Main Menu

Chill this winter with the Galaxy's Greatest Comic

Started by 2000AD Online, 14 October, 2005, 10:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

Probably one of the best ideas that Rebellion have come up with in ages, I reckon.  The prog can be a bit 'dead man's boots' to get into- especially if you're waiting for a Future Shock slot to open up!

One-offs like these can only offer a bit more encouragement to aspiring artists/writers and give the readers a better chance to form an opinion on them.

Well done Rebellion*

:)

*except for you, ROBO K33F.  You're still on the 'Hulk-must-smash' list.
Pffft...

ukdane

Probably one of the best ideas that Rebellion have come up with in ages, I reckon. The prog can be a bit 'dead man's boots' to get into- especially if you're waiting for a Future Shock slot to open up!

Yeah, but of all those names, how many have you NEVER heard of before?

Masters Rennie and Wagner must be especially proud to still be thought of as "new talent" ;-)

(maybe it's a "breaking-into-America" thing)
Cheers

-Daney

Matt Timson

To be honest, I didn't really pay too much attention to who was in it.  Have I ben duped by a clever marketing ploy after all?!?

Either way, I still like the idea- maybe Rebellion could put together a special FS/PI issue every now and then or something?  Maybe it's just not cost effective enough?

Anyone?
Pffft...

The Adventurer

I thought there was a Winter Special every year?
And a Prog 200X

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Artificial Idiot

I *think* I've just reserved mine. You only have to tick off the winter special, say you want one and then put your subs number in right?

Or did they need name/credit card details, etc. as well? :s

Funt Solo

>>"I thought there was a Winter Special every year?
>>And a Prog 200X

Nope, there were 7 winter specials (1988-1990 / 1992-1995).  Prog 200X started in 2000, didn't it?

Back in the day, each year could have a sci-fi special, a winter special, a mega-special and two annuals/yearbooks.  No wonder I couldn't afford them all.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Bolt-01

AI: I hope so, cause that's all I did as well.

Bolt-01

Buddy

Great idea, looking forward to this.

Maybe now tharg will see what he's missing in not giving Rufus more work in the prog.

Get Rufus on Dredd! Christ, it's not rocket science.

But what would his driod name be?

Matt Timson

Can his name actually get any whackier?!?
Pffft...

Art

Masters Rennie and Wagner must be especially proud to still be thought of as "new talent" ;-)

Pfff... I think you've overdosed on Dangrumf, the Danish grumpiness medication. It's pretty daring that over half the content will be writen or drawn by people who no-one will have heard of, and feature characters that no-one has heard of either. That's pretty daring even if a few pages of it feature old favorites.

Funt Solo

I have never heard of:

Ben Counter
Dave Kendall
Russell Hossain
Lee Townsend
Arthur Wyatt
Inaki Miranda
Eva De La Cruz
Jaspre Bark  
Stu Taylor
Kev Crossley
[+ the stabilo winners]

I have heard of:

Al Ewing (but I don't know why)
Rufus Dayglo (but only on this board)
Jamie Grant (Moniaive comic)
John Wagner (wrote a couple of things)
Gordon Rennie (wrote a couple less things)
Richard Elson (AHAB / Atavar?)
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Artificial Idiot

Inaki and Eva were responsible for a lot of metro Dredds. They also did a lovely one pager on the back of FutureQuake 4 (coughpimpcough)

Trout

Enthusiastic applause from me for this project.

In particular, some of the names there were at the "difficult second album" stage, where they had had a few things used, but weren't getting the work, as established creators were in the way.

I'll happily pay two quid for a professionally edited showcase of new talent.

- Trout

Leigh S

Does that mean you'll grumnpily pay ?2.99?
:)

Trout

Heh. It depends what stage my current hangover's at. :-)

- Trout