves or the furniture...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Max Kon

well, obviously they were Nazi's and favoured book burning

Wake

This thread is general as it was on a DVD Tharg gave me.

Even a thread about the Judge Dredd movie is better placed in Film/TV than General

Cheers,

Wake

Max Kon

oh yeah, ok, didn't see that subject. whoops

Steamboy

well, I liked it.  Like Max said I went in with pretty low expectations and found it quite enjoyable for the usual Americocentric end of the world movie.  I'm a real sucker for doom scenarios and this certainly had some eye opening end of the world stuff in it.

CU Steamboy

Funt Solo

It was entertaining fluff.

I quite liked the conceit that Mexico were suddenly in a position to tell America to feck off.

Might have been interesting to see a movie set after the effects of global warming, rather than this "it all happened in a day" gubbins.

I know - make a movie of Give Me Liberty (by Frank Millar & Dave Gibbons).

Talking of Dave Gibbons, shouldn't he be re-hired to paint a new Rogue Trooper epic based on Apocalypse Now?  No?
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Carlsborg Expert

Didnt they do that in General Gunn?

Funt Solo

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Carlsborg Expert

Hah!
That reminds me. Someone asked me which Beatle represented me the most.

I said Peter Sutcliffe.

:)