Main Menu

Now that's what I call 2000 A.D.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 17 February, 2006, 05:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

A colleague of mine is an ex-squaxx and when we went for a curry a while ago we got to talking about how he'd like to read old stories again. I told him about the reprints but he said he never goes to comic shops and wouldn't be able to pick a single volume anyway. 2k's variety was part of the appeal so a whole year of Dredd reprints wouldn't recreate the buzz of all the different stories and styles. And an anthology would have all the great artists and writers in it.

He said he'd buy in an instant a compilation book with, essentially, 2000 A.D.'s greatest hits in it, especially if it were sold in Smiths next to the Viz annuals. So we nattered on about what it should have in it. Our suggestions were confined to the first 6 or so years and tried to cram as much into one 300 or so page book as possible.

Stronty and Robohunter were guaranteed places. Full stories for them. He remembered Deaths Head and Football Crazy fondly so they were in. That's 50 pages already.

Slaine was tougher to pick stories for but we plumped for Shoggy Beast because of the McMahon artwork and you've got to have McMahon. Another 25 pages.

Dredd was harder to decide. In the end he suggested the first Death story. I said it's been reprinted ad nauseum. He pointed out he'd not seen it in 25 years. I also suggested Sob Story, and though it didn't ring a bell the mention of Otto Sump got a smile so that was included to. Another 20 odd pages. That left us with a third of our hypothetical page count already taken by 4 strips, but 4 major strips. You could probably justify having a lot of Dredd in the collection, stories like Vienna, The Return of Rico, or with Don Uggie Apelino in.

Rogue Trooper needed to be included. Preferably with Kennedy and Gibson artwork. Didn't matter which stories. Another 20 pages or so.

There was a long arguement over whether to have Robusters or the A.B.C.'s. In the end the RoBusters with Big George won. Another 20 pages.

Nemesis caused a problem cause he had to be in but his series were too long. The two pilots got picked cause of the O'Neil factor. 15 more pages.

I wanted Ace Garp in the mix, and the firs episode is a perfect read by itself. 7 pages. The prologue to Halo Jones with the historian talking to a student got in too. That's another 6 pages.

By now we we're about half way through. Episodes of M.A.C.H. 1, Invasion and the Harlem Heroes took up another 30 pages.

Halfway through the main course Dan suddenly remembered Shako and said he had to be in the book. We both remembered being freaked out by the Future Shock with the pineapple headed alien and the hungry astronauts, other memorable Future Shocks involved huge spikey aliens (The Plaquw?') and the one with the sun spots. Ant Wars and The V.C.'s were talked about. Flesh had to be included. Dan didn't mind if they weren'r complete stories but felt an intro page for each strip would be nice, especially if they were written by Tharg himself. At which point we both thought that Eric Bradbury was the man for Tharg.

Anyway we passed the meal discussing a hypothetical book. Mainly discussing old comics, which is as pleasant a way of spending an hour or so as any, I suppose. Possibly a no goer but a chunky book about ?15 or so with bits and bobs of early 2k might sell well to the many, many people who don't read the weekly anymore.

Anyone agree/disagree? Suggestions for what would have to be included?

DavidXBrunt

God. What a hideously long post. Short version.

What would you put in a Greatest Hits collection of the first few years of 2k.

Funt Solo

Great idea.  I've had my fill of the really early stuff (in recent EEs) and I'd definitely go for something that encapsulates my personal golden age of 2K.  In my choices, I've also put aside the shorter Future Shocks style stories, nabbed some of your ideas and come up with the following 300pp behemoth of thrill-power:

Brand new multi-character cover by Bolland: 1pp
Intro by Tharg: 1pp
Cosmic Contents: 1pp
Judge Dredd - The Graveyard Shift: 45pp
Strontium Dog - The Killing: 51pp
Ro-Busters - The Terra-Meks: 27pp
Terror Tube [+ 167 cover]: 7pp
Slaine - The Shoggey Beast: 23pp
Ace Trucking Co. - Too Many Bams: 31pp
Rogue Trooper - All Hell On The Dix-I Front: 48pp
The ABC Warriors - [Mad George]: 18pp
Mad George [138 cover]: 1pp
Judge Dredd - The Starborn Thing: 38pp
Killer Watt: 7pp
Back cover - ad for the weekly: 1pp

At 300pp, you could take out Killer Watt and then have room for a splash intro page for each story, which might help new readers get to grips with things.

I've tried to mix it up so that the more serious tales are juxtaposed with lighter fare, whilst giving most of the 2K classics a good showing.

JD gets two tales because he's the cornerstone of the comic.  I think The Graveyard Shift is a fabulous introduction to Mega-City One, and The Starborn Thing is one of my all time favourites, whilst also taking us out of the city.

With both The Terra-Meks (crowd pleaser) and Mad George, we're not short of giant stompy robots.

In terms of artistic talent, there's a good mix there, with Ron Smith, Carlos Ezquerra (twice), Dave Gibbons, Kevin O'Neill, Mike McMahon (twice), Massimo Belardinelli, Colin Wilson, Cam Kennedy, and Brett Ewins.

I just wish I could have fitted in Nemesis Book II, with that gorgeous art from Jesus Redondo.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

I, Cosh

Holy smoke! What a great idea! I will have to be soberer before I consider this properly, but The Midnight Surfer is a shoo-in.

Oh, and why do people love McMahon so much?
We never really die.

Adrian Bamforth

It's a great idea, there was a nostalgic 'Jackie' magazine compilation came out a while back, I saw it in the book section, probably full of Wagner and Grant writing. The distinguishing feature would have to be, I think, the nostalgia factor as with the Jackie book rather than another format of reprints, so plenty of quaint dated stuff like letters and cutaways etc rather than the focus being on complete stories which have/can be reprinted anyway with slicker packaging.

ADE

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1853755869/qid=1140142106/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-0665029-6715039" target="_blank">Best Of Jackie Magazine

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1853755869.02._PE40_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg">

Noisybast

"Oh, and why do people love McMahon so much?"

Because... Oh, you tell 'im, Rufus...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

+rufus+

Because he is GOD.
If he can't draw it, probably wasn't worth drawing....
Nuff said.
Rufus

Funt Solo

And...

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/184.jpg" />
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

+rufus+

Yup, That's hanging near my desk...
Beeeeautiful...mmm

I, Cosh

That's an okay cover, but I've just never been keen on his style at all: it often looks like he couldn't be bothered to finish it.

I haven't read it for a long time, but I particularly remember absolutely hating his work on Slaine.
We never really die.

+rufus+

Many readers didn't like Mick's style, c'est la vie.
Some prefer a more realistic style, personally I love Mick's work.
Nearly all the artists I know love his work too.
   Mick's got a unique take on things,always pushing past the comfort zones of the reader, a bit like the Picasso of Comics.
 He could so easily have just turned in the same thing over and over as many others do (and it'd have made his career easier), but he really is an inquisitive and brave artist.
That's why I love 2000AD more than any other comic, where else would you find such diversity?
 I'm kind of pleased others don't like his work, makes his work feel even more special.
 Still...
When I'm put in charge....
You'll all kneel to him!!
:-) Rufus

Matt Timson

I remember hating his Slaine stuff as well- and couldn't believe that anyone could draw so badly.  I look at it again now and wonder what I was ever thinking about- it's fantastic.

I guess your artistic eye changes over time.  Well mine did, anyway.
Pffft...

Funt Solo

Clearly, Deadlock needs to operate on your brain.

I mean...

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/204.jpg" />

...and...

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/206.jpg" />

Buttonman

Great if you could arrange bespoke editions of your favourite thrills rather than have someone else's choice being thrust upon you - no Slaine thanks very much. What I'd want would be longer, but not too long, adventures of our favourite, and classic characters.

Some examples would include:

Strontium Dog : The Moses Incident - Real emotion there and best baddie ever in Malak Brood

Rogue Trooper : To the ends of Nu Earth - Real exitement, top Cam Kennedy Artwork and the natural end for the GI.

Ro-Busters: Bax The Burner (1982 Annual) A less seen outing but one of the funner ones. 'Just an old flame' - classic!

Dredd : Wounded Knee, Zombies, Un-American Graffitti and Alien Zoo (1982 Annual good one that!) Various sides of the lawman and a cracking Bolland outing on the Alien Zoo.

D.R. & Quinch Do Hollywood : Best of a cracking bunch. Never watch the Godfather again with out the oranges coming to mind.

Anderson : Shamballa - Her first real solo outing with cracking art and a sad ending.

Future Shock : The Hunted - First 2000ad memory was of that alien realising it was in a spaceship jungle hunting game. Hooked for good.

I, Cosh

Each to his own. After all, Simon Harrison is still one of my favourites...

I totally agree about the diversity of the artwork being one of the big strengths of 2000AD and it's often very interesting to see different artists takes on the same character, with Slaine being a particularly good example of this.

So, while we're on the subject, here's something else that has surprised me in the short time I've been frequenting this board. Everyone loves Carlos Ezquerra, but I've never thought he was particularly great. I don't actively dislike his work, it's usually nice enough, but it just doesn't "pump my 'nads."

A mate (who used-to-be-a-reader-but-gave-up-around-800) was round at mine, flicking through some recent progs and sagely observed:
"I don't remember being particularly keen on Ezquerra back in the day, but it's kind of reassuring to see he's still there."

Which pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. Anyway, if I survive this one, next up is Colin MacNeil... ;-)
We never really die.