Main Menu

EXTREME EDITION :I DON'T BLOODY BELIEVE IT

Started by johnone, 10 February, 2006, 02:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Spalding

I would doubt Harry Twenty is likely to get an EE as t was reprinted in the Meg not so long back.

As for me, I bought the first few EE's, but stopped after the "parody" issue, none have really appealed enough for me to get since then.

Funt Solo

Following my patented "I'm always right" style of reviewing, here's a Chewin' The Fat review of the EE series:

X 01: JD: Dredd vs. Death *good guy*
X 02: JD: Definitive Maybe *good guy*
X 03: Invasion: Volgs Out *wank*
X 04: Ant Wars *wank*
X 05: Bix Barton: Ooh, I Say! *wank*
X 06: M.A.C.H. 1 [1]*wank*
X 07: Flesh: Book II (& JD) *good guy*
X 08: Firekind *good guy*
X 09: M.A.C.H. 1 [2]*wank*
X 10: JD: Darkside *good guy*
X 11: Meltdown Man [1] *good guy*
X 12: Meltdown Man [2] *good guy*
X 13: Harlem Heroes *wank*
X 14: Bad City Blue *wank*

That's 7 wanks and 7 good guys.  

They would maybe have a broader appeal if they used a consistent anthology approach.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

opaque

Meltdown Man would have been better as a GN.
A collection of Future Shocks would be wonderful as several GN's.

I have nothing against the idea of EE's. But the problem is that some of them are just not long enough. And my opinion is that an EE should only contain one story. Otherwise it's just a 'Best Of' and might as well be called that.

Bad City isn't amazing but it was good to re-read it, even if it ended suddenly.

Artificial Idiot

Hey, hey! I liked Invasion, MACH 1, Harlem Heroes and Bad City Blue - Tirbal Memories was a bit naff though. So the last EE only gets half marks.

The Amstor Computer

Fate --

Heh :-) And just to show that some of the EE choices hit home with other readers, here's my own CtF list:

X 01: JD: Dredd vs. Death *wank*
X 02: JD: Definitive Maybe *good guy*
X 03: Invasion *good guy*
X 04: Ant Wars *good guy*
X 05: Bix Barton *wank*
X 06: M.A.C.H. 1 *good guy*
X 07: Flesh: Book II (& JD) *good guy*
X 08: Firekind *good guy*
X 09: M.A.C.H. 1 *good guy*
X 10: JD: Darkside *wank*
X 11: Meltdown Man [1] *good guy*
X 12: Meltdown Man [2] *good guy*
X 13: Harlem Heroes *good guy*
X 14: Bad City Blue *good guy*

IMO, the EE experiment has been pretty damn successful so far, and while I think it's going to begin running out of steam a year or two from now, there's still enough stuff worth reprinting.

johnone

ok , lets face it Dredd vs Death was just a promotional gimmick launched to "celebrate"the release of the game , definitive maybe was more like it and is what I paid to see,in its defence Invasion was butchered , basically we only got to see a tenth of what was published originally , what about the firing squads in wembley stadium story or the Volgan Channel tunnel?Ant Wars was always crap but it was enjoyable crap , the rest ?well never liked Bix  a bit too camp and clever for its own good , Mach 1 again an early classic (please remember it was the seventies and it was a rip off of a certain million dollar man but do you ever think they'd have had oscar kill Lee Majors in the end on the tv?), flesh book 2 a good laugh nice to see again after 26 years!Firekind Huh? never got it but again perfect material for the EE and readers who missed it the first time, Darkside ,Feh !not the best and not the worst I've Seen but meltdown man jesus how long it took me to forget the term yunjee please take it back!Harlem Heroes outstanding to see printed another story that helped launch 2000ad.and as for bad city blue well you know what I think of that and come to think of it tribal memories is pretty naff as well what next Danzigs Inferno? or god forbid Revere?and thats my arguement the EE when launched was supposed to show case the best of the past and stories long forgotten and there is 29 years of 2000ad and 15 of  megazine back material to to choose from so quality can easily match the quantity in this situation. please think about this before releasing the next one

satchmo

Id love to see Return To Armageddon in EE,its bonkers and it was the first non Dredd strip that got me hooked back in the day (well that and Meltdown Man).
Or what about the vast amounts of Daily Star Dredds that arent even fully documented on this site, never mind available to read? DSDs arent everyones cup of tea but its an unloved, forgotten corner of Dredd that deserves to be seen I think.
ps this is my first post for bloody ages so hello!

Max Kon

Please copy the following into the http://www.2000adonline.com/chat.php target='new'> database chat room

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/icons/victor.gif>

/icon victor

Max

I, Cosh

Bonjo from Beyond the Stars
Sooner or Later
SWANT (oops, wrong comic)
Droid Life (if you need to pad it out)

Genius.
We never really die.

johnone

Bonjo From beyond the stars hell yes , now theres an oddity a lot of people have never seen but if you have bonjo then you have to have Dash Decent , the final episode printed in the 2000ad annual 1982 and its companion making of strip are still classics in taking the piss!