Main Menu

what illogical things scared you when you were a kid?

Started by Conexus, 02 November, 2005, 02:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Three Billy Goats Gruff

Hmm, I too had nightmares about that bastard.

Oh, and one of those Norwegian troll things that was at the scout hut reminded me off him. Horrible horrible horrible things!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Bico

The old Moomins stop-motion tv show (not the animated cartoon) had some evil thing in the forest that coveted the magic hat one of the Moomins had.  I never saw what it was, or if it even existed outside my own imagination, but it worried me greatly, nonetheless.

Byron Virgo

I had the exact same thing about the original Moomins! I think, secretly, that's why I was so dissapointed with the animated version - it completely failed to shit me up, and was so fucking twee. I remember that, as a kid, it once angered me to such a degree that I actually attacked the screen with a walking stick.

I still fear technology even now...it reeks of the future...

VampiraJen

he-man's cat - cringer? - i had the toy and my dad had to get rid of it through the night coz it was scaring the shit out of me.

Queen Firey-Bou

that time when i was abducted by aliens.

okay okay, what actually happened was;
It was the hot summer of 76, in somerset, i was a cute little 9 yr old. i was in my b'room painting & glueing smarty tubes & loo roll tubes to make a ...thing ? ( clearly a homing beacon for aliens )

i was stood at my desk, the lights went out, there was this terrifying flash & un-goddly noise like a celestial plug hole draining noisily.

there was something there, in the pitch black.

i appear to have blacked out, my mother is shaking me, somehow i'm the other end of the room curled up feotal under the bed.

hmmmm, clearly alien abduction.
or bad remembering of a sheet lightning related power cut & childhood fient/ panic attack ?

actually thinking about it, i used to fient a lot...  thats not normal for a kid ?!?

thinky

i remember being terrified by the opening credits of "armchair thriller" with the man's shadow cast over the chair.

I can't remember if the programme itself was scary, but it was on @ 2pm ish during the week, which for any school-dodging schoolkids was wholly inappropriate

thinky

i preferred it when 'crown court' was on instead - although if 'the sullivans' was on at lunchtime, i'd already had my quota of top-tv for the day.http://www.adversecamber.co.uk/pics/armchair.gif">
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Matt Timson

I still occasionally hum the tune to armchair thriller- which is quite disturbing in itself...
Pffft...

Wils

I can't remember if the programme itself was scary

Judge for yourself...

Link: http://www.angelfire.com/hero/nero0/pin/thetower.mpg" target="_blank">Jemima Shore gets shat up!

Wils

occasionally hum the tune to armchair thriller

For the last couple of weeks, I've found myself doing that with the theme tune from Terry & June for some unknown reason. :s

Steve Green

That would be an ace halloween costume.

I remember an episode of Star Trek really freaking me out when I was a kid (Charlie X blanking someones face)...

- Steve

Queen Firey-Bou

how about completely logical things which scared the crap outta you today ? things which involved cliffs 100s of feet above the road, pishing rain & no phone signal & getting stuck...

xtreem dog walking Bou.

ps. fooking hell wheres me horlix.

hag

i was a very sketchy kid, grew up with a bullying older sister, in a house with lots of coridoors and a celler, ouch.

i do remember being reduced to a panic attack by star trek, the borg still minorly freak me out.

Mike Carroll

Anyone remember an old British show called Beasts? There was one episode where these people were renovating an old cottage and in a hollow wall they found a horrible decayed thing wrapped in old rags... I won't go on because even now, it creeps me out just thinking baout it!

Mike C

Byron Virgo

You mean Nigel Kneale's Beasts? Man, I wish I could get ahold of that. And The Year of the Sex Olympics too...some of us don't have this new-fangled digital television, you know...

I always found the Cookie Monster on Sesamie Street disturbing, since he had this overly-large mouth, and a preponderance for violent chomping action, so I felt it was only a matter of time before he tried to gobble me up like some fleshy Hob Nob.

I actually had a mate who was literally petrified by The Count from Sesamie Street as a kid, and will still freak out even now if he sees a picture or hears the voice of the numerically obsessed blood sucker.

Queen Firey-Bou

"horrible decayed thing wrapped in old rags... "

useless fake memory alert,
 was it a dead half mumified dead cat which was buried alive in the walls as part of a witch craft curse? did this really happen in plague times ? or was it sommat to do with dick turpin ?

ooo ooo those standing stones which moved in the scary kids program.

and was there a program with peter duncan as a kid, drama, scary , with a bad guy in leathers ? man that bad guy really really creeped me out.  if he existed.

childhood was such a long long time ago.