Main Menu

Modern Shakespeare Interpretations

Started by Funt Solo, 28 November, 2005, 11:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

This series on BBC1 is great - I didn't get into the Macbeth one so much (it was very dark and grimy, reminding me too much of The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover) but last week's Taming of the Shrew was hysterical and tonight's A Midsummer Night's Dream wonderful (and packed to the gills with quality actors).
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Adrian Bamforth

Personally, I never really feel it's Christmas until I've watched a new version of A Christmas Carol with a contemporary twist: Scrooge as a East-End gangster/debt collector/divorcee father/frog (delete as applicable).

ADE

hag

taming of the shrew was really good, better than any of those teenaged pap prom versions. much ado about nothing, good, but nothing amazingly special.

i'm looking forward to bittorrenting midsummers night, oh tomorrow, tomorrow....

James

Heh. I read this as Marlon Shakespeare interpretations, and was expecting something along the lines of that new Zarjaz exhibition.

Queen Firey-Bou

darned with ignoring tv i didnt realise there was a series, i'd have liked to see macbeth, & middsummer, hamlets my favorite are they doing that one?  or the tempest ?

i seem to remember switching over from the shrew tho & having a little rant about how i like my shakespear in olde costume, but it depends how its done, like the romeo & juilette film is wonderful... i suppose i like the words to be in their original form.

Funt Solo

Only the plots remain intact, I'm afraid, Bou.  The scripts and locations have been well and truly modernised.

I just checked the beeb site and unfortunately that was the last ShakespeaRe-Told in the series.  Hopefully, they'll get a repeat.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.